Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fightstick compatibility questions:

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi :pac:

This is probably gonna sound retarded but I'll just throw it out there. I'll firstly say I know what I'm about to ask is not possible on the get-go and I also know both work for the PC.

What I'm wondering is, is there anyway to say.....hook up a PS3 fightstick to a 360?

If so, how? and how much would it cost?

Is there anyway to hook up a 360 fightstick to a PS3? If so..how and how much would it cost?

If the answer is yes to both, which one would people say is the easiest option, 360 stick working on PS3 or PS3 stick working on 360?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Well AFAIK there are usb adapters that will let you use a 360 controller with a PS3 but I think its hard to find one that will work the other way around. Something to do with Microsoft being reluctant to allow unauthorised controllered to be used on their system I think.

Of course I haven't touched a console since the Gamecube so I could be completely wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You can dual mod sticks but I think it's usually a relatively effort-filled project (putting a PCB from the opposite console's controller into the stick as well as the original one or whatever) - think KO Kiki is in the starting stages of doing it at the moment actually, he may chime in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's gonna take me all week, cos I like to take things.
    slooooooooooowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah I'm aware how hard it is for non microsoft gear to work on the 360, where as a ****ty PC game pad I bought from gamestop worked straight away when I plugged it into my PS3.

So generally if its usb it works with the PS3 but obviously there something in the 360 stick that stops it working on a PS3.

So my thinking was, if there was some decent converter maybe I'd buy a 360 fightstick even though all I have is a ps3 and PC, as that way I can use it no hassle on 360's when the need arises. & just use the converter when I'm playing on my PS3.

But its never that freaking simple is it :mad: googles giving me the impression that the converters are really expensive, more then the stick itself PLUS I'd have to buy a wired 360 pad too. And on top of all that, they appear to cause input lag? God damn ****ing consoles. Someone forgot to tell these guys that the U in USB is for universal! :mad::mad::mad:

As for modding a stick, jesus I wouldnt have a clue about any of that. Anyone know the cost factor for buying the parts needed PLUS maybe paying someone to mod a 360 stick to work on a PS3

<_<

>_>

Or should I really just forget the whole thing, suck it up and buy the ps3 fightstick? :(

If you're not planning on buying a 360, I'd say just go with the PS3 stick man - for tournaments/casual meetups, people are always willing to loan sticks out if you want/have to play on 360.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    If you're not planning on buying a 360, I'd say just go with the PS3 stick man - for tournaments/casual meetups, people are always willing to loan sticks out if you want/have to play on 360.

Indeed, I guess I'm just thinking of those potential situations where one person only has a ps3 stick and the other a 360 stick. Also handy for going around to a mates gaf or whatever , some of my mates play on 360 and others on PS3.

But I guess in those situations the PC version will come in handy. Sigh.. arnt PC's the best? lol:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive sent my 360 fightstick off to be dual modded. A dude on the neo empire boards is doing it for me for me for 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Chopperbyrne has an adaptor so he can use his PS3 stick with the 360. It involves getting the adaptor and a 360 pad (third party pad will do). Think it cost him €60 in the end for the whole thing, not 100% sure though. I'm sure he can give more detail when he sees this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I also know both work for the PC.

If you're talking about madcatz, the ps3 stick will not work with the majority of PC's. I bought a ps3 one, with the intention of using it mainly on PC, and ended up having to buy an xbox one as well :/

The funny thing is it will work with my netbook which is incapable of running SF4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Bush has the right idea there, it is MUCH easier to have a 360 stick dual modded than it is to have a ps3 stick dual modded. The cthulhu is a great pcb for the ps3 and can be installed on a 360 stick (provided you know what you're doing).

If you were to do it the other way around (dual modding a ps3 stick) you would need to padhack a 360 pad and you would have to try to get a pad that has common grounds.

It would be a lot of effort, ask kiki!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jim wrote: »
    Chopperbyrne has an adaptor so he can use his PS3 stick with the 360. It involves getting the adaptor and a 360 pad (third party pad will do). Think it cost him €60 in the end for the whole thing, not 100% sure though. I'm sure he can give more detail when he sees this thread.

I have an adapter for getting PS1/2 controllers to work on USB/Xbox/Gamecube and I have another adapter for getting PS1/2 controllers to work on 360. This requires a wired 360 controller to be plugged into it also though.

Both adapters cost less than €10.

PS3->360 and 360->PS3 are a little harder to do apparently and a bit more expensive.

I have an adapter for getting PS1/2 controllers to work on USB/Xbox/Gamecube and I have another adapter for getting PS1/2 controllers to work on 360. This requires a wired 360 controller to be plugged into it also though.

Both adapters cost less than €10.

PS3->360 and 360->PS3 are a little harder to do apparently and a bit more expensive.

Where did you get the ps2 -> 360 adapter? How does it run? Any input lag?

Creature wrote: »
    Where did you get the ps2 -> 360 adapter? How does it run? Any input lag?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-PS2-to-Xbox-360-Converter-Controller-Cable_W0QQitemZ190328010546QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item2c506ef732&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That's the one I bought. When I tested it, it had less than 2ms input lag, which is pretty much accepted as being lagless. You will need a wired 360 pad to use it though.

I've had no trouble with it so far and several others who have tested it on srk have reported that it is a good converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how many frames would u miss out on at 2ms, OMGS NERDS

Placebo wrote: »
    how many frames would u miss out on at 2ms, OMGS NERDS

The games run at sixty frames a second (mostly) and there are one thousand milliseconds in a second.

You can do the maths yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-PS2-to-Xbox-360-Converter-Controller-Cable_W0QQitemZ190328010546QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item2c506ef732&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That's the one I bought. When I tested it, it had less than 2ms input lag, which is pretty much accepted as being lagless. You will need a wired 360 pad to use it though.

I've had no trouble with it so far and several others who have tested it on srk have reported that it is a good converter.

Great stuff, thanks! I'll wont buy the controller since I'll only be needing it for the forum meetups and I'm sure I'll be able to get one from the staff of the xgc at the time.

My HRAP lives to fight another day :D

Creature wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll be able to get one from the staff of the xgc at the time.

Except for once they charged one of us a tenner for renting out the wired controller (not a deposit) - dunno if this is the regular thing there but it definitely happened at least once

Fairly certain you can get brand new wired 360 pads on ebay for about €20. It's worth it in the long run.

Can double as a pad for emulators or other PC games.

Red350 wrote: »
    If you're talking about madcatz, the ps3 stick will not work with the majority of PC's. I bought a ps3 one, with the intention of using it mainly on PC, and ended up having to buy an xbox one as well :/

The funny thing is it will work with my netbook which is incapable of running SF4 :pac:

Can you go into more detail on this m8? Its just not detected on the PC or? Would maybe running the program I use to get my PS3 pad working on my PC not work? Whats your specs of the PC that it doesn't work on versus the specs of your netbook etc?
    bush wrote: »
    Ive sent my 360 fightstick off to be dual modded. A dude on the neo empire boards is doing it for me for me for 30 quid.

Interesting alright, its looking more like maybe getting a 360 stick, using it for my pc and eventually getting someone to mod it so it'll hook up to both 360 and PS3 is my best option as it seems there is no good converters or theres a chance the PS3 one wont work on my PC.

hmmmmmmmmm argh its all so much hassle :(

**edit** I'm starting to think it'd probably be cheaper just to buy 2 of 'em a 360 fightstick and a PS3 one. lol.

I'm not sure about "the majority" of PS3 sticks not working on PC, I know there are some issues but I certainly haven't heard that it was that widespread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Can you go into more detail on this m8? Its just not detected on the PC or? Would maybe running the program I use to get my PS3 pad working on my PC not work? Whats your specs of the PC that it doesn't work on versus the specs of your netbook etc?

This covers everything on the issue: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=175047

Basically it's madcatz being cheap as always, and using an Intel standard for the USB conection, which will only work on Intel chipsets (which my laptop happens to have, but my PC uses nvidia).
    It actually detects the stick fine on any PC, but usually won't take input.

There's a simple solution shown there that costs less than a tenner, I suggest you try that first, and if it doesn't work then cut your losses and go for the xbox stick. Definitely what I would have done if I had seen that thread before ordering mine :P

Also I never thought of trying the PC sixaxis drivers, I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know if it works.
    Just to double check, are these the drivers you're using: http://dl.qj.net/SIXAXIS-driver-for-PC-PlayStation-3/pg/12/fid/11679/catid/518

My PS2 - USB converter works fine if it is set as Player 2 in Vs Mode, but won't work in single player. If the stick is set as controller 1, then some of the stick inputs are set as button presses.

It's messed up.

Looks like I'll need a proper PS2 - PS3 converter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hit up laugh on SRK for an InPin converter from Korea:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174859

The converter is great, even gives you a PS button.

I sent him a PM as soon as I found out that the converter doesn't work properly.

Ok I'm finally gonna order my stick today, ps3 SE i reckon, so best place is amazon yeah?

Far as I know yep that's your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Ok I'm finally gonna order my stick today, ps3 SE i reckon, so best place is amazon yeah?

There's a TE for sale on adverts, might be able to get that for a good price

while 100 is a good price for a TE I'm gonna go with the SE

Its my 1st ever stick and I may end up really really hating sticks so I don't wanna risk too much money. I would probably rather a modded SE to a TE anyway due to size. Modding being something I'll look at in a few months time when I'm 'used' to it (hopefully) and thus know what I like when I try out other peoples fightsticks.

I've never bought anything from amazon before, anything I should know?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

the thing you need to worry about most is the SE doesn't stand up to wear and tear.

Consider modding an option as soon as possible.

My stick went within a month, then a button a month later.

Now it's all modded and for me, sweet as.

• Advertisement

**** I remember you saying your buttons died but the actual stick itself? Balls I always assumed the stick part was decent and people only generally modded the buttons on those things.

How much would it all come to for decent replacement buttons and stick out of interest?

Advertisement