Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to report a problem with a Mod?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I reported a post that mod wrote on a thread as I felt it contained personal abuse.

Does that report go to the mod in question? How do you report a Mod is you feel they are miss behaving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

You may post it here, please provide links to the threads/posts you feel have crossed the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Thanks Dav,

This is the thread (I have subsequently been banned) from the Christianity forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055666008&page=3

The mod disagreed with me very strongly and said
    Maybe you should try thinking a bit more before you make ill-informed and irrational judgements against other people.

I think that tone is totally unnecessary. I reported it to him, but got no response. I said on the thread that if was not a suitable way for a mod to post.

He responded by saying:
    If you're trying to pick a fight, or wanting to discuss how a moderator should behave then you'll be out of here faster than your feet can touch the ground

Again I felt this was threatening (and I said that on the thread). A bit of bravdo. A simple PM could have sufficed. This is not a good way to moderate a forum. Its it looking for a response. It emflames emotions rather than calms them.

As mentioned I have been subsequently banned from Christianity for one week. I think this is very harsh. I have posted here for years and have not had a whif of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

In response to a direct question from another poster I had posted a carefully thought out and careful explanation of my views on same-sex couples adopting children. I stated clearly that I would have no problem with it in Scandanavia since same-sex marriages provide more stability for such relationships, and because Scandanavian society is more accepting of same-sex couples so there is much less chance of adopted children being bullied at school. Since Irish society is less accepting and progressive, I am of the opinion that gay couples should not adopt until same-sex marriage or civil unions are introduced and children will run a lesser risk of being bullied. I also pointed out that I am opposed to Christians adopting children in Afganistan or China where such adoptions would expose the children to similar bullying or worse.

It was actually quite nice to be having a rational discussion with unbelievers about Christian attitudes to homosexuality without someone airing their "You Christians are all homophobic" stereotypes. Then you decided to drag us down that route by ignoring the points I made, ignoring the fact that I am in favour of gay adoptions in Scandanavia, ignoring the fact that I oppose Christians adopting in certain settings for similar reasons, and instead getting personal by accusing me of simply rationalising my prejudices. In other words, instead of addressing the post you attacked the poster - in my view that was for no other reason than that I am a Christian.

I did not disagree with you strongly. If I had then I would have made a comment along the lines that only a retard would accuse me of being prejudiced against Irish gays, prejudiced against Afghani and Chinese Christians, but perfectly tolerant and accepting of Scandanavian gays. However, since my disagreemment was only mild, I suggested that you should try thinking a bit more before you make ill-informed and irrational judgements against other people. In other words, I addressed your post instead of attacking you.

I find it ironic that you then accuse me of personal abuse. :confused:

You then began airing your opinions on how a mod should act. Instead of waving any cards around for backseat modding I issued you with an inthread warning that you chose to ignore. Therefore I banned you for a week. I have made it clear to you by PM that we welcome those of differing viewpoints in the forum providing they abide by the Charter, and you will be very welcome back in 7 days if you are willing to address issues in posts rather than making accusations about posters. However, if you come into the Christianity forum spoiling for a fight then you will be bounced out. The regular posters deserve a forum where they can discuss Christian issues without that kind of nonsense.

I have problems with the warning you issued:

1/ Its was unnecessarily inflammatory.
    2/ It was not a stand alone warning - rather it was contained a part of a response to another post of mine. I notice other mods tend to issue warning on thread in bold print and in a single post so not to confuse the issue.
    3/ I not discussed moderation policy at that point. Rather I expressed my opinion that a moderator (or anyone else) should not engage in personal abuse. That is very different from saying ‘x should be banned’ or ‘mods should delete that last post’.

This amounts to bad moderation in my opinion. While I admit that I should not have responded to your threat I do feel that I was provoked. Also, I feel my recorded previously on this site should have been taken into consideration.

I would be interested in hearing the views of other mods/admins on this? Perhaps I am way out of line here but I do feel that this is a far from perfect moderation style.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've sat and had a read of the thread in questions and I'm afraid you did start taking it over and beyond.

PDN's retort was robust, no doubt, but assuming you're a grown up you should be used to robust conversation on the Internet.

We do expect our moderators to behave in a civil manner, however that doesn't mean we expect them to sugarcoat messages. Now I appreciate that you feel PDN was harsh in this case, and it may have come across that way. Personally I found it more a blunt "shot across the bows" comment.

With regard to previous records - well where, exactly, do we stop looking at people's past record and start taking into account their actions? There is no fixed point there.

You've recognised that you shouldn't have responded the way you did, and that's fair enough. I think that had you expressed your issues to PDN via PM this wouldn't have occured. So it's a learning exprience, and I think you've learned the lesson.

I think a fair compromise, in light of that, is for PDN to shorten the ban duration to 3/4 days.

• Advertisement

That seems fair enough to me. What do you think PDN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sounds fair to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Excellent :)

Great! Group hug?

Too soon prehaps.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement