Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

explain a saying

Options
  • 31-08-2009 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

the you want it to change the more it stays the same :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

this from a book?

I would imagine it means that the more you wish for something to be different, the more you are aware that it hasnt changed. if you really dont care about say, the colour of toothpaste, then you wont notice that it never changes but, if you fervently wished that toothpaste would someday be luminescent orange then you'll notice every time that you squeeze the tube that its still plain old white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

It could be applied to a political situation, e.g. a great social revolution replaces a corrupt, exploitative elite... with another corrupt, exploitative elite

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"
    994 wrote: »
    It could be applied to a political situation, e.g. a great social revolution replaces a corrupt, exploitative elite... with another corrupt, exploitative elite

Yeah, I always took it in that context as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Isn't it: "The more things change, the more they stay the same"?

And I think 994's example is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if its "the more things change" then yes, the plolitical version is the more likely (and more sensible) explaination. wouldnt fit the OPs quote though which I havent heard before. (which is why I asked for a reference so we could get some context)

• Advertisement
Advertisement