Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A simple question about PG fees...

Options
  • 31-08-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Something thats been bugging me recently about tuition fees for postgrads.
    Do postgrads have to pay the college registration fee i.e the thousand odd euro or a student levy in addition to the tuition fee for the coure? Or is the tuition fee all in inclusive???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

In Trinity anyway you don't. Its whatever the fees are, say 5 odd grand, plus the sports centre charge and the USI charge which come to about 80 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

In UCD you don't have to pay the registration fee, but you still have to pay the 150 for the student centre... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

convert wrote: »
    In UCD you don't have to pay the registration fee, but you still have to pay the 150 for the student centre... :(
    I just paid my fees for the year for a taught masters in UCD and the student centre levy (78.75) is showing as being included in the fee that was listed for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Looks like you have to pay the 1,500 euro capitation fee in DIT. Grrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KatieDot

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i just got my letter from dit explaining the i have to pay the 1500 extra! so stressed because ive wroked all summer to have the money for the 5400 fee, and just made it. now im really worried that i just cant pay!although i will work while i study, after tax that extra 1500 is over two months work. Also, Im under 23 so wont qualify for the grant because they will insist on means testing my parents but I cant ask them because, cut a long story short, like everyone else, they just dont have it. Ill find a way but...well, just wanted to rant. with no warning the extra money has come as a huge shock! :mad:

I know ill just have to find a way but has anyone got any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

KatieDot wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i just got my letter from dit explaining the i have to pay the 1500 extra! so stressed because ive wroked all summer to have the money for the 5400 fee, and just made it. now im really worried that i just cant pay!although i will work while i study, after tax that extra 1500 is over two months work. Also, Im under 23 so wont qualify for the grant because they will insist on means testing my parents but I cant ask them because, cut a long story short, like everyone else, they just dont have it. Ill find a way but...well, just wanted to rant. with no warning the extra money has come as a huge shock! :mad:

I know ill just have to find a way but has anyone got any suggestions?
    Its annoying alright. I'm in the same boat but was expecting to pay about 7 grand anyway. You do know you can claim tax credits against the fees. Should be good for about a grand anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Anyone know if you have to pay the registration fee of €1500 odd in UCC alongside the course fees??? Also someone mentioned claiming tax credits against it.......how would you go about doing that??
    (Spending all this money to go back to college is sickening :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

Also someone mentioned claiming tax credits against it.......how would you go about doing that??

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/tax-relief-for-third-level-fees
    Information

You may be able to claim tax relief on tuition fees paid for:
    • Undergraduate courses
    • Postgraduate courses
    • Information technology (IT) and foreign language courses.
    You can claim tax relief as long as you have actually paid the fees, either on your own behalf or on behalf of another person.
    You cannot claim tax relief on:
    • Registration, examination or administration fees
    • Any part of the tuition fees that are met directly or indirectly by a grant, a scholarship or otherwise, e.g., where fees are re-imbursed by an employer.
    Rules

Postgraduate courses

Tax relief is available for tuition fees paid for:
    • Approved postgraduate courses in private and publicly funded colleges in the state
    • Postgraduate courses in a university or publicly funded college in another EU Member State, including such colleges that provide distance education in the state
    • Postgraduate courses in a university or publicly funded third-level college in non-EU countries.
    Conditions for granting tax relief for postgraduate courses

• Courses must be for at least one academic year but not more than four academic years in duration and must lead to a postgraduate award based on either a thesis or an examination.
    • The person taking the course must already have a primary degree or an equivalent qualification.
    Rates of tax relief

Tax relief is given at the standard rate. You can only claim for one course for any individual in any tax year. There is no limit on the number of individuals for whom you can claim.
    Undergraduate and postgraduate courses
    The maximum amount of qualifying fees allowable under the tax relief scheme is €5,000.

How to apply

Request a copy of Revenue information leaflet IT 31 Tax Relief for Tuition Fees from your local tax office.
    Complete the application form attached and return it with a receipt for fees paid, to your local tax office. If you are in employment and are claiming tax relief on fees paid during the last tax year, you will have to send a copy of your most recent P60 with your application.
    Lists of approved colleges and courses for 2008/2009 and approved courses in 2009/2010 are available on the Revenue website. The list is also available from any tax office.
    Further information on tax relief on third level fees is available from your local tax office.

Advertisement