Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr. Bourne goes to Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

First of all, I have decided not to do the marathon. I'm simply not where I want to be, and I fear that if I did line up on the day, my immarturity would shine through quite brilliantly! So I'd go flying along until Mile 18 or so when, like the other night, I would suffer total power loss - and then be one of those guys at the side of the road, stretching muscles that shouldn't be stretched and cursing life with equal ferocity. I really don't want to be one of those guys. Really! So, I thinks it's the mature decision to say 'not yet'. And I feel better having made the decision as has been on my mind. Just like Georgia.

The good news (for me I mean) is that I shall continue running, and continue with this log. The fact is that I like running fast. So, I'll prob enter some short races. I shall however continue the longer runs with one eye on the future-marathon-calendar. What that is, and when that is, I do not know.

Anyway, back to tonight. Leg almost back to normal, but still not quite, so I immediately ruled out any kind of long run. Which meant back to my 4.6 mile route. Set a new 'season's best' on it last Friday, so I was interested to see if I could match the time.

Went out fast. Too fast! 6:09 for the first mile, which has a slight downhill gradient. Still, when I looked at my watch I thought 'Sheesh it's dark', as I couldnt read the time, but then I saw the time and thought, 'Wow!'

Mile 2/3 is uphill, and I went through 3.2 miles in 21:26. I saw the time and realised that I was within reach of last week's time, so quite frankly, I fairly pushed it the last bit with a good consistent fast pace.

4.6 miles in 29:47! Felt well after too, and that's been key. A few weeks ago, I was struggling for air at the end but today was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff outta you, no point killing yourself just to record a marathon, let's see what you can do over the classic distances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great call - tough decision to make but you'll have plenty more chances to run a marathon. Enjoy the short stuff.

Thanks guys, will do. Nice to be fit again at least - hopefully I'll get some fast times going!

Don't quite know what happened tonight: a total system's failure. Had intended to do 9.5 miles.

The first 2 miles were fine, going through mile 1 in 6:30 or so without much effort (nice to be able to say that). Mile 2 was fine as well, even if I then noticed my legs were starting to feel 'heavy'. Mile 3 is uphill, so any pain at this point I always assume to be normal, but when I got to the top I noticed that my right hip suddenly did its thing. But still, screw it, no problem, keep going. At mile 4 I got that feckin stitch again. Also, my feet started paining as I was wearing totally the wrong pair of socks which were far too thin. Went through 4 miles in 29:00. Then quite suddenly the left calf just went again. I pictured a 'ping' noise in my head, if it's possible to picture a sound?! Something definitely feels incredibly strained though. I made it to mile 5 in 37 mins, but I realised I wasn't going anywhere. Still was a good 1.5 miles from the car, so with my tail firmly between my legs, I walked the rest of the way along the N11. If anyone saw a rather dejected figure walking along, well, you know who it was!

About 0.5 miles from home, impatience got the better of me. Decided to pretty much sprint the last part. The leg is only very sore when I land heavily on it, but at speed I can be quite light on my feet, so overall, it was a nice way to finish, and at least I felt as if I'd done something! I love running fast at night!

Well, I suppose with no pressing deadlines, I had better give the leg a rest. Purposely did nothing on Sat/Sun, and Friday had been the best run yet almost, so this came out of the blue. Glad I'm not doing the marathon!

Ar$e

• Advertisement

I hadn't intended doing any running tonight, and as I ate my dinner I felt committed to this decision. However, after dinner I wasn't feeling very well, so thought some air might do me good. Ended up driving home via the track and, since I had running-gear in the car, I gave it a go.

With the leg giving trouble over anything after 4/5 miles, I decided now was a good opportunity to run 1610 meters, or a 'mile' as others call it. I arrived at the track to find it totally abandoned - which suited me fine as I was wondering if I was going to throw up! A mist/fog then arrived as I completed my single lap warm up so I thought I'd get on with it.

Lap 1, 410 meters. As it was pretty dark but for a few street lamps, I found it hard to gauge my pace. I thought I'd gone out fast and when I read the clock it said 1:27 - not the kind of return I was hoping for! Sigh...

Lap 2, I pushed on a bit harder, felt quite fast. But was too busy to bother checking times now - just kept hitting the lap/split button!!

Lap 3, I wondered why I had pushed on in lap 2?! Half way around this lap I thought I was gone. I kept telling myself "You're over half way! You're over half way!!" over and over and over again. It was so cold at this point too, and I was breathing so hard that I could see the breath condensing like a steam engine...

Lap 4, This was hard! Even the first straight my legs were gone but I was just trying to keep any momentum going and as I rounded the bend I remember thinking "7/8s! 87.5%! Go!" The back straight went ok but the final bend was rubbish and just about hanging on. Thankfully I did.

I hit the stop button but couldn't even look at my watch. I was absolutely destroyed and was sure that it was a terrible time. I was barely able to walk another lap and just couldn't catch my breath, and I was wondering if I was going to throw up. I didn't - and I felt like a champion for that! But I had to lie down on the ground for a few minutes and I was so annoyed - it felt like I had put a lot into the run, yet I *knew* it was a crap time. Then I thought what I often think when I'm in bits 'Why the hell do I run?! Why the hell did I just do that?! I hate running!! Runners are idiots!' Collapsed back into the car and put the heater on. That didn't help so put the aircon on. That didn't help either so put the window down! Was there for a good 10 mins just sitting in the carpark before finally drove off! At that point, still hadn't checked the time so instead on the way home I played 'guess the time'!

My head kept telling me it was going to be over 6 minutes. Laps 3/4 were too slow! But my heart was praying sub-6 minutes please!!!!

Arrived home and checked the time: 5:29!!! I burst out laughing and in that single moment all of my 'running is for idiots' thoughts evaporated and were instead replaced by a feeling of well-being that is still with me 3 hours later!

Splits:
    Lap 1 (+10m), 1:27
    Lap 2, 1:19
    Lap 3, 1:21
    Lap 4, 1:20

As some of you may remember, I had tried for a sub-5 minute mile last year and ended up at 5:08 or so a couple of times. So to get to 5:29 in 6 weeks or so, I'm really, really happy!

That was a long post for a five minute run!

Wore long sleeved tshirt last night as thought it was going to be cold. I was wrong. Overheated, but managed fairly consistent pace and finished well. Nothing to report...
    31:31

Enjoyable run this evening - and my thanks to the high pressure system that Ireland is enjoying at the moment! Was happy just ambling along the first four miles, then the last 2.5 I pushed on a bit. Finished in 45:43 which I think is the quickest I've done this route this year, but not sure. Wasn't trying to go fast - it just happened - so I think that's down to a general improvement in fitness. I could have gone longer, but why bother I thought! Millions of people out running tonight! Yep, literally millions!

Was eating dinner and watching Setanta Sports earlier - anyone heard of this 'tough guy' event/run?! Crazy people wading through rivers and mud, and rivers of mud. In freezing conditions. Seemed frankly stupid even by my own standards - but alas those in the room with me were quick to point out that it's exactly the kind of thing that I would do... Heh... hmm

I must try a proper 'tempo' run again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done on the mile time, thats excellent and being able to push yourself on your own, I wonder how that run would translate under race conditions ?

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done on the mile time, thats excellent and being able to push yourself on your own, I wonder how that run would translate under race conditions ?

Thanks very much - yeah I still have hope that someeee day I'll duck under that elusive 5 min figure! 4:59 I would gladly take even if it meant having to hang up my beloved 2130s then and there!!

Was looking at some of your reports there a while ago - I was on here a year or so back and I remember you were just kind of getting going again (or had been recently) - looks like you've been making pretty good progress - a few marathons right!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

bourne99 wrote: »
    Thanks very much - yeah I still have hope that someeee day I'll duck under that elusive 5 min figure! 4:59 I would gladly take even if it meant having to hang up my beloved 2130s then and there!!

Was looking at some of your reports there a while ago - I was on here a year or so back and I remember you were just kind of getting going again (or had been recently) - looks like you've been making pretty good progress - a few marathons right!?

Thanks, yep a few marathons but I feel they've taken all my zap so I've been informed of a 2 mile race in Raheny next Wednesday and a 3K in Arklow in November, so I'm going to work on a bit of speed now, so I'll pay more attention to your log for a bit of advice.

Yet again, I've failed to do my elusive 9 miles! First two miles were very comfortable and completed in 14 mins flat. At the 2.5 mile point, I felt my left calf act up again. This was at the bottom of a long hill which goes on until the 3.2 mile point. When I got to the top, I was in some agony; hills seem to make it worse. I thought about stopping but instead kept going and decided to abandon the long run and take my 4.6 mile route instead. I figured that another 1.4 miles or so wouldn't make much difference to me at that stage, so I pressed on a bit quicker and finished up well. But it was bloody sore. Even worse, maybe it was because I was worried about my leg and caused myself some stress, I overheated badly. Felt awful generally - which was a shame after such a promising start.

31:27 in the end.

I think my technique of running is causing some problems. I've altered it a few times in order to reduce the impact levels, but I suspect I've caused myself harm here as I've never ever had a problem like this before - and I've had lots of problems believe me! Ironically, the slower I go, the more pain I cause myself.

So, that being the case, I'll head out to the track tomorrow evening and see about trying to record a 20:XX time for 5k.

Went back to the track tonight to do my intended 5k in 20:XX as I said the other day. As per usual, it was pitch dark - even more so than usual as winter's really starting to make its presence felt. But alas, it was still quite pleasant and surprisingly warm - despite the winds that rocked my car back and forth along the M50.

I decided that I wasn't going to push like crazy this time, I had set myself a goal of 1:40/lap, and at the end of lap one, I saw 1:42 on my watch. So, I hit the split button, settled into that pace, and didn't bother looking at the watch until I had finished.

Lap times:
    1. 1:42
    2. 1:43
    3. 1:44
    4. 1:43
    5. 1:42
    6. 1:45
    7. 1:42
    8. 1:42
    9. 1:40
    10. 1:40
    11. 1:31
    12. 1:28
    13. 0:39 (half lap)
    Final time: 20:46

Unfortunately, after exactly 1km, my left calf once more just 'went'. The first two laps felt absolutely great - really comfortable, and then rounding a bend, the calf tightened up considerably - exactly the same problem as I've had the last week or two - so I think I'm going to have to take a few days off. Anyway, I was at the track, so I figured I'd push on. Unfortunately it played a bit on my mind and it was funny because at around the lap 8/9 mark, where I usually start to speed up, I started feeling a little nervous - i.e - if I go too hard on the leg, I don't want to not complete my 5k. It was all quite sore really and I was carrying my left leg completely - at one point I thought to myself 'imagine if I had two good legs!'. Lap 11 I figured eff it I was nearly home so I sped up a tiny bit, but I only went fast on the final half lap - which was disappointing. As has been the case the last few times, usually I'm able to muster up a 1:20 flat after a few 1:30s. But not to worry. 20:30 would have been nice, but this is a good start.

Anyway, 5k in 20:46 - another 'seasons best' for me! Yeah!

Just thought I'd review my progress since starting this log thing a few weeks back. I've also added a 'goal' which I hope to achieve by the year's end.

1 mile
    Aug: 7:00~
    Oct: 5:29
    Goal: 5:10

Aug: 22:51
    Sept: 21:15
    Oct: 20:46
    Goal: 19:XX

Sept: 44:54
    Goal: 41:XX (I'm sceptical on this one!)

4.6 mile route
    Aug: 34:49
    Sept: 31:41
    Oct: 29:47 (freak time, not a fair reflection)
    Goal: 28:XX

6.5 mile route
    Aug: 51:52
    Sept: 46:21
    Oct: 45:43
    Goal: 43:XX

That should keep me going for the next while!

Edit: Comments, Happiest with the 1 mile time from the other day, as well as my 4.6 mile routes. That is my 'local' run, and when I started trying to do it again during the summer, I couldn't even run for 6 minutes in a row. When that happened, I went to the gym for a few weeks before remerging and trying again. Luckily it did the trick!

So, took 8 days off there to help the calf work itself out. Lasted fine, but afterwards when I was having to do some climbing on a ladder, I 'felt' it. It was generally hard going again tonight after the miniature break and zero air since the last day. Was quite mild out and as per usual, I overheated. I suspect it could be ZERO outside and I'd still overheat...

6.5 miles in 46:55. It felt a lot faster than that, especially the last part but alas it was slower than I expected. At 4 miles or so, I was really not feeling the best, and then I thought to myself, '4 miles?! Wasn't there a marathon on yesterday!?'

Congrats to all who were braver than I! Seems like a lot of targets were met, a good day for running.

I think I might do one of those jingle bell 5ks in december and see if I can manage that sub-20, so that's my short term goal.

Was a nice evening so I couldn't resist a short and relatively quick run on a route I used to do all the time, but haven't covered in a year or so. Did the 2.9 miles in 19:08. My record for the route is 17 flat, so happy enough with tonight's run as was hoping for anything under 20. Good fun.

Beware of Micra drivers btw, especially at junctions. They're rubbish and liable to try and hit you. And to all Golf drivers: you're not as good as you think you are.

Was a really nice night out tonight: slight drizzle with puddles on the ground - and not too warm and not too cold. For me, perfect conditions for running at night. What's more, as soon as I set off, my legs felt great so I decided screw it, time for a no-excuses fast run.

My previous best was 45:43 from a couple of weeks back. So, I decided I'd go out pretty quick, and I did passing the 2 mile mark in around 13 mins. Recently, well Tuesday, I had noticed I was fading between miles 4-5, so I tried to keep the tempo up this time. It hurt. Luckily I managed to hold the pace though, and I finished the last 0.5 mile well. Throughout the run, I kept aiming for puddles to and by the end, with the leaves all over the place, I looked like I'd done a cross-country race.

The only downside was an altercation with an Audi - both of us were at fault. He appeared from nowhere, at some pace, to join a stationary, backed-up main road, just as I was crossing his minor road. I didn't see him as I was watching for the traffic turning off the main road. I think we both scared ourselves and almost had a 'racing incident'. Alas, he braked, and I used my best rugby sidestep to avert disaster, but I suspect his heart-rate matched my own. I waved an apology, but he still beeped. I'm not a beeper, but fair enough. Anyway, the moral of the story is to watch out at the moment, slippy conditions etc.

Final time 44:04, which is almost 1:40 improvement over previous fastest. Needless to say I was quite happy and it felt like a return to form as I have reverted to my 'old' running style. Hopefully the calf issue is fixed, it certainly seems that way. Nearly at my 43:XX target time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey just catching up on your log there.
    You have good speed there!

I'm hoping to start back on track sessions over the winter and do some shorter stuff. I'm really interested to see what times i could produce in 5 and 8ks.

First of all, a big welcome back to my running companion who pushed me along when I recorded my p.b's before. This week, as I've finally started to pick up the pace a little, he has rejoined me in my running. His name is pain, and he is always present now, looking over my shoulder. Giving out...

Well, I'm pretty busy today, but just got out for a 2.9 miles which again I tried to do with a 'no-excuses, fast' pace! Bit of an ominous chill in the air today, but overall conditions were pretty good and very little traffic. I started out a little slow, but picked up the pace and compared to my 19:08 run a few days ago, I was slightly quicker on all of my splits, and finished up in 18:43 - which I think is quite competitive! It's been hard going these last few days, but great to see progress on the times front. I wonder if before the end of the year I might get a p.b. over some kind of distance? I think I need to aim for it.

Have to say I'm pretty happy with myself! I've never been one to gain weight or anything, but I look visibly fitter and leaner now so again I take that as a sign of things going in the right direction.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy these short runs - it's why I run really. The long distance stuff, which I was trying out a couple of weeks ago, just really isn't me. So, I think I'll just keep going with these 2.9, 4.6, 6.5 mile routes that I have.

Again, I have also to recommend these Asics 2130s that I wear. I'm a neutral/underpronator runner and although I think these were designed for the overpronator etc., they have stood up incredibly well, and now that they are well and truly run-in, they are totally moulded to my feet. Indeed, with each run as more little holes are appearing and more rubber is being worn away, they are getting lighter and lighter, yet are still comfortable. Only a few weeks back I was thinking it was new runner time, but screw it, if I can endure these faster runs, then so can they! The main thing is that I have zero foot/leg/knee problems at the moment. So, if anyone sees a pair stuck in a bargain shelf, might be worth a look. I hated mine when I got them first. They were the most expensive runners I'd ever bought, yet they just seemed... clunky?! I even reverted to 1120/1130s, but now that I'm into them, I'll be sad to see them go. Running is a pleasure at the moment, and that's how it should be!!

Nuts. The cold weather has finally arrived. Went out last night and it just didn't *feel* right from the get-go. Had taken Mon/Tues/Wed off and as soon as I started running it felt like an age since I'd done it and my actual running technique didn't feel right... Weird. Anyway, went on as normal until the 4 mile mark when suddenly my right calf did exactly what my LEFT calf had been doing over the last few weeks! Was quite shocked! Kept going anyway, but it all felt rather slow and as I ran I kept trying to guess what my finishing time would be. I guessed 47:00, so when I crossed the line in 44:58 I was quite happy. I couldn't manage a fast finish, which was a shame, the silly leg.

Don't quite know what to make about this whole calf-strain thing. As I've mentioned before, I'd had lots of things with my legs before, but this is new. Had a spectucular failure of the quad once whilst sprinting for the try-line years ago - that was one of the most painful things and out of the blue. But this, this is just a silly niggling thing, but identical to what I felt in the left calf a week or two back. As I ran along though, I did think to myself, 'well at least the left calf is working now'!?!

I fear this is a sign that I am getting older. I remember the days when I could run five miles, play a game of tip, go to the gym - then go out for the night. And all without stretching...!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi Bourne.

Just reading up on ya, well done, your times are great! I had probs with my calves too, all the stretching in the world didnt help but physio did. Hope you get it sorted anyhow.

By the way, that Tough guy thing you mention a while back. Did it, doing it again. Its horrible. I recommend it if youre insane. :)

Had no sleep last night - for reasons which were nowhere near as exciting as they should have been! But anyway, attempted to clear the head by going to the track. Got there and it was pretty busy this afternoon with families and kids legging it around. I had hoped to be doing some 800m intervals - for why - I do not know. But alas, that's what I decided on. So, I thought I'd start up by doing a few laps to warm up, but within 100m I pretty much figured there was nothing doing. Felt absolutely awful - as if I was starting running for the very first time. Did 1:39 the first two laps which felt fine, but the calf was niggling at me, so I knew I didn't want to be doing any long distance stuff or even 5k. So then I did a 1:35 and then a 1:20 - all the while watching out for kids and bikes, and then I just stopped. Fed up. Sat down for a while.

Then I thought, sure maybe I can do a sprint or two. Bad idea. I felt like a car revving in neutral!! I huffed to a stop at 60m with my sore leg, and just walked off. I felt like a loser! The final insult was my t-shirt which was too small and felt like I was wearing a cut-off tank top from a WHAM! video. And that's just not how I roll!! Not by a long shot my friend...

So 1 whole mile in 6:15. Yeahhhhhhhh.....

Wow - what brilliant weather!! Now, I know it's not for some people - but there's something about running in the rain that gets me going. I wasn't sure if I'd run tonight as when I was driving along this eve the rain torrential, and there was no one out at all. But I took to my start line and within a few seconds I realised I was soaked to the skin already - so in for a penny as they say.

Took off and wasn't sure how far I'd go - I didn't want to go over 6 miles as my calf has been acting like a coward of late, so it was either my fast 2.9 route or 4.5. I soon realised that it wasn't the calf that I needed to worry about but not drowning! Wow, I've never had trouble breathing in the rain before but this time I did - The rain was impressive! I went through the two miles in around 13:10, so thought cool - keep going to 4.5. Still didn't meet anyone running the other way - which made it more enjoyable because it made me feel tough! I should point out that I'm one of these guys that jumps into puddles.. I got to my 3.2 mile marker in record time*, and was starting to wonder should I go for the longer 6.5 miles? But "DISCRETION, DISCRETION" I thought, and stuck to the original plan.

Towards the end, I finally met some other runners - but those pansies were wearing rain gear! Hah! Shorts and a t-shirt for me! And I shall continue to wear such throughout 'winter'... it just doesn't seem right to run in anything else. I did cry a little in the shower afterwards though.

So anyway, I didn't dare risk a sprint at the end or anything near as visibility was zero but 4.6 miles in 30:10 in the end - which is about as good a recovery from yesterday as I could have hoped for!

I'm back, baby!

*No records were actually broken during this run

6.5 mile route
    Aug: 51:52
    Sept: 46:21
    Oct: 45:43
    Goal: 43:XX

At the end of October I set out some goals to achieve by the end of the year and I'm pleased to report that tonight I broke my first one of them!

So, having enjoyed the lashing rain the other night, I once more took to the high seas tonight! I decided straight away to hit the 6.5 mile route and decided that I'd go out steady for the first part and then try and pick up the pace around miles 2/3 which are uphill and the hardest part of the run.

Mile 1, I went through in around 6:45 or so. The next mile was quite funny as going down the N11 a girl overtook me on her bike. One mile later she turned around and looked shocked to see that I was still on her shoulder! I love keeping up with bikes - even if she was slowed by the rain and a headwind. Unfortunately she took a different route just when we were approaching the main uphill part of my run. I've noticed it's getting easier and easier though and tonight, despite the wind, was no exception. At around mile 4, my right calf started paining again and I was finding it difficult to judge my pace. I really thought I was barely moving, but I noticed that I was overtaking a few other runners, so I decided (hoped) that maybe I was going okay afterall? Unfortunately mile 5, which again is a long uphill part was very hard going and the wind/rain was now right in my face. But alas, I just kept telling myself to have faith, and even though it felt slow, I just kept thinking that I had gone so well at the start and that maybe I had time in hand. Keep going! The last 0.5 mile levelled out and the wind died down, and I was able to go okay again, though at this point my calf was pretty sore.

I sprinted the final 100m or so and I really enjoyed the whole thing. The only down side was that tonight I learned for the first time that bleeding nipples weren't just something made up to scare children - like the boogieman. Or Eddie Hobbs... No, they do in fact exist and even now, hours later, well, i'm a little sore!!

But, it was all worth it for my final time was 43:42 which means my 43:XX goal has been achieved! I'm particularly happy given the conditions and the bit of fighting spirit I showed to keep going! To celebrate, I just watched all of 'Pearl Harbour' on RTE there.. Now, some would say that's not a good thing, and once upon a time I would have agreed. But now, screw it, once you get over the fact that it's 'just a movie' and not 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Band of Brothers', and you say to yourself that Ben Affleck is a GREAT actor, and just decide to enjoy it, well then it becomes quite good. Failing that, its got planes and Kate Beckinsale in it.

Final thing to report is that, just like I said I would, I signed up for the Jingle Bells 5k! I predict a 19:XX time (tempted to say a little lower but fair's fair) and, looking at previous years, scraping into the top 200!?!? What's that about!! Should have entered the Data Solution 5k...

I've been looking forward for the last few weeks to being able to write this post, and thankfully now, as of last night, I'm able to.

So, like a lot of people, I drove home last night (Friday) along the N11 and got caught up in the torrential downpoor at around 7pm. Lots of crazy drivers about and mini-floods made it an interesting drive. What made it more interesting though was that, since I had my gear with me, I thought I'd hit the track!

I arrived to find the carpark totally abandoned and apart from the usual street-lamps, it was miserably dark. As I pulled up, and parked the car, I ended up just sitting there for some minutes to watch the rain blow horizontal as the car rocked back and forth. I have to say, I was quite aprehensive about getting out. Indeed, I decided no, I'll leave it. But just as I thought this - a particular song came over the radio which carries some meaning for me - and I ended up thinking how at least I'm here and I'm able to do this when there are so many that can't. I couldn't not go out. When the song ended, I threw open the car door and was greeted by the ful brunt of what the weather as offering: a lot. As posted before, I had run through the rain all this week, but this seemed new. This seemed tougher.

With my enthusiasm renewed, I legged it from the car to the track and continued running until I hit the start line, which was about half a lap away. The track is always dark these evenings but now it was darker than I remember as the constant wall of rain seemed to block out a lot of light. Indeed, with it going into my eyes the whole time, it was just plain hard to see and often I'd just stare down at my feet to get my bearings. Staring at the lanes. Rivers. There were actual rivers running across the track around the turns and I would say that within maybe fifteen or twenty seconds of my leaving the car, I was thoroughly soaked to the skin. As per usual, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt... nice.

I crossed the line and hit the watch. I knew my adrenaline was pumping, and it needed to be; no matter which way I was pointing on the track, I seemed to be running into a headwind! And wow - the rain was stinging. It seemed to pelt my face in tiny piercing bullets, but not always - just sometimes when the wind blew hard. But the adrenaline was pumping and I felt good. Do your worst weather but I'm staying!
    Aug: 22:51
    Sept: 21:15
    Oct: 20:46
    Goal: 19:XX

Now, I know that every run I do seems to be filled with drama - I never seem to just have an average ticking over run, but I suppose the reason is that I put a lot into all my runs as I'm always trying to go faster than before. It might not be as fast as other people - or even as fast as I've gone before - but it's usually as fast as I can possibly go at that particular point. I had proven to myself two days previously that I can start pushing my times down, which is why I was at the track. I wanted to better my 5k time. Last night, it felt as if the odds were against me, but I was desperate to go fast over 5k. Here's what I did.

Lap times:
    1. 1:31
    2. 1:33
    3. 1:32
    4. 1:33
    5. 1:34
    6. 1:35
    7. 1:34
    8. 1:33
    9. 1:37
    10. 1:37
    11. 1:36
    12. 1:34
    13. 0:45 (half lap)
    I found the first mile ok, but at certain points the wind and rain would get worse. As it was I was struggling by lap 5. On lap 9 the weather resembled something that Shackleton would have faced, and running around one of the turns whilst crossing stream, I was blown stationary! Lap 9/10 were easily the hardest. Thankfully the 5k point arrived just in time for me. There was no sprint finish this time or anything near it. As I crossed the line, I was bent double for some time. I didn't bother looking at the watch, I knew it was faster than I'd done this year. I guessed 20:00, but prayed for anything below.

An hour later, having showered and cleaned myself up, I checked the watch: the final time was 19:40 which I am immensely proud of. I know some people probably do this week in week out, but as far as personal achievements go, I'm happy that I got out there and gave it everything, and I will remember last night's run for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

fair play, exactly matches my pb, but you ll take at least 40 seconds off that in a race imo.

Well, I'll do my best come December 5th, but I'm scepticallll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Well, I'll do my best come December 5th, but I'm scepticallll!!
    my best before doing my first race was 20:54, i ran 19:40 in the race. for half marathon id run 1:39 in training and then ran 1:34 in a race. i think you can break 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

^^^ +1

I'd be surpised if he didn't... no pressure now.... :D

• Advertisement

haha, thanks guys! I'll certainly be giving it my best on the day and I'll bear it in mind during my 'training' over the next two weeks! (Queue inspirational music) I'll have my big-book-of-excuses at the ready though should I scrape my knee or something equally catastrophic!

Advertisement