Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persuading someone ELSE to STOP

Options
  • 31-08-2009 7:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I know I know you can't make anyone else do anything, but my boyfriend smokes and I hate it. The smell... the inconvienience of it..the list goes on. The frustrating thing is he says he does it when he's bored..which to me seems to be a bit of a cop out because he will be doing something, then stop to have a ciggarette. The funny thing is he seems to be able to control his habit in relation to price as because we are living in Italy, they are much cheaper than Ireland but when we go home (to Ireland) he will go without rather than pay €9.00 or whatever it is.

Anyway is there anything I can do to get around him ...because if price can stop him doing it, what else will?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RFL09

Hi,

I'm afraid there is not much you can do to make him give up smoking. The more you give out to him for smoking the more he will smoke.
    He has got to want to give them up.
    I gave up 6 years ago and it is the best thing I ever did- I had to quit for health readons.

Is there anyway or anybody that can change his thinking to make him want to give up ?

Hope that was useful

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

It's very, very difficult to convince someone to give up, I don't think anyone could have convinced me, it was very much a personal choice. Nagging someone to stop can often have the opposite effect, especially if they are in amyway stubborn over things. I think your best bet is to make your boyfriend fully aware how big an issue it is for you and that you would like him to give up, but do so in a very non-confrontational way. Also let him know that you will fully support him in this, and possibly offer him litte rewards if he does make the effort (I'm sure you can think of something he might enjoy :D). But leave it at that, don't continually make reference to his smoking or nag him about it.

Advertisement