Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation & Opinion game.

Options
  • 31-08-2009 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I don't think there's been much discussion going on around here, but people certainly seem interested in the game threads. So I thought I'd post something that might stir up a little discussion, as well as be a bit of fun. First off, a poster recommends a song and they post a youtube video, it should be something that you think people wouldn't have heard before. The idea is to introduce posters to something they might not have heard before, then that poster has to give an opinion on it before posting their own recommendation and video. And you have to give a good opinion, not just "that was good" or "that was crap", you have to write a little more than that, give a bit more detail on why you like or dislike it, then you post your recommendation. Fairly straight forward, right?

I'll get the ball rolling with this:

So, you have to give your opinion on the above song, then post a song that you recommend. Then the next person has to give an opinion on that song before they post theirs, and so on.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought that was a wonderful instrumental, with some good bass and drum work. Reminded me of Rush to a certain extent Never heard them before and I'm quite impressed.

I'm going to go with some Pain of Salvation

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'd heard about Pain of Salvation and had meant to check them out but never got around to it but I think I'll have to now.

The first impression I get from listening to that is one of epicness, very powerful. It's clearly well written and thought out. I'm in truth very much liking the climatic solo at the end too, caps it off nicely and it really fits in with the rest of the song. I've listened to it a few times now and it keeps getting better.

I'm not very good at describing or analysing music so I'll leave it at that, quite a good song.

I'm going to throw up Gama Bomb since I've had Citizen Brain on repeat for the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, not too many replies so far, that's a pity.
    Schism wrote: »

I quite like Gama Bomb. They don't do anything particularly original, but they do the good old Thrash extremely well, and I like the singer a lot, reminds me quite a bit of Tom Araya.

Here's Porcupine Tree:

I quite like Gama Bomb. They don't do anything particularly original, but they do the good old Thrash extremely well, and I like the singer a lot, reminds me quite a bit of Tom Araya.

Here's Porcupine Tree:

Nice song, kinda reminds me of Rush a tad.

Here's some Coroner for you.:)

Alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Crap, missed LN's post:
    I liked the intro. The guiters made me think of Iron Maiden for some reason. lol. The riff kinda sounded like them. Abit ordinary for my likes though. Nothing really stands out, apart from the vocals.

Here's Porcupine Tree:
    Well it is a quarter to one Karl. Its past everyone's bed time;)

Porcupine Tree, what can I say. Only got into them recently. They're one of only a very small handful of bands that can blend mutiple genres into one song, and do it brilliantly. Blackest Eyes is one of my favourite songs by them. Gavin Harrison is a brilliant drummer with them, mixing complexity and simplicity. (but that's for a different thread)

Here's my contribution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

LD 50 wrote: »

Wouldnt like this at all.It sounds like (to me anyway) that they are trying to meld Mastodon with Tool.It started out well but meh.
    And whats with the vocals?As far as Im concerned harmonizers/distorters should really kept within the realm of death metal.

And now for something completely different.

Digital hardcore FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Wow its 7am and the Atari's really woke me up. This buzz saw\white noise frenzy will have the listener bouncing in no time. Cross the pixies Tonys theme with Lou reeds metal machine music then filter it through a compressed digital nightmare. It speeds along in 2;30 minutes helped along by the rallying cry of the female vocalists. Very much an 'if you want to listen something raucous!' tune, nice as Bob Harris would say

here's mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

It always saddens me to see good rock/ metal played in front of a seated audience. I had heard of GFR, but never gave them a fair trial in those previous generation music discriminations I indulged in to assert my teenagehood and how cool it was to like faster and heavier than it ever was. I should have dropped the **** and listened, as this track is pretty good, a very tight band and not over-stated as was the case with a lot of bands of that era. No-frills rock with blues undercurrents, a bit like Free should have been all of the time.

My effort is Paris's answer to the Virgin Prunes, Queensryche and the Prodigy: Undercover Slit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZTZu6hWMXk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

enjoyed the Coroner clip have not heard them in years and years
    the Under Cover Sluts song ( Humiliation)did not really grab me would not be into that style of vocals, the song just seems a bit mixed up. Although it is strangely catchy.....and with a creepy laughing end

Porcupine Tree seems like something I could give a whirl as well ,although I have never heard of them before...

I have selected a track from Machine Head from their "The Blackening" Record
    the first metal/rock cd that I have bought in years
    I really love the guitar sound and the overall sound , not so gone on the vocal work but I suppose it fits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

vasch_ro wrote: »

The Blackening is an album I've tried and tried to get in to. Terrible lyrics (cheesy!) and songs that went on forever. This is ok. But it's still like they're trying to fit a lot in to a finite space........and everything is a buildup. Why didn't they stick to the straight-to-the-point metal (Block anyone?).

Ok my choice is not for everyone either, but it's a band I love. Just pure groove and bob-yo-head metal. Have a listen and tell me what ya think?

The "collect call from 'rawwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrr'" gets me every time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

chin_grin wrote: »
    The Blackening is an album I've tried and tried to get in to. Terrible lyrics (cheesy!) and songs that went on forever. This is ok. But it's still like they're trying to fit a lot in to a finite space........and everything is a buildup. Why didn't they stick to the straight-to-the-point metal (Block anyone?).

Ok my choice is not for everyone either, but it's a band I love. Just pure groove and bob-yo-head metal. Have a listen and tell me what ya think?

The "collect call from 'rawwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrr'" gets me every time! :D

I quite like that! It sounds like pantera with a bit of "the blackening" era machine head. The only bit I didnt like was that there was too much distortion.

heres one of my favourite metal songs atm (its the slowish descending chorus that I like most about this, the one after the guitar solo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Max Power1 wrote: »

While Ive always been a Deicide fan,Ive always felt they descended into somewhat of a parody after Once Upon The Cross.I know they had alot of troubles with Roadrunner and were pretty much going through their paces with this album and in particular,In Torment In Hell.
    Not a bad song but a bit too cheesey compared say Legion or Deicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Kinda liking that himza track. reminds me little of earthtone 9 from bck in the day. Nice heavy giutar and vocals that are not too harsh on the lug. I would have jumped all over it ten yrs ago when in my twilight teen yrs.

and

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

frag420 wrote: »

triv88 wrote: »

Nobody seems to want to touch this one. I've listened to some Buckethead and he's an immensely talented musician, and this song shows he can write music too. It's enjoyable to listen to every now and then but I find I move onto something else very quickly.

I'm going with Helmet for mine, not a very obscure band but I don't see them mentioned much here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Schism wrote: »
    I'm going with Helmet for mine, not a very obscure band but I don't see them mentioned much here.

I love the chaotic intro into the riff at 0:13. The song itself is quite straightforward in structure but it's effective as something to nod along to. After Cynic, Pain of Salvation and Buckethead it's good to have some music played by mere mortals :).

Here is some female-fronted Power Metal from Finland. Fans of Nightwish should like this a lot. It's a song called Voimat Villieläimen by a band called Villieläin. Hopefully they are obscure enough, I hadn't heard of them until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

malice_ wrote: »
    Here is some female-fronted Power Metal from Finland. Fans of Nightwish should like this a lot. It's a song called Voimat Villieläimen by a band called Villieläin. Hopefully they are obscure enough, I hadn't heard of them until recently.

Kinda reminded me of a female/emo fronted version of something that Accept might have done 20 years ago. Not a fan of the "modern" shouty/implore/feel my pain styled vocals I have to say. The track also lacks a proper 2nd act as simply switches between two short progressions and goes up/down an octave.

Dunno if Spirit count as obscure. The best of the late 60s west coast psychedelic bands to my mind as they were both the most musically gifted and least indulgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

mike65 wrote:

Dunno if Spirit count as obscure. The best of the late 60s west coast psychedelic bands to my mind as they were both the most musically gifted and least indulgent.

I never really got into classic rock much. Had never heard of that band. I liked the first 40 seconds or so,I like the guitar and the harmonised vocals and the chorus is ok. There's bits throughout that I like but overall it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

I'll put up Camel's Lady Fantasy, it was the first song I heard by them. Really really impressed by it. All the instruments, vocals etc. Everything is just spot on. And it's so melodic, which is the biggest selling point for me.

It's fairly long so it might put some people off but listen through if you can.

Oh and great idea for a thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I never really got into classic rock much. Had never heard of that band. I liked the first 40 seconds or so,I like the guitar and the harmonised vocals and the chorus is ok. There's bits throughout that I like but overall it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

I'll put up Camel's Lady Fantasy, it was the first song I heard by them. Really really impressed by it. All the instruments, vocals etc. Everything is just spot on. And it's so melodic, which is the biggest selling point for me.

It's fairly long so it might put some people off but listen through if you can.

Oh and great idea for a thread

Absolutely love Camel myself, and as you say, their music is extremely melodic. Lady Fantasy is just terrific, and a great example of their style. They also made one of the very finest instrumental albums I've heard, The Snow Goose.

For my next recommendation, I say give a listen to Gackt. It's probably a bit too pop-metal for a lot of people's tastes, but I really like his style. When I like a singer, it's usually because I like the vocal melodies, and I think Gackt does that well:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I seriously enjoyed that song. First thing that hit me was the vocals, so very powerful. The sudden changes from peaceful guitar strumming to drum smashing metal was done perfectly. An excellent solo to cap it all off. Overall a brilliant track.

I'm going to go with Sabaton, WW2 based Power metal :D. Might be a bit cheesey for some peoples tastes, but I'll see what you think.

Description from the video : "This song is about the Battle of Wizna in Poland 1939 where Cpt Raginis and his brave 720 soliders defended Wizna from the nazis."

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That song, and the whole album (The Art Of War), are pretty damn good - a very interesting concept for a power metal album.

Let's go Faroese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

That song, and the whole album (The Art Of War), are pretty damn good - a very interesting concept for a power metal album.

Let's go Faroese.

some ropey acting and lyrics make this hard to stomach at first but it gets alot better with repeated listens if you close your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

triv88 wrote: »

Pretty damn interesting, and some very good instrumentation. It reminds of Isis a lot.

I'm not exactly sure how to embed videos, but this will have to do. This is probably the most stunning and evocative rock/goth rock song I ever heard, and it's from one the best goth rock albums of the 90's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmP1Hng5uZs

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I like that! Probably more chilled-out that what I usually listen to, but quite haunting vocals and the bass line is really cool, almost hypnotic.

Soilwork probably aren't obscure enough, but all the same this is one of my favourite ever tracks - Follow the Hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Joe_Dull wrote: »

Pretty good, but nowhere near as class as 'As We Speak' from the same album.

This is a real class song from Arcane Sun's debut album from 1998. It's just a pity that not too many people knew or know about this album and band. I feel like I'm one of the few who know and love this album and band.:(
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jlEkJEwenv4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jlEkJEwenv4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FYP

damonjewel wrote: »

FYP

Ok This din't do much for me as I found it pretty ordinary and cliche'd until 6:30mins into the song where it had duel guitars soloing and piano, which really makes the track worthwhile. And for me made that interesting and as I don't know much about them, it was unexpected.

Here is one of my favourite bands at the moment. They're nothing special but I love their low-fi sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

damonjewel wrote: »
    Ok This din't do much for me as I found it pretty ordinary and cliche'd until 6:30mins into the song where it had duel guitars soloing and piano, which really makes the track worthwhile. And for me made that interesting and as I don't know much about them, it was unexpected.

Here is one of my favourite bands at the moment. They're nothing special but I love their low-fi sound
    Not really my thing. Their low-fi sound just sounds like badly produced noise. Couldn't make out what the vocals were, and the drums sounded like a worse version of the snare in St. Anger, aswell as being too quiet. This may have been the sound they were going for, but it does nothing for me.

Heard about this band after their singer appeared on a Cradle of Filth song(don't let that cloud your opinion though) They're a Scandanavian band, but not quite what you'd be expecting from a Scandanavian metal band. This is off their newest album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

LD 50 wrote: »

I quite enjoyed that, they seemed to be similar vein to Therion, will definately have a listen to their other stuff.

I couldnt find a proper vid for this. The japanese are mental!

• Advertisement

Nea wrote: »

That was a cool song. Liked the keyboards throughout and the outro was great too.

I'm going to post Sanctity.

Advertisement