Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Planning to go to aus soon as ive been let go and hoping to get some work down under. I really want to go. But hate flying if i could go by boat i would... So how do you keep yourself busy for 22 hours??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Diazepam

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

+1 for the valium. Its the long distance travellers best friend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't go to sleep the night before the flight. Then when ya get to go on the long-distance flight, you'll sleep for so long, its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Sleep, watch the movies and tv shows, listen to music, read a book, bring along a DS and play Sudoku (or whatever you like) and then sleep some more. A good book really will make the time pass. A couple of years ago flying between Melbourne & London I read the new Matthew Riley book and had it finished in about 10 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 claire6000

my mom gets tablets to calm her down, it would be a good idea for such a long flight coz it makes you sleep so you wont be so tired after flying for 22 hours, wish i was you going to oz lucky thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Ya its a long flight alright, I used to hate flying before, but that was soon sorted when I went to India, no visa - back to the uk within the hour of arriving in India - visa back to India the following day.
    I set me up nicely for flights to Oz after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Just stop for a day or 2 in 2 places on the way

Im stoppin in Dubai and Thailand, so ive 3 6hr flights from London

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Mellor wrote: »
    Diazepam

Not a good idea. Me and my ex tried this and were extremely jet lagged for a week. It didn't exactly knock us out for the whole flight either. Got a few hours sleep on the plane.

I'm going to NZ in January and next time I'll be trying proper sleeping pills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I brainwash myself into looking forward to it. I make myself believe that it'll be great, watchin movies, having a waitress bring ya drinks etc. It kinda works, i dont mind the trip really. I usually bring a good book, and an mp3 player, and watch a few movies then sleep for a bit.

Although my last flight over here wasnt too pleasent, the woman beside me vomited on me :( It happened on the first long leg of the flight, between London and Hong Kong. I tried to get it out, but the smell was still there, so i spent the rest of the journey smelling like vomit, very hard to ignore for c.20 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

If you can at all fit a couple of days stopover in Bangkok or Hong kong or wherever you transit through then that makes it very bareable.

When I first moved to NZ I stopped in Singapore for 10 hours and had a lovely rest and wash in the transit hotel within the airport which was great.

On the plane itself depending on the airline you'll have hundreds of movies, tv shows, docos, dramas and games avaialble to watch but a good book can be just as great to pass the time. You can get up and walk around as much as you want to streach your legs and the crew come at you every few hours with another meal or snack so that also passes the time.

Last week I came from Ireland to Wellington via Bangkok and Sydney, total journey time was 28 hours. I took the overnight Qantas QF2 flgiht from Heahtrow which was 11 hours. First two hours went quick with dinner and some TV then they dimmed the lights and I popped a sleeper and passed out for 3 hours. Then a movie and breakfast and before you know it you're there. I had a shower in Bangkok which was only 10 bucks and a change of clothes before the next 8 hour leg which was also overnight so again after dinner I managed to get some sleep and watched some IT crowd, family guy and Simpsons and before I knew it it was breakfast and landing in Sydney.

The last 4 hour leg to wellington was actually the worst as it was an old 737-300 with hardly any inflight entertainment and tight seating but my book kept me going and again a meal and drinks wastes some time.

I'd high recommend not getting plastered beforehand to quell any fears as some people do, you'll be so dehydrated during the flight your hangover will be beyond belief. Best to try sleep and drink plenty of water and get up walk around every hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

22 hrs is a lot shorter time than the boat you mentioned!!

To be helpful, on top of the good advice already given, bring a PSP. You can put ur own videos on it or tv programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

blues2 wrote: »
    22 hrs is a lot shorter time than the boat you mentioned!!

To be helpful, on top of the good advice already given, bring a PSP. You can put ur own videos on it or tv programs.
    Or a Netbook

A good few have 7hrs+ Battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm going on Thursday, Dublin-Abu Dhabi-Sydney. My strategy will be:

1. Books
    2. MP3
    3. Laptop
    4. Sleep

I want to keep the laptop to last in case I'm really, really bored.

Some airlines have power in the seats for laptops...worth looking into. I brought a european tail for mine and could use it on Singapore Airlines A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

pclancy wrote: »
    Some airlines have power in the seats for laptops...worth looking into. I brought a european tail for mine and could use it on Singapore Airlines A380.

What kind was the A380? Was thinking about flying on one.

What Kind? Airbus if you mean what manufacturer....feels a good bit more spacious then a Boeing 747 and has an upstairs economy deck which is good for a bit of a walk around and great in flight entertaiment. As far as I know only Singapore airlines, Emirates and Qantas have them in service on a couple of routes so far.

Advertisement