Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking money from your wages!!

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Is it legal for an employer to take till shortages from your wages?
    If it is do they have to notify you, etc?,

I was short one day and in my next wages there a difference between my pay cheque amd my payslip to the amount i was down (it was minimal, under a tenner). The payslip said nothing about it and i didnt know what it was about until i asked my boss....

Is this legal?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Do you have a contract of employment? Anything in writing?
    Straight away to me, this doesnt look legal and even if there were a written contract in which it were specified, I doubt it would be legal anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

I know in my job we had to sign a form agreeing that any discrepancies greater than €10 would be deducted from wages. So I suppose if it's part of your contract it's OK?

But as far as I know, they don't actually enforce this rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is it in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd have to agree. If it was legit your pay slip should have it noted. Check your contract or if none tell your boss not to cut your wages unless it's on your pay slip. But if it's in your contract you can't do much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

dont have a signed contract or anything, more of an agreement that im working there... but im still on the books, taxes, p45, etc...

Thanks for the replys, thought it was illegal myself,
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

does anyone know somewhere i can get this info from an official source?, to show my boss that i have proof?
    (just some government agency i can email and get a quick reply of yes or no to show my boss)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Citizens Advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't think there's anything that outlaws this practice, you should at least have been notified, and it should not be a discrepancy on your payslip! It's extremely dodgy to do this though..there was a big argument on the Joe Duffy show over it. Unions aren't happy with it, which I'm fairly sure is the reason why Dunnes don't do it..and there's often till shortages of €100 and more. If your till is shared and not your till alone, make sure the records are checked so you don't get the flack for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

daveyid89 wrote: »
    dont have a signed contract or anything, more of an agreement that im working there... but im still on the books, taxes, p45, etc...

Thanks for the replys, thought it was illegal myself,
    :(

If it isn't written in your contract and you don't have agreed to it, its illegal. have a look here for under what conditions deductions are allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Its not legal to make deductions for till shortages from your salary.... I would contact the National Employment Rights Authority to ascertain your rights and what you can do - also check your contract of employment to clarify what the terms and conditions are - and in particular take note of the mechanisms detailed for a grievance proceedure which should be spelled out in the contract (if you choose to go down this road).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Payment of wages act 1991 covers this. Originally it covered deduction for non existant accommodation included in jobs etc. but it is pretty clear here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/pay-and-employment/pay_slip

Advertisement