Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation & Opinion game.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Schism wrote:
    That was a cool song. Liked the keyboards throughout and the outro was great too.

I'm going to post Sanctity.

Going to bump this thread as I thought it was a good idea.

Not too mad on that song. It sounds kinda like Trivium or something. WHile there's some parts I think are good overall I don't like the song. (It's hard to comment on stuff you're not mad about!)

Well as a complete contrast to the last band I posted I'll post Suffocation - Pierced from Within. Some old school death metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Dr.Poca wrote: »

I've been meaning to listen to suffocation for a while and am glad I did. I'm a big fan of old school death metal like Cynic and Death but was never really into the more brutal side. I think this is a good song though, all the instruments are done great and the vocals sound good too, the solos at the end were pretty cool too :D
    However the production's not great, but I've gotten used to that with old death metal.

Now for Scottish Technical Death Metal from Man Must Die

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

I've been meaning to listen to suffocation for a while and am glad I did. I'm a big fan of old school death metal like Cynic and Death but was never really into the more brutal side. I think this is a good song though, all the instruments are done great and the vocals sound good too, the solos at the end were pretty cool too :D
    However the production's not great, but I've gotten used to that with old death metal.

Now for Scottish Technical Death Metal from Man Must Die

Technical Death Metal is very hit or miss with me; some I love (e.g., Necrophagist, Nile), others really just don't do it for me. Seems to be largely a hit in this case, though I have a few niggles with it. Regardless, some deadly stuff going on in that tune, more research is definitely required :D

Think I'll throw in a bit of Darkane here. One of the best "Swedish metal" bands going at the moment yet seem to be horribly under appreciated, at least in my experience. Highly recommend for fans of Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity, (old) In Flames etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

rgt320q wrote:
    Technical Death Metal is very hit or miss with me; some I love (e.g., Necrophagist, Nile), others really just don't do it for me. Seems to be largely a hit in this case, though I have a few niggles with it. Regardless, some deadly stuff going on in that tune, more research is definitely required :D

Think I'll throw in a bit of Darkane here. One of the best "Swedish metal" bands going at the moment yet seem to be horribly under appreciated, at least in my experience. Highly recommend for fans of Hypocrisy, Dark Tranquillity, (old) In Flames etc.

Wow, that is amazing. I'm definitely gonna check that album out. Any other bands you'd recommend with a similar sound? Because that's fantastic.

I don't really know any amazingly obscure bands, so I'll just stick up an Amon Amarth video seen as they're playing here in October.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Wow, that is amazing. I'm definitely gonna check that album out. Any other bands you'd recommend with a similar sound? Because that's fantastic.

I don't really know any amazingly obscure bands, so I'll just stick up an Amon Amarth video seen as they're playing here in October.

"Raise a mound for all to see/ Runes carved to my memory!!" Love Amon Amarth :D

Besides the aforementioned Hypocrisy and Dark Tranquility, you might also want to check out Zonaria. Relatively new band but have some good stuff out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

rgt320q wrote: »
    "Raise a mound for all to see/ Runes carved to my memory!!" Love Amon Amarth

Besides the aforementioned Hypocrisy and Dark Tranquility, you might also want to check out Zonaria. Relatively new band but have some good stuff out.

Pretty damned good, and the guitar sound/tone is also great. It reminds of Hypocrisy back in 1997 and 1999. The keys added some nice atmosphere as well

This is a real class song and it's just a pity that not too many people know about this excellent Nephilim inspired band. The song starts off quite slow but soon builds up to a huge climax with lots of great guitaring and some of the very best drumming in goth rock/alternative rock. It also has one of the best and longest guitar solos that I ever heard. It is not self indulgent or boring in any way, unlike a lot of prog bands who go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Pretty damned good, and the guitar sound/tone is also great. It reminds of Hypocrisy back in 1997 and 1999. The keys added some nice atmosphere as well

This is a real class song and it's just a pity that not too many people know about this excellent Nephilim inspired band. The song starts off quite slow but soon builds up to a huge climax with lots of great guitaring and some of the very best drumming in goth rock/alternative rock. It also has one of the best and longest guitar solos that I ever heard. It is not self indulgent or boring in any way, unlike a lot of prog bands who go on forever.
    Gonna bump this.

It's very slow, a little too slow for my likes. And I'm no speed metal fan by any means. I thought it was actually fairly boring. Lots of wah effects coming from the guitars, and average drumming. The best part of this song was the bass line.

Saw this video on Scuzz today, and immediately liked it.
    Surprised I haven't heard more from this guys. I definately will be in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gith75

Saw this video on Scuzz today, and immediately liked it.
    Surprised I haven't heard more from this guys. I definately will be in the future.
    [/QUOTE]
    Great song. I have their album The Way Of The Fist, that song isn't on it though. I like that type of metal, shouting/screaming and normal singing.

The embed option won't work for me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiZ7Mcc6To&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This is the video gith linked to:

I have to admit I'm a sucker for bands that sound even a little bit like classic Metallica :). As a result, even though I'd never heard of Am I Blood before now I have to admit I really like what I hear.

It reminds me of a more polished Kill 'Em All era Metallica track. There's even a harmonised solo in there near the end!

Continuing the Scandinavian theme, here's a Swedish band called Crucified Barbara:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

like the riffage but when the vocals kicked in reminded me of RATT!!:eek:

Maybe if they got the vocalist from skew siskin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

Wow....cock rock without cock rock's main element. Ah yeah, not really my taste, bit too clean. or something. Indeed.

Check these guys out, unreal. They're fans of silly, lengthy intros so both songs take about a minute to get goin...but **** me it's worth the wait.

Baroness - Isak and Rays on Pinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8bm60f1O0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7En__uQciQ

Wow....cock rock without cock rock's main element. Ah yeah, not really my taste, bit too clean. or something. Indeed.

Check these guys out, unreal. They're fans of silly, lengthy intros so both songs take about a minute to get goin...but **** me it's worth the wait.

ARGH. Bad links!!

Baroness - Isak and Rays on Pinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8bm60f1O0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7En__uQciQ

I love Baroness, The Blue Record is a great record and one of the best sludge albums that I've heard. It's much better than Crack The Skye :p

This is the first that I've heard of the Red Album and I really like it. I should probably pick it up. I love how they can sound really heavy but not necessarily loud or fast. The guitar playing is really good, they know how to write a riff and get the sound that they want across. Brilliant Stuff.

Now for some Deathcore from the lads over at Sumerian Records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I love Baroness, The Blue Record is a great record and one of the best sludge albums that I've heard. It's much better than Crack The Skye :p

This is the first that I've heard of the Red Album and I really like it. I should probably pick it up. I love how they can sound really heavy but not necessarily loud or fast. The guitar playing is really good, they know how to write a riff and get the sound that they want across. Brilliant Stuff.

Now for some Deathcore from the lads over at Sumerian Records.

Really liked the melodies in this, especially the final section which had awesome energy. Had me twiddling my fingers :p

My recommendation, some seasonal metal from Agalloch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Really liked the melodies in this, especially the final section which had awesome energy. Had me twiddling my fingers :p

My recommendation, some seasonal metal from Agalloch

Normally, this style of metal would NOT be my thing at all. But this had that certain je n'cest quoi that made it alluring. The opening riff was so slow, graceful and full of pomp, but was also so powerful it made me listen a lot more. Even the vocals (again usually not my thing) were not totally overconsuming, but contained a certain spark that made me actually enjoy this music a lot more than I thought I would!

This is something I stumbled upon while looking for music from a video game (this band perform the theme music from Max Payne 2) and I found this and I thought it was a great song, but would like other opinions:

DazMarz wrote: »
    Normally, this style of metal would NOT be my thing at all. But this had that certain je n'cest quoi that made it alluring. The opening riff was so slow, graceful and full of pomp, but was also so powerful it made me listen a lot more. Even the vocals (again usually not my thing) were not totally overconsuming, but contained a certain spark that made me actually enjoy this music a lot more than I thought I would!

This is something I stumbled upon while looking for music from a video game (this band perform the theme music from Max Payne 2) and I found this and I thought it was a great song, but would like other opinions:

I liked this one. The vocalist is good, sings rather than roars or screams like metal bands. A simple but catchy riff throughout, with keys underneath it. Kinda thought it had a very small nu metal feel about it, with the keys and all. But it is rock/metal. But thats just me.

I listened to the Max Payne song. Didnt remember it from when I played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

LD 50 wrote: »
    I liked this one. The vocalist is good, sings rather than roars or screams like metal bands. A simple but catchy riff throughout, with keys underneath it. Kinda thought it had a very small nu metal feel about it, with the keys and all. But it is rock/metal. But thats just me.

I listened to the Max Payne song. Didnt remember it from when I played the game.

I was'nt really mad about this, due to the guitar sound or the vocals.

I just spotted an amazing live performance of 'A Succubus in Rapture' by Dimmu Borgir from their amazing 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' album. I never seen them performing this song before, so it was quite a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I was'nt really mad about this, due to the guitar sound or the vocals.

I just spotted an amazing live performance of 'A Succubus in Rapture' by Dimmu Borgir from their amazing 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' album. I never seen them performing this song before, so it was quite a treat.

What a great thread , ive already found two new bands to get into.

Haven't listened to these guys in ages... this track doesnt really do it for me though, takes a while to get into it. I was never the biggest fan though :s

Heres a band:

Gotta love the post metal :D I frickin' love stuff like Isis and Pelican but I've never really given Cult of Luna a proper listen, really great stuff there. Sounds closer to Isis though. The vocals sound really good, and the guitar and drums really drive the song. What album is this from?

Now for a little known band, Enfold Darkness.

Gotta love the post metal :D I frickin' love stuff like Isis and Pelican but I've never really given Cult of Luna a proper listen, really great stuff there. Sounds closer to Isis though. The vocals sound really good, and the guitar and drums really drive the song. What album is this from?

Now for a little known band, Enfold Darkness.

Some cool melodies in that but to be honest, not a lot of originality, which isn't usually a complaint of mine. Also the shrieking vocals really turn me off it; sounds a bit like Dani Filth.

Think I'll post some Ajattara. Been digging these a lot lately. Some nice mid-paced black/doom metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

rgt320q wrote: »
    Some cool melodies in that but to be honest, not a lot of originality, which isn't usually a complaint of mine. Also the shrieking vocals really turn me off it; sounds a bit like Dani Filth.

Think I'll post some Ajattara. Been digging these a lot lately. Some nice mid-paced black/doom metal.

Will admit that I feared the worst when seeing it'd be black/doom metal...but this was the complete opposite. Nothing over the top ludicrous, very nice feel to the song. Will check out more of their stuff and hope for nothing I don't like in majority of music like that. Vocals will take some getting used to however.

A band I've just been turned onto now. Hope ye enjoy?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Opinions? They are a band I started listening to about a year ago or so, can't remember how I heard of them, prob just by chance, but I love them

Bumping this thread because it was a good idea.

Sorry Denny but that video's not working. :pac:

So here's some Technical Death Metal from The Faceless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Damn violation crap >_<

I'll put this up till it violates something or other :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Bumping this thread because it was a good idea.

Sorry Denny but that video's not working. :pac:

So here's some Technical Death Metal from The Faceless.

that was ****in face pounding! havent listened to stuff like that in a little bit, but it reminded of one of my favourite death bands

suffocation!!

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    that was ****in face pounding! havent listened to stuff like that in a little bit, but it reminded of one of my favourite death bands

suffocation!!

Fuck yeah, Suffocation! Saw them when they played Fibbers back in '08 - the most intense gig I've ever seen. Can't wait to see them in Whelan's at the end of the month. Sound blokes too.

Think I'll throw in another seminal death metal band who'll be playing here soon. Classic, crushing British death metal.

Never actually heard Bolt Thrower but it sounded pretty good. Not something I might listen to very often, but I'll give the band a proper listen before I shun them completely. Overall, good death metal.

Now for Capharnaum, the technical death metal band founded by Jason Suecof, famous for producing Trivium, Whitechapel and The Black Dahlia Murder, although this is somewhat more "trve" than the bands he produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I freely admit I'm not much of a fan of technical death metal band but I thought I'd give this a listen anyway. First impressions are that the overall mix is very muddy. The drums in particular sound like they were recorded through a closed door or something.

Thankfully the song isn't at a ridiculously fast tempo so the various guitar riffs can be listened to and even hummed!

There are some guitar riffs that I liked in there e.g. at 1:06 and 2:18.

I also liked the choir part at 3:20. It provided an interesting counterpoint to the frenetic guitar playing that was going on at the same time.

Here is some Threat Signal:

Advertisement