Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Don't bother with the mixed blade pack, just get the feather blades, there far better than anything else I've tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

From past experience of shaving.ie, you are in time to order for Christmas. I prefer soap and a bristle brush to cream and a badger, but there is no right or wrong way ⎯ everything in this game comes down to what you find suits you best. However a styptic pencil is something I wouldn't be without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Don't bother with the mixed blade pack, just get the feather blades, there far better than anything else I've tried

It's best to start off with the mixed blade pack to see what blades suit him best. Feathers don't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Thanks guys. Any alternatives to the below as it doesn't appear to be in stock?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/black-silvertip-special-iii.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

L'Occitan Plisson.

• Advertisement

Possibly blind but not seeing that on the site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Yup, feather blades didn't agree with me. At all.

The Derby blades, or the Gillette 5 O'Clocks (think that's the name), suited me better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'd go with a cream also but I'd get an Edwin Jagger DE89 over the Muhle R89. Exact same razor but as far as I know the finishing on the EJ is superior. From what I've heard their customer service is outstanding also.

+1 for this. Have had my db89 from EJ for a year now. Plating on the corners started to come off and so I sent on EJ an email and they sent me a new head, a complimentary pack of feather blades, a sample of their new moisturizer and soap and a handful written thank you note. Guys are a dream to deal with.

mugs11 wrote: »
    Possibly blind but not seeing that on the site!

Shaving.ie doesn't stock them but you can buy one online or in your nearest L'Occitane store.
    gavmcg92 wrote: »
    +1 for this. Have had my db89 from EJ for a year now. Plating on the corners started to come off and so I sent on EJ an email and they sent me a new head, a complimentary pack of feather blades, a sample of their new moisturizer and soap and a handful written thank you note. Guys are a dream to deal with.

EJ are great. Got a sample of one of their new creams with my last order and it's absolutely brilliant. Totally outclassed the cella I'm using at the moment.

Shaving.ie doesn't stock them but you can buy one online or in your nearest L'Occitane store.

Great, thanks. And that's a good one to use with a cream?

• Advertisement

EJ are great. Got a sample of one of their new creams with my last order and it's absolutely brilliant. Totally outclassed the cella I'm using at the moment.
    Was it the lime and pomegranate by any chance? They sent me on the sample and I bought a full puck the next day... So I guess their plan worked on me! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

I just want to throw in another positive testimonial for shaving.ie; I ordered circa €130 worth of stuff last Tuesday evening and I received it Friday morning. That's pretty good service if you ask me! I'm now looking forward to Stephen's day when I can finally have my first 'proper' shave :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Shred wrote: »
    I just want to throw in another positive testimonial for shaving.ie; I ordered circa €130 worth of stuff last Tuesday evening and I received it Friday morning. That's pretty good service if you ask me! I'm now looking forward to Stephen's day when I can finally have my first 'proper' shave :p

You will never look back - shaving is now a joy rather than a chore. What did you get?

Orion wrote: »
    You will never look back - shaving is now a joy rather than a chore. What did you get?

Cheers! I got the following:

Edwin Jagger 3D DE3D14BL
    Barber Shaving Towels x 2 by Muhle
    Gillette 7 O Clock Sharp Edge DE Blades
    Muhle Black Shaving Mug
    Proraso Red Sandalwood Pre Post Shave Cream
    Proraso Sandalwood with Shea Butter
    Semogue 2020 Badger Brush
    Styptic Pencil

I didn't really have the time to research each item fully tbh, but I did want the EJ DE89l as a starting point (going on reviews here and elsewhere), which was unfortunately out of stock until January. I figure I'll end up trying different combinations over time anyway.

mugs11 wrote: »
    Great, thanks. And that's a good one to use with a cream?

I've used it with soaps and creams and found it great with all of them. There's a common myth you'll hear often that stiffer brushes are better with hard soaps because they 'dig in' and pick up more of the soap but it's nonsense in my experience.
    Was it the lime and pomegranate by any chance? They sent me on the sample and I bought a full puck the next day... So I guess their plan worked on me! Haha

Mint shaving cream I think. Doesn't seem to be in stock on the site.

Cheers! I got the following:

Edwin Jagger 3D DE3D14BL
    Barber Shaving Towels x 2 by Muhle
    Gillette 7 O Clock Sharp Edge DE Blades
    Muhle Black Shaving Mug
    Proraso Red Sandalwood Pre Post Shave Cream
    Proraso Sandalwood with Shea Butter
    Semogue 2020 Badger Brush
    Styptic Pencil

I didn't really have the time to research each item fully tbh, but I did want the EJ DE89l as a starting point (going on reviews here and elsewhere), which was unfortunately out of stock until January. I figure I'll end up trying different combinations over time anyway.
    Nice set. I'm not mad on the 7 o'clocks. Have a few left over. If you like them pm me your address and i'll post what I've left to you with some others I'll never use again like Derby.

Be curious to see what the prorasa cream is like. I use the prepost one but Taylor sandlewood I love.

I chose the blades based on a thread from another forum and just bought one packet to try them, so I'll see how I get on (thanks for the offer btw!). What would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

There's a common myth you'll hear often that stiffer brushes are better with hard soaps because they 'dig in' and pick up more of the soap but it's nonsense in my experience.
    I must disagree. I have a silver-tip badger, a present from my very generous girlfriend, and it works beautifully with cream. But I find I need the extra stiffness of a bristle (my http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-81064-shaving-brush.html) to break up a hard soap like http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-shaving-soap-bowl.html, which is my everyday shave.

I chose the blades based on a thread from another forum and just bought one packet to try them, so I'll see how I get on (thanks for the offer btw!). What would you recommend?

Not recommending any. Every face is different. I got the 50 blade sampler pack and liked the personna as a starter and settled on the astra and feather. You might like the Gilettes more than me. If you do you're welcome to my spare ones.

For me there are a few that jump above the rest. My main blades are feathers, personas, astras and Gillette silver blues. Right now feathers and personas are what I'm switching between depending on the razor I'm using.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    Nice set. I'm not mad on the 7 o'clocks. Have a few left over. If you like them pm me your address and i'll post what I've left to you with some others I'll never use again like Derby.

Be curious to see what the prorasa cream is like. I use the prepost one but Taylor sandlewood I love.

Have would you rate the 7 o'clocks vs the silver blues? I love the latter but struggle to get more than two shaves out of them. They seem to be much thinner than other blades and have an annoying habit of 'sticking' to the head of the razor so taking them out is a real pain.

For me there are a few that jump above the rest. My main blades are feathers, personas, astras and Gillette silver blues. Right now feathers and personas are what I'm switching between depending on the razor I'm using.

Cheers, I think as Orion said I'll pick up one of the sample packs next and give a few of them a try, I really should have done that in the first place I suppose.

Cheers, I think as Orion said I'll pick up one of the sample packs next and give a few of them a try, I really should have done that in the first place I suppose.

Definitely! That's what I did. Also, don't jump into a large order of a certain blade until you are 100% happy. The more you shave, the better your technique will become and you preference for blade will change.

Also, different blades work better with different razors for me. I use persona with my Standard Razor and Feathers with my DB89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hello Gentlemen,

Herself presented me with a DE razor this evening from Santa and I couldn't wait so jumped straight in. And what a lovely shave it was. There was a serious sense of satisfaction of the razor creeping slowing over my face and hearing the stubble cut. It was the luxury starter kit from shaving.ie. Used a feather blade. Not one nick! Think i'll shave again in the morning...:)

The Gillette fusion and the few blades I have for left it will be put away for foreign holidays only.

Must get stand for the brush and razor and looking forward to adding a few bits to my collection.

I had a alum block with the kit. Just wet it and rubbed it on my face? Was that right? Didn't seem to do much I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You used the alum correctly. If there was no sting and you got a nice shave, you've done a good job.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Used a feather blade. Not one nick! Think i'll shave again in the morning...:)

I had a alum block with the kit. Just wet it and rubbed it on my face? Was that right? Didn't seem to do much I don't think.

That's better than than I did with my first Feather shave. Best of luck with the new kit. Shaving will now be a joy!

What I do with my alum block is I rub it over my face after I have washed it with warm water to clean off all of the hairs and excess cream. Leave it on for a minute or two and then wash it off with cold water.

Edit: Got a nice leather wash bag and a puck of lime soap. Looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Must get stand for the brush and razor and looking forward to adding a few bits to my collection.

Have this myself and it's a heavy, quality stand:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LS-26mm-32mm-Art-Chrome-Razor-Shaving-Brush-Stand-1-Ebony-/321751125997?var=&hash=item4ae9dc8fed:m:mwa1G8Tx3z3qQMK5E2AhZBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I am 3 shaves in and still loving it. The shaves probably could be a bit closer but I'll get there. Few tiny nicks last night around my mouth which I still find the hardest place to shave comfortably. No razor burn whatsoever and I haven't shaved 3 days in a row in years because it would ruin my neck. All I have there now is a bit of dry skin albeit nothing visibly noticeable to anyone.

Got a bit click happy after few beers Christmas eve. I must have read this entire thread and the DE one and ordered the speick intensive moisturizer and proraso pre and post shave cream - the green tea one - after having been mentioned by a few posters.

I love the green prorasa. Very refreshing. If you have dry skin try a face scrub. Boots have a half price sale on right now. Got a bulldog set with facewash, face scrub, after shave lotion and moisturiser for 11 euro yesterday.

• Advertisement

I am 3 shaves in and still loving it. The shaves probably could be a bit closer but I'll get there. Few tiny nicks last night around my mouth which I still find the hardest place to shave comfortably. No razor burn whatsoever and I haven't shaved 3 days in a row in years because it would ruin my neck. All I have there now is a bit of dry skin albeit nothing visibly noticeable to anyone.

Got a bit click happy after few beers Christmas eve. I must have read this entire thread and the DE one and ordered the speick intensive moisturizer and proraso pre and post shave cream - the green tea one - after having been mentioned by a few posters.

The white one? Lovely stuff with a really fresh lemony-apple scent.

Advertisement