Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "memorisation / regurgitation vs. understanding / thinking" debate revisited!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

leesmom wrote: »
    and yes you are right, looks like i have a tough road ahead,
    having said that im doing something that actually interests me not something i have to do to get points

well in all fairness, no amount of rote learning is going to help you become a better midwife, while it may help in exams...you quoting that 16% of manufacture is located in dublin, isn't going to help some woman in labour!!
    LOL
    but seriously, good luck you deserved to get to where you wanted to go!(even if it did involve you doing a bit of rote learning\0

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

ALincoln wrote: »
    Look, I didn't even bother to read this thread, principally because it is just not worthy of discussion.

There is a simple answer to your question: the secondary education system is clearly embracing the independent thought approach. This is a good thing, it will prevent you from failing when you go to college (if you managed to get into college).

To answer your implicit question, in a broader sense, this is a good thing. Critical thinking is what separates the regurgitating masses from their A1 peers.

There is really no debate to be had here.

Hmm because I'm sure no one who rote learned their geography got an A1 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

RandomIrl wrote: »
    well in all fairness, no amount of rote learning is going to help you become a better midwife, while it may help in exams...you quoting that 16% of manufacture is located in dublin, isn't going to help some woman in labour!!
    LOL
    but seriously, good luck you deserved to get to where you wanted to go!(even if it did involve you doing a bit of rote learning\0
    actually geography was the only subject i did it for, we were warned in other subjects not to.
    so yes using your brain is the way to go:(:(
    :p
    now my head hurts from all this thnking, think i need to lie down:eek::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Fair enough ... ... but this is meant to be marks for coherence on the part of the candidate i.e. that the candidate can tie these points together because s/he understands them.

If it becomes obvious to the examiner that it is someone else entirely (i.e. a teacher / tutor) who has pre-prepared the answer, and "pre-cohered" (excuse the murder of the English language! :D) the answers for the candidate, should these marks be awarded?

I am not familiar with the geography syllabus or exam, but from the discussion here, you're probably right.

The coherence marks only apply in the option question, the longest essay which is worth 80 marks out of 400 in the written exam.In this 80, about 16-18 marks of the essay go on coherence itself. For the rest of the marks in other sections, 80 go to short questions, and 240 for shorter essays. These shorter essays are marked solely on significant relevant points and diagrams, so there is no means for the standard of the essay to be judged really, unless it is not related to the question asked, where marks would be lost.

Your argument about the coherence being achieved by the student is a good one, and a sensible one, but I'd say examiners are marking coherence based on the essay's coherence, not how coherent the students themselves are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ALincoln wrote: »
    Look, I didn't even bother to read this thread.
    That's obvious. :)
    well in all fairness, no amount of rote learning is going to help you become a better midwife ...
    Actually .... :o

Anything medical or medical related does tend to rely a lot on rote learning.

If someone starts to haemorhage for example you need to be able to remember all the possible causes, you don't normally have time to sit down and look them up in a book.

On the other hand, deciding which is the most likely cause in this case is where it comes down to you using your brain and thinking ability.

And you tend to be back to rote learning for "how to treat".

Which demonstrates very clearly I suppose that in life there is a place for rote learning and a place for critical thinking ... we actually need both of them in the right balance.

A lot of this thread really has been about what different people think is an acceptable balance ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Rote learning is absolutely essential to knowing the information neccessary to pass the exam.

Try to get an A1 without learning something...and you will fail. Miserably so.

The point is, an exam is not testing just rote learning...it is evaluating what you can do with the facts you know - whether you can critically analyse an issue or question with extant knowledge.

It really is that simple. (Or difficult if you are a study hack, so to speak.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

the problem lies when your point is say number 5 of your SRP's...
    its also number five of exam no.12222, 12223, 12224 and 12225's script, following identical points at number 1-4 and 6-12....

You would have to be one sad corrector if you noticed point 5 was the exact same in each script. But chances are they wont be!

JSK 252 wrote: »
    You would have to be one sad corrector if you noticed point 5 was the exact same in each script. But chances are they wont be!

if you correct them one after the other, you would have to be one SLOW corrector not to notice!

leesmom wrote: »
    now my head hurts from all this thnking, think i need to lie down:eek::)
    You see, you're not used to it! :P :D

(I'm joking, I'm joking! :D)
    pjtb wrote: »
    The coherence marks only apply in the option question, the longest essay which is worth 80 marks out of 400 in the written exam.
    I'm not a 100% sure, but I think it might have been a query / complaint about the marking of that one which started all this.
    pjtb wrote: »
    Your argument about the coherence being achieved by the student is a good one, and a sensible one, but I'd say examiners are marking coherence based on the essay's coherence, not how coherent the students themselves are.
    Oh I'd say they are too ... until they fall across basically the same answer a second or even a third time, and it rings a bell.

And it will ... you would be surprised! ;)

That's not really what we're on about, leesmom. :)

Kinda is actually. I got an A1 in geography and I'll tell you this, there is a hell of a lot of understanding in order to learn off notes on plate tectonics not to mind manufacturin industry in Dublin!

• Advertisement

if you correct them one after the other, you would have to be one SLOW corrector not to notice!

You are making a crazy genralization there. They wont be the exact same. People think differently.

You are making a crazy genralization there. They wont be the exact same. People think differently.

That is the point, this thread is aimed at people who DONT! they just regurgitate answers they are given without thinking, they can learn something off by heart but not have a clue about it.

Example: my friend i was helping them with irish, I gave her notes, she just learnt them off by heart, not a clue what they meant in english!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Oh I'd say they are too ... until they fall across basically the same answer a second or even a third time, and it rings a bell.

And it will ... you would be surprised! ;)

Ya, but I don't know if they could actually discriminate because of this.The answer, learned off or not, was still learned by candidate, and commited to paper by the candidate, so it was knowledge in their heads for at least some period of time. Maybe they can dock coherence for this reason, but seen as the coherence marks account for about 16 out of 400 marks in the written, it doesn't give them much scope for punishing regurgitation! :pac:

That is the point, this thread is aimed at people who DONT! they just regurgitate answers they are given without thinking, they can learn something off by heart but not have a clue about it.

Example: my friend i was helping them with irish, I gave her notes, she just learnt them off by heart, not a clue what they meant in english!

Serious? I would find that ****ing hard not knowing what they mean in english.

I learnt off everything for the lc but I understood it all. You just had to for things like geo , because you dont get enough time. the 2 hrs 50 minutes is a cod. Why not the extra 10 minutes?

Serious? I would find that ****ing hard not knowing what they mean in english.

I learnt off everything for the lc but I understood it all. You just had to for things like geo , because you dont get enough time. the 2 hrs 50 minutes is a cod. Why not the extra 10 minutes?

yeh so would i, which is why started to translate it for her, and she was like , nah not bothered ill just re-write it!

so my point is, people can just regurgitate things with out having a clue and that is absolutely useless, is of no benefit to you in later life , unless you are willing to sit down and read a bit deeper into what you are given.
    Spoon feeding students its a waste of time,and at the end of the day a form of plagiarism.

and yes the extra ten minutes would of been lovely!! to finish off answers!

There seems to be an assumption here that students who rote learn can't think for themselves in an exam. Its possible to learn off essays in geography and adapt them to suit the question being asked, because as we all know questions on the geography syllabus can be asked in many different ways. If you have learnt off geography essays prior to the exam you'll spend less time in the exam thinking of how to structure your points as you'll just be able to write everything you know straight onto the paper. If it makes it easier for you in the exam i really don't see the harm in learning off whole essays. Why make things more difficult than they have to be?? :confused:

Again i reiterate that just because an answer has been learned off doesnt mean it isnt understood

There seems to be an assumption here that students who rote learn can't think for themselves in an exam. Its possible to learn off essays in geography and adapt them to suit the question being asked, because as we all know questions on the geography syllabus can be asked in many different ways. If you have learnt off geography essays prior to the exam you'll spend less time in the exam thinking of how to structure your points as you'll just be able to write everything you know straight onto the paper. If it makes it easier for you in the exam i really don't see the harm in learning off whole essays. Why make things more difficult than they have to be?? :confused:

As I said alrady the geography exam is a ****ing cod timing wise. 2hrs 50 minutes is not enough.

Again i reiterate that just because an answer has been learned off doesnt mean it isnt understood

in some cases it does, as ive said a few posts up

As I said alrady the geography exam is a ****ing cod timing wise. 2hrs 50 minutes is not enough.

I know.....So much information to be written out in too short a space of time.

• Advertisement

in some cases it does, as ive said a few posts up

Well you'd want to be pretty silly to learn something off that you didnt understand. Maybe some people do it, but i should hope the majority of people have the sense not to

Well you'd want to be pretty silly to learn something off that you didnt understand. Maybe some people do it, but i should hope the majority of people have the sense not to
    yeh , well , so do we all.and in the long run we all know that understanding and thinking trumps memorisation and regurgitating any day!

yeh , well , so do we all.and in the long run we all know that understanding and thinking trumps memorisation and regurgitating any day!

TBH i think you need a balance between the two to get on well in the leavin.

i think the ideal would be, to make up your own answers and essays and learn them, YOUR OWN work, no problem with regurgitating something that is your own work, that you have researched, its the spoon fed answers, one after the other, that i have the problem with.

Why though? What is so wrong with it? If you make your own notes there's the risk that you haven't included enough relevant points, or you might have made it too long which would lead to you being stuck for time in the exam. If an essay your teacher gives is guarunteed to get you maximum marks then it would be madness to stick your nose up at it! Its been said before that this may make you unprepared for the work you will have to do in college, but college and school are two very different things. In college the subjects you study will (hopefully) interest you and you'll be more willing to do your own research. But as for the leaving cert I'm perfectly happy learning the notes my teacher gives me! :p

Why though? What is so wrong with it?
    Em, the fact that the teacher is getting marked, not you? :p
    If you make your own notes there's the risk that you haven't included enough relevant points, or you might have made it too long which would lead to you being stuck for time in the exam.
    So do your own work, and get the teacher to correct / advise. That way you deserve your mark, and your essay won't be the same as 25 others ...

All that said, as I said earlier, I don't really blame the students. Under pressure, ofc you lot are going to grab any apparent advantage or short cut.

Any blame I would put on the way the exams are set up / on the hyperpressure about points / the system itself, basically.

Em, the fact that the teacher is getting marked, not you? :p.

Meh Bovvered? :p

The fact thats its not my own work doesnt particularly bother me. I'm not very passionate about the subject and added too my dislike of the education system, I don't feel in any way guilty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I find it quite worrying that people on this thread don't seem to have any problem with the idea of using other people's answers in the LC. It definitely doesn't say a lot for you as a person if you've got no problem with the idea of plagiarism. If you were that desperate for points, then maybe you should have gone for a subject you're actually good at, rather than one in which you're completely dependent on regurgitating the sample answers you've been given to do well. You won't get too far in College if you can't think for yourself.

Now I realise that there's a great deal of pressure on students to perform well in the LC so I guess I can understand why people would learn answers off by heart, but I think it's a good thing that the system is trying to discourage this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I find it quite worrying that people on this thread don't seem to have any problem with the idea of using other people's answers in the LC. It definitely doesn't say a lot for you as a person if you've got no problem with the idea of plagiarism. If you were that desperate for points, then maybe you should have gone for a subject you're actually good at, rather than one in which you're completely dependent on regurgitating the sample answers you've been given to do well. You won't get too far in College if you can't think for yourself.

Now I realise that there's a great deal of pressure on students to perform well in the LC so I guess I can understand why people would learn answers off by heart, but I think it's a good thing that the system is trying to discourage this.

The Leaving Cert exists for you to get points. The exams exist for points. Learning off answers increases your points.

Simples.

• Advertisement

The Leaving Cert exists for you to get points. The exams exist for points. Learning off answers increases your points.

Simples.

Bang on brother/ sista!:P

Advertisement