Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 up to date tourney stats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dhalsim seems to be 12th out of 17. Mid table obscurity ftw! :D

Also, not surprising to me is the Blanka and Dictator charts. Under rated characters and I could never understand how people viewed them as low tier.....ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I would've thought they at any stage by credible people were regarded as mid tier at worst - I'd put them both at mid-high personally and the information seems to back that up. I do agree that at some point they were underrated though - not sure how many people think that about either of them anymore though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well, I suppose the fact that we have good bisons and blankas in our group would colour my judgement a little. But even online randoms have floored me from time to time with their skill with those characters.

Charts and tiers are relvant but ultimately it comes down to players with a well balanced game like sf4. Any time I feel like Dhalsim is letting me down, I just look at an Iyo video and remind myself how it can be done if played well. Makes me feel better as I know it's me fecking up and not the character :p

cool chart tho.

Yeah, but the main fact is the characters at the top are the characters with useful ultra setups in general - it's very balanced character-wise but I feel like they need to look at the ultra system in general in order to bring characters like Sagat into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I noticed that Super Nohoho Fighter II X didn't include our Inferno RanBat in the international results :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

so theres no point maining unlockable characters, as you might go to japan some day for a fierce competition and realize you cant use them, :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I would have expected akuma to be higher. Id say this time next year that list will look a lot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

^ agreed, people are really figuring how to use him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think he is too much of a high risk character. He's got a whole heap of tools at his disposal and a great zoning game and high damage combos. His problem is if you make one mistake or the opponent gets in on you, you are in for a world of hurt. I've seen in tournaments people getting in on Akuma players and doing a combo that takes half his health off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Interesting chart but you need a lot more information to take anything away from that chart. Having said that the blog is really informative and generally an interesting read.

I reckon that in the next year we will Akuma wins on the rise and Blanka wins on the drop. But as Kirby said this is a well-balanced game and I don't think there is any characters that automatically shut out another. Look at the Ranbats where Kiki nearly won the Abel Gief match, which is one of the worst in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This chart doesn't mean that much tbh. It just highlights which character is being picked the most in tournaments, not how much they are losing.

Akuma having a score of 18 could mean that only 18 people picked him, but they all won their matches, as it doesn't count repeats who knows how many times an individual player with Akuma won a match.

In fact, this chart directly from the blog shows Boxer and Akuma having an almost equal winning percentage

Sagat having such a high number is what's worrying. It means a lot of people are still picking him for tournaments. There should be a soft ban on him. Against any half way decent Sagat it's an uphill battle for pretty much every character. Imagine how interesting the tournament from 2 weeks ago would of been if 50% of the people there mained Sagat.

EDIT: It might help pointing out that the Y Axis in the graph from the link in the OP is "People" and not "Percentage"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sagat still isn't O.Sagat-level.

HMUYA wrote: »
    I don't think there is any characters that automatically shut out another. Look at the Ranbats where Kiki nearly won the Abel Gief match, which is one of the worst in the game.

Seth vs Gief

Also there's no point judging balance at our level of play really, especially from the outcome of 3 rounds!

edit: Also @ Placebo, presumably the console characters will be in the next SF4 arcade iteration

His defense game is great imo, which is one of the reasons he's so awesome in SF4 which is heavily skewed towards defense - he only has less HP than Gief and Rufus, neither of whom have the defensive options he has (awesome fireball game mainly, but also safe tiger knee, st. rh and f. rh, etc.) - both of whom he has advantage matchups against partially because of this, and ties 2nd with Honda in highest stun required before you dizzy him. He's obviously extremely slow, but this doesn't matter all that much when you're as ridiculous a fortress as he is imo. :pac:

I definitely agree with you about character selection, Ropedrink - I picked Gief because I enjoyed how he played in SF4 the day I picked up the game, having planned before that to main Guile who I play in Super Turbo. It's the only game that I happen to play a high-top tier character in (picking up Remy in 3S hasn't helped that much), but in all three games I play characters I find fun. If I were trying to play seriously in terms of winning tournaments, though, I'd definitely learn Sagat.

Advertisement