Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carroll in legal threat to tenant over €190 bill

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Sensationalist sh!te from the Indo as usual. That's just a standard legal letter issued to a tenant for non payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Oh i know the indo is just a rag these days but still like... this is the sort of thing that could turn into a big story and maybe have an effect on his appeal through the weight of public opinion?

probably just wishful thinking... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Slightly OT: anyone hear the latest on what Liam Carroll plans to do with the gasworks in D4?

I used to live across the road from it. He failed to ship them as luxury apartments, then got his proposal to convert it to a travelodge type hotel rejected by Dublin CC, and last I heard before I left (around this time last year) was that he was trying to convert it to student accommodation for DIT!

Is it still lying idle? Think that epitomised where he went wrong - a very risky development even at the best of times - think of the costs involved in decontimination, retrofitting etc.

He also completely failed in reading the lie of the land of the area - obviously over-priced the apartments and over-estimated demand. A lot of the apartments in his neighbouring development were empty at the time.

You should take an opportunity to walk by it if you can - the rooms are very cramped - sound insulation between rooms seems compromised. Essentially it looked like just another infamous 'shoebox' development.

Yet in the year I had lived across the road from it, I always saw various pieces of work being done to it - all at his cost, done while it lay empty, not making any money!

I have no sympathy for him. Especially when considering he thought he could bulldoze the council and local residents to build anything he liked.

I thought this guy had mental health issues - wasnt he in St. Pats during an impending court hearing? Hasn't stopped him collecting money wherever he can.

Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

I thought this guy had mental health issues - wasnt he in St. Pats during an impending court hearing? Hasn't stopped him collecting money wherever he can.

Sickening.

If he had lung cancer, would it be OK if he looked after his business interests or are you suggesting that admittance to St. Pats is of more significance?

Or worse - a good reason to bankrupt him commercially without remorse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

opo wrote: »
    If he had lung cancer, would it be OK if he looked after his business interests or are you suggesting that admittance to St. Pats is of more significance?

I am suggesting that his admittance to St. Pats. was at a fortunate/unfortunate time and would therefore be sceptical of his real motives in self-admitting himself to a privately-run inpatient mental health hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

opo wrote: »

Mr Carroll is in fact insolvent in ordinary parlance he is now bankrupt. He wishes to trade his way out of insolvency. I would suggest that if his mental health is fragile it might be wise to change 'the crew who steered the ship onto the rocks' as Peter Kelly described Mr Carroll's management team. Such mental health difficulties explain the 'fanciful' nature of his plans but make him far less likely to succeed in carrying them out.

I have sympathy for every person with a mental health difficulty. If Mr Carroll sought to determine whether or not the recipient of his demand for payment suffered from such a difficulty he will certainly rise in my estimation. Do you know OPO if this is the case?

However he will not rise in my estimation to such an extent that I am willing to personally assist him in escaping bankruptcy either by paying higher taxes or through a banking levy (the latter is unlikely, for me, as I am with Ulsterbank and Bank of Scotland Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cork Boy wrote: »

It's highly unlikely that himself and the missus are sitting round sending these out....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Kalashnikov Kid posted:
    Is it still lying idle? Think that epitomised where he went wrong - a very risky development even at the best of times - think of the costs involved in decontimination, retrofitting etc.

Spot on !

The Gasworks stands tall as a giant marker to what is at the core of the current malaise.
    The likes of Carroll and the other 40 odd big-names rode roughshod over every aspect of planning commonsense and particular the local opinion and sense of community etc...all the stuff which the Zoe`s of this world found bothersome in extremis.

When they were confronted by sanity they simply reverted to their highly renumerated "Crew" who could be guaranteed to devise a "strategy" to get around any unfortunate obstacles.

The Gasworks was flaky from the get-go and was seen far and wide as being so.....one would have had to be seriously deviant to have imagined it coming to fruition as planned...either that or one was supremely confident that one`s ......."contacts" would do the business for you....:mad:

As Mr Micra sez,there is a wealth of good sound commonsense in Judge Kelly`s original judgement which IMO should be laminated and posted up on street-corners before the current Zoe crew manage to get it air-brushed from history.....stranger things have happened !!!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

People want Carroll to pay his debts (or, more accurately, they want the companies he controls to pay their debts). In order to make any stab at it, it is necessary for the companies to do their utmost to bring in any money owing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

MrMicra wrote: »
    I have sympathy for every person with a mental health difficulty. If Mr Carroll sought to determine whether or not the recipient of his demand for payment suffered from such a difficulty he will certainly rise in my estimation. Do you know OPO if this is the case?

I have no idea, I highly doubt it.

And of course Mr & Mrs Carroll do not sit at home mailing these letters, it came from his credit dept.

It was probably a fairly standard default letter that go out to all debtors who are late in paying up, the point i'm trying to make here is that this is the kind of thing that could gather momentum and cause hassle for his court appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

I don't wish Mr Carroll any ill will whatsoever certainly not as regards his mental health. This letter won't cause the Vantive developments examinership appeal any hassle.

However I don't want to pay higher taxes because our government accepts unrealistic valuations for his property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Very simple explanation, if you owe the guy money ,pay up.

That's how business works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If he's bankrupt does it not stand to reason that he probably needs the money just like the tennant except he is owed it.

Don't pay your rent, expect to be evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

thebman wrote: »
    If he's bankrupt does it not stand to reason that he probably needs the money just like the tennant except he is owed it.

Don't pay your rent, expect to be evicted.

I am sure the tenant can appeal if it goes to court and the judgment is against the tenant. I am sure the courts are very accomodating and flexible just like they appear to be for Carroll. Just a few more weeks and Nama will sort out all this IMO and the likes of Mr Carroll and the banks concerned will be very happy, so its important to keep the ball rolling for Carroll at the minute so that his companies can get their just dues of taxpayers money for all the mistakes made and no doubt all his tenants money as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I am sure the courts are very accomodating and flexible just like they appear to be for Carroll....

They are two very different situations. If my landlord defaults on his mortgage on the house I am letting does that give me the right to stop paying rent....:confused:...No, it doesn't, and no court is going to support me in not paying rent owed. Even if it does seem slightly ridiculous given the amounts owed by his group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

prinz wrote: »
    They are two very different situations. If my landlord defaults on his mortgage on the house I am letting does that give me the right to stop paying rent....:confused:...No, it doesn't, and no court is going to support me in not paying rent owed. Even if it does seem slightly ridiculous given the amounts owed by his group.

My point is still the same. The tenant can cite stress if necessary and the courts will be sympathetic in view of the current economic climate? Of course if the person owes the money it should be paid. Carroll and the banks know they will get their reward for gross negligent borrowing and lending. It appears that if one owes 150 million euro plus one is treated as well as one owning 150 million but the person owing 180 euro is trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    My point is still the same. The tenant can cite stress if necessary and the courts will be sympathetic in view of the current economic climate? Of course if the person owes the money it should be paid. Carroll and the banks know they will get their reward for gross negligent borrowing and lending.

His situation is really irrelevant when looking at the tenant being unable to pay though.

The tenant owes rent, landlord wants him to pay up (whoever that might be). Of course the tenant can use his rights to try to delay it or whatever but realistically there is a contract in place to pay.

Its just demonising Carroll further. Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy but I don't see this as being relevant at all given all the other things about the guy you could be focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes: @ you, not him

Advertisement