Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High heel marks in soft timber floors

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Have had a timber floor (white deal) heavily marked by high heel shoes, its tongue and groove flooring and the prospect of removing it all to replace the most damaged sections isnt going to be pratical.

Anyone dealt with this before? Filler im thinking would probably make it more obvious, anyhow thoughts and hints greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I'll start you off on the basis that if one person comments even if its total bull someone else will just have to add their 2 cents.

First thought is that anything you do to one area will alter the finish so you'll really have to do the same thing to the whole floor whatever it is.

You can forget filler that will make a right mess, but I was wondering what would happen if you dampen the area and put the steam iron on it and get it nice and hot without burning the wood. Problem there is that any finish will also get damaged by the heat, but that treatment might just raise the surface of the wood and the heel marks. If it does work it will also raise the grain on the wood so will need sanding afterwards.

Anyway thats the best I can come up with ...... anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Thanks for that.

Its worth considering definately. i will do some research on it.

ive never tried a hot iron on it before, prob best to start with a sample.
    Tragically its in an area of the floor that takes the sunshine so marks look all the more evident.

anyother inputs greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Thinking about it a steam iron might be too hot, perhaps one of those wallpaper stripping steamers might be more useful? Check http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546942&page=5 where you'll see CroppyBoy1798's modification of a wallpaper steamer, perhaps you could adapt a piece of tuppaware to apply steam to the floor?

Come on guys someone tell me I'm talking complete sh!te before I end up burning quietobservers house down for him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sanding is the only way to do it without risking damage and to end up with a decent finish. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Happened to me! Have to say with the greatest respect to women. Those of you who do not watch your heals have no respect.

Had to sand it and guess what, they are back again so this time my wife is going to get a professional to sand it because its her sisters wrecking it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

ttm wrote: »
    Thinking about it a steam iron might be too hot,

Come on guys someone tell me I'm talking complete sh!te before I end up burning quietobservers house down for him :rolleyes:

no the steam iron is a good idea , but use a wet cloth under it .
    but id think probably the hole floor will need sanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

What everway you do it it's going to be work. If you decide to do it with an iron make sure you put a damp cloth under it and keep it damp as you work it. You will have to sand it after doing this.
    If you decide to clear the room and sand the whole floor you will have the same problem in time.
    Would you consider a hardwood floor and tell the fookers to leave their heels at the door:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

thanks ronboy,

i had wanted hardwood floors initially in the build, but the engineer and builders somehow got their way,

to change it now would be costly as the whole ground floor is timber (white deal). a project for the rainy days i guess.

thanks for all the responses

Advertisement