Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bring-you-own-laptop registration

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

ok so i got a call from UCD on friday telling me that i had to register a laptop with them by monday (tomorrow).

only got the thing today and of course the offices arent open cos its the weekend.

any idea what i do to register it? i know there is some IT orientation tomorrow with a seminar but i dont think thats registration...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Laptop registration? What?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Laptop registration? What?:confused:

yeah im not too sure either.. its to do the the quinn business school if that makes a difference to you? im doin commerce so got a call off them late last week... said i needed to make an appointment or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Iv never heard of this.Did you buy the laptop directly off UCD-the UCD/DELL deal?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Iv never heard of this.Did you buy the laptop directly off UCD-the UCD/DELL deal?

nah i bought my own... i think thats why i have to register it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JoeyH

Its the laptop clinic.

Has anyone got there apointment time yet?

I havnt got mine yet but was told I have to come in monday for it.

So I have to drive down to UCD from dundalk tomorrow (really early to get ahead of the traffic) and find out what time I have it at then sit around till its my apointment.

All that for something that lasts 20 minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Sringo

Yeah I got that too. I sent them an e-mail to arrange an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Is this just for Commerce students ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

UCD/Dell offer, hmmm, how much off a laptop??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lou_galor

There's another laptop registration on September 11th.
    Everyone who are attending the UCD Quinn School of Business are required to attend and register their laptops.
    You have to e-mail or phone them for an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

1st years can register their laptops with ILTG in the Quinn Building this week - anyone who ordered a laptop and are waiting to collect it will get it as part of their techonology orientation. All those with their own laptops must arrange an appointment with ILTG in Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

There are some pretty awesome UCD/Apple discounts on Macbooks too! To be honest, from what I hear only certain courses (like Commerce) need to have their laptops registered by Sept.11. Anyone else can just head to the student desk and register their laptop when they have a free period.

...heehee period...

mc8755 wrote: »
    There are some pretty awesome UCD/Apple discounts on Macbooks too! To be honest, from what I hear only certain courses (like Commerce) need to have their laptops registered by Sept.11. Anyone else can just head to the student desk and register their laptop when they have a free period.

...heehee period...

The UCD apple offer is ****e.
    a) only 10% off
    b) I looked it up yesterday and the cheapest laptop you can buy with the offer is for €800.
    c) You have to pay extra for such things as iWork and iPage (a bit like Microsoft office).
    d) You have to pay extra if you want Microsoft Office for apple
    e) The RAM is 2gb but you can get like 3gb and 4gb with cheaper windows laptops.
    f) At the end of the day your be paying at least €1,200 for a laptop under the UCD-Apple offer which includes shipping.
    g) Apple laptops get damaged very easily

My advice, go and buy a better windows laptop for under €600 with all the above included. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Apologies, but as a nosey thread passer-by, what's the reason for laptop registration?

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    The UCD apple offer is ****e.
    a) only 10% off
    b) I looked it up yesterday and the cheapest laptop you can buy with the offer is for €800.
    c) You have to pay extra for such things as iWork and iPage (a bit like Microsoft office).
    d) You have to pay extra if you want Microsoft Office for apple
    e) The RAM is 2gb but you can get like 3gb and 4gb with cheaper windows laptops.
    f) At the end of the day your be paying at least €1,200 for a laptop under the UCD-Apple offer which includes shipping.
    g) Apple laptops get damaged very easily

My advice, go and buy a better windows laptop for under €600 with all the above included. :)

I've had a Dell laptop and a Macbook for a while now, the Dell was cheaper and had all the same specs as the Apple.

After about 12 months, between viruses and general slowing down of programs on the Dell because of usage, I was forced to upgrade.
    The Apple has NEVER gotten any sort of virus from surfing, it has remained as quick as it ever was, and in my view, is more scratch resistant than the Dell. It IS dearer, lots of people are put off by that, its because of Window's near monopoly of the market that Window's exclusive companies can under-price their computers and still make a profit.

(And just for the record, iWork is a fraction of the price of Microsoft Office, but it accepts Word, Powerpoint and Excel file types, as well as being a more powerful program - The latest Office for Windows is the 2004 Mac standard...)

Rant Over, back on topic! You register you laptop with UCD to have access to the internet facilities, wifi and hardwire.

I've had a Dell laptop and a Macbook for a while now, the Dell was cheaper and had all the same specs as the Apple.

After about 12 months, between viruses and general slowing down of programs on the Dell because of usage, I was forced to upgrade.
    The Apple has NEVER gotten any sort of virus from surfing, it has remained as quick as it ever was, and in my view, is more scratch resistant than the Dell. It IS dearer, lots of people are put off by that, its because of Window's near monopoly of the market that Window's exclusive companies can under-price their computers and still make a profit.

(And just for the record, iWork is a fraction of the price of Microsoft Office, but it accepts Word, Powerpoint and Excel file types, as well as being a more powerful program - The latest Office for Windows is the 2004 Mac standard...)

Rant Over, back on topic! You register you laptop with UCD to have access to the internet facilities, wifi and hardwire.

iWork doesn't come stardard with apple you have to pay extra if your buying online. In contrast Microsoft office comes with Windows. Also, Microsoft office is way better than iWorks 1) because is more combatable with other machines in relation to transferring files (call it because of the windows' monopoly of the operation system market if you like) 2) Most people find it easier to work with.

In relation to viruses, get the latest automatic updates for windows and virus protection, I have it and my pc hasn't slowed down at all.

END OF MY RANT!

Ohh I have a question, when you register your laptop to use the UCD wireless network do you have to pay for it, or, is it already paid for when you pay the registration fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just get the cheapest laptop you can find. (btw check out dell outlet ireland for refurb laptops, they come with all the origional sowtware, boxes and equip and still have a years guarantee)

When you have got the laptop put linux on it (ubantu or linux mint, good for beginners).

Linux is even more virus free then macs and is still as fast 1 year later as on day one.

And you know what the best thing is? Linux is free :cool:

Oh and if you dont want to pay for MS office (and lets face it, a wor processor is essential) get OpenOffice. Its files are compatable with Office 2007 ect ect

iWork doesn't come stardard with apple you have to pay extra if your buying online. In contrast Microsoft office comes with Windows. Also, Microsoft office is way better than iWorks 1) because is more combatable with other machines in relation to transferring files (call it because of the windows' monopoly of the operation system market if you like) 2) Most people find it easier to work with.

In relation to viruses, get the latest automatic updates for windows and virus protection, I have it and my pc hasn't slowed down at all.

END OF MY RANT!

Ohh I have a question, when you register your laptop to use the UCD wireless network do you have to pay for it, or, is it already paid for when you pay the registration fees?

1. Please dont tell me you think Office comes standard with Windows?! - Hell NO!
    2. Office is more compatible with other machines? - That doesn't really make sense; it works with Windows Operating Systems, which even Dell admits is behind the Mac OS standard
    3. Most people find it easier to work with... okay, it's good to know you know most people then :p
    4. I'm not trying to convince anyone to get or not to get a Macbook, I'm just saying in MY experience, the higher price tag is for a hell of a good reason.

nope any laptop can use it!

if its not working, click tools (up there ^), options, advanced, click network tab and click connection settings. then hit auto-detect proxy. i watched as they did it for me and i havent registered yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

END OF MY RANT!

Microsoft Office does not come with Windows, you must pay for it separately. Microsoft stopped bundling Office with Windows years ago.

Have you used iWork? It's much easier to use imo.

alan4cult wrote: »
    Microsoft Office does not come with Windows, you must pay for it separately. Microsoft stopped bundling Office with Windows years ago.

Have you used iWork? It's much easier to use imo.

That's what I've been saying! And now that iWork accepts Office files is miles ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

END OF MY RANT!
    ?

Office for MAc is quite cheap for student version.Also available in some shape through STUDENT IT support I think

Office not better than iWorks, if you use a particular piece of software you become proficient at using it and hence the preference

But at the end of the day most of you will write papers which need to be referenced which can be done with Word on PC word on MAc or PAges on MAC, PAges does integrate quite well with Endnote the referencing software and also PApers another referencing and paper management tool

Any document file saved on MAC can be emailed and opened on PC and vice versa so no issue there

In relation to viruses most windows users dont do what you say which is why there is such a virus propagation problem from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

landyman wrote: »
    Just get the cheapest laptop you can find. (btw check out dell outlet ireland for refurb laptops, they come with all the origional sowtware, boxes and equip and still have a years guarantee)

Apple does refurbs too from its online store with same guarantees
    When you have got the laptop put linux on it (ubantu or linux mint, good for beginners).

Linux is even more virus free then macs and is still as fast 1 year later as on day one.

How can you be more virus free than virus free that doesnt make sense
    And you know what the best thing is? Linux is free :cool:
    Yes after you pay for a laptop so if your laptop comes with windows you have already paid for that

If it comes with MAC OS you have already paid for that

The only reason to run linux is if you are a programmer or someone who provides server support and doesnt want to pay for multiple copies of windows for servers
    Oh and if you dont want to pay for MS office (and lets face it, a wor processor is essential) get OpenOffice. Its files are compatable with Office 2007 ect ect

Good plan and similar programs are available for MAC OS
    Go to versiontracker.com for details

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mac hardware is generally of quite a high quality, and the OS does have less trouble generally than Windows. It doesn't break as easily.

However, if you're doing commerce you will need Windows, so you are better buying a Windows machine for the same money. You get what you pay for - anything sub 500 euro is not really worth it when you consider how much you're going to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

drzhivago wrote: »
    The only reason to run linux is if you are a programmer or someone who provides server support and doesnt want to pay for multiple copies of windows for servers
    Really? So, for desktop or notebook use, only Mac or Windows? Then I must be imagining the last year, during which I've been using a netbook (eee PC 1000) with Ubuntu Linux, which can use the full OpenOffice and/or standalone word processor (Abiword) and spreadsheet (Gnumeric). While I do have some IT background, I don't manage servers or program (apart from the occasional Python script).

It's attitudes like that that lead people in to the black/white Windows/Mac false dilemma. If you're willing put in a little effort to save a lot of money, you ought to be trying Linux too. Ubuntu, in particular, is rapidly getting easier for non-geeks to install and use, and it really suits netbooks since its storage requirements (speed and capacity) are very modest. Translation: it doesn't bog down the system like Windows or OS X can.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I think all he was saying was that you might as well use windows or the mac OS because they are already installed and that the reason programmers and server admins use it is because they wont have to pay for all the copies of windows and mac operating systems for each computer, although you can get a multi-computer licence. Im a windows user btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Some netbooks these day are coming with Linux off the shelf, rather than Windows, due to the smaller hardware requirements, and cost of course. It is definitely not a straight Windows/Max choice anymore, even for the non-tech user.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

drzhivago wrote: »

How can you be more virus free than virus free that doesnt make sense

I never said that.

I said that linux was virtually virus free. well there is a few viruses out there for linux but they dont pose any real threat at all

'' The reason that we have not seen a real Linux virus epidemic in the wild is simply that none of the existing Linux viruses can thrive in the hostile environment that Linux provides. The Linux viruses that exist today are nothing more than technical curiosities; the reality is that there is no viable Linux virus.''

And that means a clean, effecient machine that wont break your heart like windows does

Advertisement