Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grid/list standards

Options
  • 31-08-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what other people do in the following circumstances. You have a grid that goes on for say 10 pages and you can sort by any column, for example 'date'. You can also filter the results.

1. You load the grid, and go to page 6. Now you change order to 'date'. Should the grid stay on page 6, revert to page 1 or do something else?

2. You load the grid, change the order to 'date' and go to page 4. Now you add a record (through a different page). When you come back to the grid, should the order still be 'date'? Should the page still be 4 or should it revert to page 1 again?

3. You load the grid, go to page 3 and then filter the results so that >3 pages are visible. Stay on page 3 or revert? What if <3 pages are visible?

Is there any standard for this? So far, I've been reverting to page 1 when I change the filter, the order or the result set in any way. However I keep the order throughout.

Quick supplemental question: when I click on a column heading to order it, is there a recommended direction in which it should sort first, ascending or descending?

(Note that I'm doing this all manually using query parameters, no jquery or dotnet "magic" going on here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what other people do in the following circumstances. You have a grid that goes on for say 10 pages and you can sort by any column, for example 'date'. You can also filter the results.

1. You load the grid, and go to page 6. Now you change order to 'date'. Should the grid stay on page 6, revert to page 1 or do something else?

usually revert to page 1 as you have reorder everything.

2. You load the grid, change the order to 'date' and go to page 4. Now you add a record (through a different page). When you come back to the grid, should the order still be 'date'? Should the page still be 4 or should it revert to page 1 again?

depends on how you are returning to the page. and how likely it is for the person to return. if it is high then probably store where they left the page and return them to this point. extra work thou.

3. You load the grid, go to page 3 and then filter the results so that >3 pages are visible. Stay on page 3 or revert? What if <3 pages are visible?

if you filter the results its a complete refresh. go back to page 1. you cant guarantee the order wont change every time depending on your filter so you are better off going back to page 1.

Is there any standard for this? So far, I've been reverting to page 1 when I change the filter, the order or the result set in any way. However I keep the order throughout.

Quick supplemental question: when I click on a column heading to order it, is there a recommended direction in which it should sort first, ascending or descending?

depends on the data type. words descending a-z. currency descending highest to lowest. date depends on its use. creation date first to last or last updated descending..

(Note that I'm doing this all manually using query parameters, no jquery or dotnet "magic" going on here)

see above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

nialo wrote: »
    see above

Just on the adding a new record, the process is that you're viewing the grid, you press a button to add. A new page is opened with the open form and when that form is submitted, assuming it's valid, the grid page is automatically reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

then i would go to the page that that record is on. usually the last or first page depending on the ordering..

Advertisement