Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominick Street

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to tell me what this area is like in Cork city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

There was a thread recently asking about Upper John St., which is close to Dominick Street... so a lot of that might apply. I wouldn't choose to live there unless I worked very nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Illkillya wrote: »
    There was a thread recently asking about Upper John St., which is close to Dominick Street... so a lot of that might apply. I wouldn't choose to live there unless I worked very nearby.

Any reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭sean_84

Hi, I lived there for about year, in a newish group of houses on the shandon street side of the Firkin Crane. It's a convenient location, very close to the city centre but never too noisy in the night time, and some late-night shops close by on Shandon street. I never saw any trouble at all walking on Shandon street in the night time. It's usually quite busy.

On the other hand the house wasn't the best, and there was very little light due to the narrowness of the street. Parking could be a problem at times too. And there would sometimes be groups drinking on the narrow steps between pope's quay and dominick st. so I usually avoided those during the night...

Orizio wrote: »
    Any reason why?

Well I never lived there but my cousin lived near there... relative to other parts of the city, there are a lot of scumbags and drunks hanging, noise, lack of parking, smell of the brewery, and just in general not such a nice vibe as you would get somewhere that has grass and trees, Postman Pat, etc. Depends what you're looking for and where you work, I'm sure it's not a terrible place, just seems a bit miserable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Being close to the City Centre would have its advantages. There would be obvious diadvantages too, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Gunth

I lived there for about two years and I think there are more advantages than disadvantages. There are a lot of elderly people in the area who are friendly and when I was there I did not encounter any problems. There is a nice city vibe to the place. Of course there will be some troublemakers every now and then passing through but is this not everywhere? It is so close to the main streets of Cork it is fantastic. No more waiting for taxis home which is always a good thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

sure tis a grand auld spot boy,no bother at all at all

Gunth wrote: »
    Of course there will be some troublemakers every now and then passing through but is this not everywhere?

People always say this when we talk about perceived bad areas. Really, the answer is no... it is not everywhere. In some places, you will have your car radio stolen, drunk people banging on your windows/kicking your door as they walk by, hassle from scumbags as you are walking home, junkies/winos asleep in your doorway. I have lived in places where all this happens regularly, in places where none of this ever happens, and places in-between where some of it happens occasionally. It is a question of where on the spectrum Dominick St. belongs.

If someone's property is damaged by a drunk in a so called good area this does not automatically result in the 'good area' being demoted to a 'bad area'. Basically some areas will be considered safer than others but you might have to live up a mountain for this. It really is down to luck. I am sure that there are many people who live in places that some might say are rough but they might not have never experienced any trouble personally. No matter what city it is, cars will be damaged and fights taking place. That's life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shiverz

I'm looking at renting a place on Waggetts Lane, just off Popes Quay, does anyone know anything about this area? Just reading through the thread here I'm seeing a few negative comments about the place and I'm a bit worried now...

Shiverz again the same applies as above.

Advertisement