Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Light Grey Suit- Business or Fashion?

• 30-08-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

I am starting a new job in the financial services sector next week. On my first day I'll most likely be doing alot of 'meet and greets' with senior people (though Im not senior).

By far my best suit is a light grey one very similar to the pic attached.

Ive noticed that this type of suit had become fashionable/popular outside of business (ie Ive seen a few celebs wearing them with skinny black ties to industry events)

Im just wondering; would this suit still be appropriate for the office or is it seen as more of a fashion type suit nowadays?

(I wouldnt be wearing a skinny black tie- more of a striped light and dark grey tie)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

As long as it's a good one, and not something the Urban Outfitters/Topman brigade are wearing out of fashion, you're in the green.

Make sure you stay away from the anorexic ties and you'll be doing grand :)

Edit; Oh, Re; your tie, remember, you're wearing a light grey - you can afford to be a bit more colourful with the tie if you want - Light pink/yellows can work if you're comfortable in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As well as steering clear of anorexic ties I'd also shy away from animic ones too. Think blues for your (plain)shirt and (patterned)tie to push the 'business' aspect of the suit. in the pic you posted the suit, white shirt and grey tie look so washed out, invisible. 3 nutral colours together is hard to pull off without a real strength of character and thats not a great impression to make till you've got your feet under the desk.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

OldGoat spot on as ever. A dense floral pattern in dark blue (indeed dark blue in general) works extremely well with a light grey suit on a crisp white shirt.

20090604_097010185543?$ProdCatMedium$

This sexily striped narrow (not skinny) ensemble is also very sharp I think. You get the crisp black tie effect without the Topman baggage. Brown and grey are very 'in' too.

20090709_080010193180?resMode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.208333333333333&id=0lXzwLQwjmTB80KmyYFUp7

The below also very hot. Okay, so there's a theme emerging here, but you get the idea. Far from monochrome being conservative, I think - well chosen - it exhibits considerable style and confidence.

46497_0028628?resMode=sharp&op_usm=1.1,0.5,0,0&rgn=0,0,1000,1000&scl=2.6041666666666665&id=0ayTfkUSx2vN7xpafrMsm9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

KYSSS.

Keep your suits simple stupid. Thats my motto anyway. You can afford to be slightly more adventurous with the tie, dont go overboard though. Old Goat has it spot on, dont wear the tie in that pic with the suit, it looks so boring.

That floral tie above is a very nice tie.

Before worrying about colour though, make sure its a good fit, a good proper fit. Anyway you seem to have it sorted. Good luck in the new job. Welcome to the rat race:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Ive got an Armani suit so no worries about the Topman thing, I have a crisp white tailored shirt and a striped light blue/grey silk tie which i think looks well, Ive got dark brown shoes which, when on, seem to have a greyish hue which looks well so I reckon Im grand.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

PK2008 wrote: »
    Ive got an Armani suit so no worries about the Topman thing,

Well the brand matters not a hoot if it doesn't fit to perfection. We'll presume PK2008 has a sharp eye in that respect though ;)

Also, I'd tend to wear black shoes and belt when wearing a blueish tie. Agreed that brown is definitely smarter with a grey suit, but its warmth can clash unduly with cooler colours in the shirt & tie department. It sounds like the light blue in the grey tie will be sufficiently muted however.

Best of luck in the new job - you sound like you'll cut a dash ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Thanks, its tailored so the fit is good. Its really just a fist impressions thing, hopefully after that it'll be a bit more relaxed

Advertisement