Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software similar to Dreamweaver MX 2004

• 31-08-2009 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Hi,

I've been looking at a website that a friend of mine manages, as his web designer has recently left him somewhat in the lurch. Basically, he needs to be able to update pages and upload new articles, very simple stuff. The site has no CMS, and all the pages are static html. It would be a full job to rebuild it using a CMS (either proprietary, or a commonly available one) so that's not what I'm after.

Because he doesn't really know that much about code, and because some of the code is fairly complex, I was thinking that the best solution (short term) for him would be to get a copy of Dreamweaver (or similar) that would allow him to sync to the webserver. That way he could edit pages in the WYSIWYG editor, and upload to the server, without too much trouble. He could copy/paste existing pages rather than trying to decode the mess himself.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any free software that roughly matches those Dreamweaver functionalities (WYSIWYG editing, server sync) before I recommend that to him? I don't use those editors myself when coding, so my knowledge of them is a little limited.

Thanks.

Comments

• Kila wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been looking at a website that a friend of mine manages, as his web designer has recently left him somewhat in the lurch. Basically, he needs to be able to update pages and upload new articles, very simple stuff. The site has no CMS, and all the pages are static html. It would be a full job to rebuild it using a CMS (either proprietary, or a commonly available one) so that's not what I'm after.

Because he doesn't really know that much about code, and because some of the code is fairly complex, I was thinking that the best solution (short term) for him would be to get a copy of Dreamweaver (or similar) that would allow him to sync to the webserver. That way he could edit pages in the WYSIWYG editor, and upload to the server, without too much trouble. He could copy/paste existing pages rather than trying to decode the mess himself.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any free software that roughly matches those Dreamweaver functionalities (WYSIWYG editing, server sync) before I recommend that to him? I don't use those editors myself when coding, so my knowledge of them is a little limited.

Thanks.

I can't vouch for any of these, but here you go:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

Scroll down a bit to see them. Or you could just acquire Dreamweaver online, for free? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I'll look and see if any of them fit the bill. Re: acquiring it for free, I'm sure the guy is more than capable of doing so, as is anyone really, but I'd like to offer him a few alternatives, rather than just one piece of software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

Hi Kila,

Another solution for editing the existing content (not adding new pages) would be to use a service like http://www.cushycms.com.

This is quick to retrofit to sites as you just put a certain css class on parts of the page you want to make editable. Then client logs in to Cushy and just sees a very simple form to update these parts - very user friendly.

To be honest, even if you could get hold of Dreamweaver or similar software, your client could very easily mess things up otherwise. Wysiwyg editors like that can still mess things up, and Dreamweaver has a lot of functionality in it.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Actually, that could really work. I'll have a look at it and see how much work it would be to retrofit his site with it, but if the blurbs are true, then it will hopefully be a quick job. As he only needs to update some bits, this could be a fairly ideal quick solution.

Thanks for the link!

Advertisement