Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I couldn't get a great lather with the cream and was a little hesitant with the razor but I'm sure they'll come good with time.

I spent an hour just taking my time :)

Is it cream or soap you're using? If soap then lather in the bowl. If cream then put an almond sized dollop on the brush and either lather in a bowl or on face (I do the latter).

edit: just saw it's the soap you're using. Make sure you give the brush a good soak in hot water for a few minutes before lathering. Even then I just can't get a great lather with soap due to the water in my area. I find cream much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Orion wrote: »
    Is it cream or soap you're using? If soap then lather in the bowl. If cream then put an almond sized dollop on the brush and either lather in a bowl or on face (I do the latter).

edit: just saw it's the soap you're using. Make sure you give the brush a good soak in hot water for a few minutes before lathering. Even then I just can't get a great lather with soap due to the water in my area. I find cream much better.

Thanks for that.

I'd the sink full of hot water and a shallow mug resting in it with water in that aswell to heat it up. I then left the brush resting in this and the razor to warm the blade.

I think my mistake was not taking the excess water from the brush so my lather was very thin and bubbly.

My neck and chin felt great this morning. No redness whatsoever !! First time in years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Some harder soaps benefit from a tablespoon of hot water resting on top while you soak your brush. Then pour off the water and load with your brush.

While you might build up a bit of lather in the bowl, you need to move away from the soap or you'll overload the brush with soap. A good lather is a careful balancing act of soap v water. After loading, either face lather or pick up a cheap cappuccino mug and bowl lather.

Regarding the brush, much better to start too dry (but not bone dry mind you). Add water a few drops at a time to build up the lather. Mastering a good lather with any soap (they all behave different, sticking with one will help) took me a lot longer than mastering my razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

Newbie here at this lark too.

Over the Christmas I got a Muhle R89 twist with some Muhle blades and proraso shaving cream.

I get the feeling I'm only doing it half right. I get the idea of the multiple passes and I'm getting better at following the grain. I would like to try some other blades, does anyone know where on the sharpness scale the Muhle blades sit?

bren2002 wrote: »
    Newbie here at this lark too.

Over the Christmas I got a Muhle R89 twist with some Muhle blades and proraso shaving cream.

I get the feeling I'm only doing it half right. I get the idea of the multiple passes and I'm getting better at following the grain. I would like to try some other blades, does anyone know where on the sharpness scale the Muhle blades sit?

Someone said recently they're similar to personnna ones so reasonably soft. Not sure where that info came from though. Get yourself a sampler pack from shaving.ie and try the different ones to see which ones suits you best.

I got a Muhle R89 Grande just before Christmas myself - lovely razor.

• Advertisement

Package arrived today. 14 blade sample set and a set of polsilver blades. Also picked up a tub of Thumpers sandalwood soap. After 3 weeks now (or so) with the muhle blades I should have a good baseline for comparing the other blades.

From the Christmas pack I've decided that the Speick soap stick is good but I prefer the proraso cream although the menthol might be a bit strong so i'll be trying another variant at some point too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is the Proraso soap not available on the site or am I missing it ?

You're right it's no longer listed. Just the sensitive cream.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-sensitive-shaving-cream-tube.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bren2002 wrote: »
    You're right it's no longer listed. Just the sensitive cream.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-sensitive-shaving-cream-tube.html

Thats a pity ,will have to shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I just had a lovely shave. Proraso pre shave cream, proraso shaving cream, a Gillette 7 o clock blade, alum block and proraso methol balm.

I've cut back (pardon the bun) to two passes. I can get a very close result with just the two passes with a few touch ups as the third pass.

It was my first use of the Gillettes. Used a derby the other day for the first time and it did not suit me at all. Terrible raw feeling afterwards so left a few days to recover before shaving tonight. Love the proraso pre/post shave menthol cream but it leaves a bit too much of a residue as a post shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

SeaFields wrote: »
    I just had a lovely shave. Proraso pre shave cream, proraso shaving cream, a Gillette 7 o clock blade, alum block and proraso methol balm.

I've cut back (pardon the bun) to two passes. I can get a very close result with just the two passes with a few touch ups as the third pass.

It was my first use of the Gillettes. Used a derby the other day for the first time and it did not suit me at all. Terrible raw feeling afterwards so left a few days to recover before shaving tonight. Love the proraso pre/post shave menthol cream but it leaves a bit too much of a residue as a post shave.

I'm the exact same with the derby blades (as I think a lot of people are too). For me they just don't seem to cut well.

Got a new SOC boar brush yesterday and used it today. Proraso red pre-shave, Proraso green cream with the boar. Nice stiff bristles and lovely fresh feeling from the menthol. Finished off with proraso green splash. Nice way to face the day :)

I never liked the Derby's at all. Mainly use Astras. Got a Muhle blade with my new R89 and tried that out - lovely shave. So nice I bought 20 more of them.

Got a new SOC boar brush yesterday and used it today. Proraso red pre-shave, Proraso green cream with the boar. Nice stiff bristles and lovely fresh feeling from the menthol. Finished off with proraso green splash. Nice way to face the day :)

I never liked the Derby's at all. Mainly use Astras. Got a Muhle blade with my new R89 and tried that out - lovely shave. So nice I bought 20 more of them.

Shout out to Chris in shaving.ie. Got an order today and one of the creams was the wrong one - I'd order a Geo F Trumper cream and got a Taylor of Bond Street one instead. Got on to him through the website and he immediately arranged to send out the correct one and then told me to keep the Taylor as well. Started buying from them because it's a local company and the prices are good. Keep buying from them for excellent service. Thanks Chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

SeaFields wrote: »
    I thought this DE shaving craic was supposed to save money.....!
    It does in the long run. These days I just order some pre-shave cream and shaving soap once a year, with a couple of dozen Feathers. When I got into DE shaving first, though, I was like a skanger in TK Maxx on dole day – buying among other things the wonderful Feather All-Stainless which was about €200 at the time.

I'm nearly ten years at this now and I can find nothing to beat Feathers. I use them both in a Feather All-Stainless and in a Merkur 15C http://www.shaving.ie/products/merkur-15c-open-comb-razor.html.

I still try my Dovo straight now and again, but I'm not yet brave enough for more than a few passes on my cheeks.

Michael G wrote: »
    It does in the long run. These days I just order some pre-shave cream and shaving soap once a year, with a couple of dozen Feathers. When I got into DE shaving first, though, I was like a skanger in TK Maxx on dole day – buying among other things the wonderful Feather All-Stainless which was about €200 at the time.

Yes my comment was more in jest. Quite a little collection built up so far and I have plans for a few more bits in the next few days but it is enjoyable. Got enough blades now so do me for a long time from ebay (feathers and astras) and have picked out a few bits from shaving.ie that I am going to order soon.

Four weeks in now and loving every minute of it. I've still only tried the Personnas from my sample pack but they are almost finished now so time to try some others.

My neck area is in so much better condition and no more feeling like my face is on fire after Shaving.

Had to use the electric foil razor Monday morning because I slept in and it was horrible :(

Can anyone recommend a post shave cream? I already have the Proraso Red Sandlewood Pre Shave Balm that I use post shave as well. Feel like treating myself to something else :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Good post shave balms I like to use include

- Nivea (I like the Sensitive in the White Bottle)
    - Proraso
    - Simpsons
    - Weleda
    - Village Barber
    - L'Occitane

These are priced from low to high.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a post shave cream? I already have the Proraso Red Sandlewood Pre Shave Balm that I use post shave as well. Feel like treating myself to something else :)
    I actually don't use a balm anymore at all. Just a splash lotion. Get a good one and it feels great afterwards. Current ones I have are the Speick with witchhazel, Proraso green, and my favourite believe it or not - Old Spice original from Boots. A good aftershave lotion makes post shave balm unnecessary. I sometimes use a cologne instead but it depends on the mood I'm in :D

For the difference between lotion, cologne and edt Ebay have a great description - http://www.ebay.com/gds/Mens-Aftershave-EDT-Cologne-whats-the-difference-/10000000000078086/g.html

Here's a pic of my current den - I've added a couple of creams and other small bits since I took this pic.

18af46cf47fe2e6f21f250db1e25a052.jpg

I actually don't use a balm anymore at all. Just a splash lotion. Get a good one and it feels great afterwards. Current ones I have are the Speick with witchhazel, Proraso green, and my favourite believe it or not - Old Spice original from Boots. A good aftershave lotion makes post shave balm unnecessary. I sometimes use a cologne instead but it depends on the mood I'm in :D

For the difference between lotion, cologne and edt Ebay have a great description - http://www.ebay.com/gds/Mens-Aftershave-EDT-Cologne-whats-the-difference-/10000000000078086/g.html

Here's a pic of my current den - I've added a couple of creams and other small bits since I took this pic.

18af46cf47fe2e6f21f250db1e25a052.jpg

Nice bit of stuff there. I actually saw that bulldog stuff somewhere recently and can't remember where exactly :) is it any good?

I like the face scrub and face wash. Don't really use the moisturiser or after shave balm much but they're ok too. Got it as a pack in Boots in the 50% off sale after christmas.

The plastic thing on the bottom shelf is actually a makeup organiser from Tiger - cost a tenner. Perfect for holding blades, styptic pencil, alum block, nail clippers etc.

I like the face scrub and face wash. Don't really use the moisturiser or after shave balm much but they're ok too. Got it as a pack in Boots in the 50% off sale after christmas.

The plastic thing on the bottom shelf is actually a makeup organiser from Tiger - cost a tenner. Perfect for holding blades, styptic pencil, alum block, nail clippers etc.

That's actually a good idea. I've the blades in an old Shaving bag in the press. Might get myself a nice Shaving mug and stand for the razor while I'm at it.

I got the stand in Knights in Stephen's Green for €32. Muhle one - good and solid. Only useful with a full length or grande handle. If you've a short handled razor get one that it hangs from instead - something like this: http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-de-razor-brush-stand.html

Another order gone Chris's way last night. My wife will divorce me at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Fantastic idea for the blade holder. Mine are currently stacked high in my wardrope. What's the powder for above it?

Seeing this photo makes me annoyed that my bathroom is so tiny. Have no room for anything! Probably better for the wallet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Nice bit of stuff there. I actually saw that bulldog stuff somewhere recently and can't remember where exactly :) is it any good?

I use the Bulldog moisturiser exclusively as my after shave balm and find it great.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Fantastic idea for the blade holder. Mine are currently stacked high in my wardrope. What's the powder for above it

That's talc for friction reduction. Let's just say it's not just my face I shave.

• Advertisement

Let's just say it's not just my face I shave.
    Tell us you use a straight for this and you will have gained some serious credibility.

Advertisement