Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Sligo with my job....

Options
  • 31-08-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm a civil servant ( please dont give me abuse!!) and I was thinking about maybe relocating to sligo for two years with my job...Ive been living in Dublin for the last 14 years and know no-one in sligo so I'm not sure if the move is a good idea or not....It would be a Department move and a house move!

Has anyone else relocated from Dublin to Sligo and if so how are you getting on? I heard that Sligo is great craic anfd the peole are very friendly. I supposed what I am asking is if you had your chance back would you have moved there? Also will be moving on my own and don't know anyone! Think i would like to live in Strandhill, but not sure if it would be lonely! As you can see im terrible at making decisions!!
    Any feedback very much appreciated! Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hello,

I'm born and bred in Sligo and I love it here.
    Strandhill is a fantastic spot.
    What are your interests?
    There is tonnes to do here;
    Walking, Mountaineering, Surfing, Horseriding, Loads of beaches, so-so night life.
    Can I ask where you are moving to in terms of Work?
    Is it the Dept Family and Social affairs?
    I only ask because there are a load of people working there and you should make new friends quickly.

feel free to PM me should you have any other queries or post them here.
    I'm sure the others will be along to advise shortly!

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

We do love it here but really miss the city. I moved here with my wife 4 years ago. We do city breaks to city's to help us get over it a bit. And internet shopping keeps us sane too.

If we could pick up where we live and put it a hou away from a city we would be very very happy. People are great around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi Trishis

I'm not from Sligo either, been here about 7 years now, and still happy with the move.

Strandhill is lovely and still very close to town. As Gillie says (and do pm him if you need any info, he's a gent!), the Pensions office has a large staff and seem like a sociable lot. I last went out in 1956 so no idea about the night life. :p

Good luck with your decision, and any questions, one of us here will be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Spent 10 years in Dublin, and hate the sight of it now....you'll never look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I couldn't cope with living in Dublin. Did it for a bit and it drove me potty.

Then again, different strokes for different folks.

I live in Ballymote and work just south of Sligo, it is 11 miles and takes me 15 min at 8 in the morning. Not one set of lights or speed bumps to contend with.

There is some fantastic scenery up here and if you don't mind a ramble some of the mountain views are breath taking.

Night life is ok, I'm bored with it now but then again I have been seeing the same faces for last 14 yrs or so!

Best of luck with the move if you go through with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

if you have the oppurtunity take it, you will never know till you try, grew up in strandhill, moved a couple of miles away from it, dont worry about making friends, as someone mentioned if going to dept should have no problem and as for strandhill something wrong if you havent made friends within 24hours. just say hi!

good luck with whatever you do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    if you have the oppurtunity take it, you will never know till you try, grew up in strandhill, moved a couple of miles away from it, dont worry about making friends, as someone mentioned if going to dept should have no problem and as for strandhill something wrong if you havent made friends within 24hours. just say hi!

good luck with whatever you do

Strandhill is beautifull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

hey folks,

Thanks a million for all the advice, really appreciate it, I have to make my decision today and I'm still not 100%. Sometimes you have to just bite the bullet though dont you! I do love Dublin and have no problem living here, I just think that the quality of life might be better in Sligo, rent is cheaper, commute to work will be shorter and it might be nice to live in a friendly community. Dublin isnt famous for its friendliness!!

Anyway thansk fro all the advice and thanks for taking the time out to reply to me, maybe i'll see y'all in Sligo for one soon! Oh actually, I also have a disabliity, as in I have to use a crutch to get around and have difficulty with stairs...so my question....are the pubs/ building sin sligo accessible? is the town easy to get around? good shopping centre too?!:D Thats the most important!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Can't you delay making the decision, and come and visit for a day or two before? :eek: Your brave!

Some of the paths in town are old and narrow, but I think most are okay, maybe someone else who has experience of this would know better. There are two new shopping centres which would be fully accessible. There is a Dunnes and Tesco that both have lifts.

Plenty of shopping but obviously not the same choices as in Dublin.

Let us know what you decide. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I lived in Dublin for 5 years and I would never go back, I even dislike having to go up to visit relations or going to the airport. Your pretty much always gauranteed to be stuck in traffic and it's so much hassle getting around by car.

I really enjoy living in Sligo, the scenery is great and there is actually plenty of things to do but when you have been living here 15 years or so you wont think so.

Most of the pubs in Sligo are very accessible, I know Shenanigans has a lift, but the Belfry isn't very accessible, obviously you could stay on the ground floor instead of going up and down the stairs but it's not nice to be limited to one area.

Let us know how your decision and how you get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement