Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options
  • 31-08-2009 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey i thought that i would start this thread for people who have actually purchased an n97 and want to discusss

problems
    themes
    apps
    and features

as opposed to the other n97 thread which seems more concerned with what networks its available on and issues with purchasing the device

5800 owners also welcome as many apps will be transferable

nokia-n97.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

This list was copied from
    http://s60blog.com/2009/08/10-killer-free-nokia-n97-applications-download/

1. Facebook
    Facebook ® for Nokia S60 Touch lets you keep up with your friends right at your fingertips. Update your status, see what your friends are up to, upload photos, check messages and lookup phone numbers when you need them anytime and anywhere. Facebook allows you to comment on your friend’s statuses, RSVP to event invites and confirm or deny friend requests. The Facebook for Nokia S60 brings Facebook directly to your phone If Facebook is not available for your device, please check Ovi Store.
    c0578878650e4a6d9b7da57767259357.jpg
    Download Here

2. Qik
    1da7b96a517b4854baf9dc4eac61e836.png
    Qik enables you to share your moments live with your friends, family and the world—right from your mobile phone! Qik’s focus is on developing the perfect mobile video platform, providing the highest quality of live video experience across all devices and networks. We are in constant pursuit of innovation and work on the basis that the limitations of existing models are there to be surpassed.
    Download Here

3. Nokia Sportstracker
    3758964914_674fdaa8bf_m.jpg
    Nokia Sports Tracker is a GPS-based activity tracker that runs on compatible Nokia mobile devices. Information such as speed, distance, and time are automatically stored in your training diary. On this site you can store and share your workouts and routes.
    Download Here

4. Nokia Photo Browser
    FaceBrowsingWhiteBg.JPG
    Nokia Photo Browser is an experimental photo browser that makes your viewing experience quick and fun:
    • Pleasing visual effects
    • Intuitive touch UI
    • Magnifying glass
    • Face browsing
    Download Here

5. Reuters
    home-n97.jpg
    The Reuters slideshow is pre-installed on all Nokia’s flagship N97 phones and was a widget highlight at Mobile World Congress 2009.
    Download Here
    6. AccuWeather
    Accuweather-N97-N5800.jpg
    Accuweather is a very handy widget which provides users with weather information, this apps compatible for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia N97, Accuweather offers current conditions and severe weather risk for the next 6 hours, rain and snow totals for the next 5 days, temperature and sky conditions for the next 15 hours; 10 days and nights of forecasts; 15 hours of hourly forecast information; a 15-day forecast, high temperature, 9 stored locations, low temperature, daytime high wind speed; and radar (U.S. locations only) or satellite map centered on your location with 5 levels of zoom
    Download Here

7. Ovi Maps*
    maps3dot0_download_238x135.jpg
    Ovi Maps is always with you on your mobile. Take free maps worldwide, explore places you need nearby, and let Maps show you the way. On foot or in the car, Maps can direct you to your destination turn-by-turn, starting from right where you are.
    Download Here

8. TweetS60
    5800_tweet_list.png
    Tweets60 is a free twitter client for Series 60 device
    Features

• Post directly from your phone
    • Faster and more efficient than the mobile site
    • Smart synchronisation to keep your data usage to a minimum
    • Keep up to date with automatic polling
    • Manage who you’re following on the go
    Download Here

9. Y-Browser
    y+bowser.jpg
    Y-Browser is a free filemanager application designed for S60 3rd edition Symbian smartphones. All testing is done with Nokia S60 devices only, but it should work as well with other manufacturers S60 smartphones.
    Currently Y-Browser only supports 3rd and 5th edition S60 mobile phones. This version is touch enabled, but not yet touch optimized.
    Download Here

10. Nokia Messaging
    ispIcons.png
    Nokia Messaging makes mobile email easy and mobilizes consumer email across a range of Nokia S60 devices. Nokia Messaging enables users to quickly set up, access, and use their email on their Nokia devices through a service that is optimized for mobile email.
    Download Here

10. Paint Pad
    nokia-n97-photoshop-300x218.gif

Paint Pad is a pretty cool application, I think of it like a Microsoft Paint for Nokia touch screen devices like the N97 and 5800. The cool thing about this art app is that there are many tools and options, you can create a lot of cool graphics with all the tools that this app has. But the coolest feature is that you can open a picture previously taken with the 5800 and then edit is as you want, you know, maybe add a mustache to a friend or scrars etc… This app is lots of fun, and with the stylus the 5800 brings it is even better. Totally free to download here: paint-pad. Via: NokNok

9. TicTacToe
    tictactoe-150x150.png

A classical free game for the Nokia N97 and 5800, it is a very cool game with a very good looking interface. It is a game for two people, and that is what makes it special. You can lay your device on the table and start playing with a friend TicTacToe! It will recognize who won the match, if x’s or o’s. Simple but brilliant at the same time, you can download the game here for free: PixelBeats

8. Fring
    fring-logo-300x270.jpg

Fring is probably the most feature rich application for mobile devices, it lets you communicate in many ways, it is almost like a communication center. Here are some of the services that Fring lets you use: Make and receive Skype calls, MSN Messenger, A1overIP, ICQ, SIP, Google Talk, Twitter, Yahoo Chat, AIM Chat, Orkut, Yandex Mail, WE-FI, Facebook and Last FM. Pretty impressive don’t you think? Over 15 services available from a single good looking and user friendly app. You can get Fring totally free here: Fring

7.Split The Bill
    splitthebill-150x150.png

Another very good looking and useful application from Pixels Beat Paper. This free app for the Nokia N97 and 5800 is very useful when going out to eat at some restaurant, it lets you split the bill easily and get the tip also. Basically you insert the total amount due, then the number of people. The calculator will do the complicated college level math and give you the total amount that each person has to pay, everything from a good looking application. You can download it here: PixelBeats. Via: Symbian-Guru

6. PhoneTorch
    flashlight-nokia-5800-300x207.png

An awesome application that enables a feature that was impossible to have on S60 3rd Ed devices. With this application you can use the Flash of your Nokia 5800 as a Flashlight, extremely useful in the dark, or when camping or entering late in the cinema. PhoneTorch just converts your 5800 into a flashlight for free! It also lets you choose between the red and white light of the flash. And in case you get lost in an island or something, this app lets you transmit morse code, you just write the message and the app will send it in morse with the flashlight, pretty cool! You can download it here: http://dev.meh.at/
    5.Mobbler
    last-fm_audioscrobbler_logo-150x150.jpg

Mobbler is a really cool application for the Nokia N97 and 5800, it lets you connect to your LAST.FM library from your device and hear your playlist and scrobble music directly from your device. It also lets you search for artist and it will then let you hear music from that artist and other similar artist, the cool thing about this app is that you get to know a lot of new music that you did not know. First, you need to sign up for LAST.FM here: SignUp and then you have to install Mobbler on your device, you can get it here: Mobbler

4. Dabr
    juan-48x48.pngDabr is not an application, is more of a web service for mobile devices. It is a Twitter client for Nokia phones, so you can do a lot of things on Dabr that you can’t do on Twitter. For example, you can favorite Tweets, post pictures and private message someone as well as search, ReTweet and see followers. It is Mobile Twitter on Steroids according to its creator. To use Dabr just go to Dabr.co.uk on your mobile device.
    3.Google Maps
    google-maps-logo-150x83.jpg

Google Maps is a must have on every S60 device, its functionality is just amazing and is a very useful application as long as you have unlimited internet. With google maps you can search for anything and then get direction to reach that place in the shortest time available. Google maps uses the internal GPS of the N97 and 5800, so you can know where you are exactly at every time. Another cool feature of google maps is that you can view detailed information of the place you are going, such as openinng hours and the phone number that is automatically dialed when the green key is pressed. To download google maps just go here: GMaps

2. Photo Browser

Photo Browser is an application created by the Nokia Beta Labs Team it is a really cool application that lets you browse your photos in a very cool and useful way. The photo browser has an amazing interface that even makes iPhone users jealous, when I show off my Nokia 5800, photo browser is the first application I always open to impress everyone. Photo Browser is hard to describe, so better watch this video! You can download it here: PhotoBrowser

1. Nokia Messaging
    The number one application for the Nokia 5800 is Nokia Messaging, with this wonderful application you will get the best E-Mail experience on your Nokia N97 or Nokia 5800. It is as complete as a desktop email client and completely replaces the built-in email client on the 5800. Nokia Messaging allows you to see and use every function of your email account, like sent items, a specific archive etc… Nokia Messaging also supports hotmail, which was unsupported by Nokia devices for many years. To install Nokia Messaging just go here: Nokia Messaging make sure to read all the instructions because its a little bit tricky to install.

THis would probably be worth getting in the same way as installing leopard and vista on your laptop, is some apple fanboy gets annoying just say i can use mine as an iphone if i want lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Got mine yesterday. Still playing with it.

One app that's dead useful is Converter Touch (free)
    http://store.ovi.com/content/710CFC6DAF39E149E040050A873241A5?clickSource=search

The old Nokias used to come with a similar app.

Another is Level Touch (free). Turn your really expensive phone into a €2 spirit level :D But it's handy.
    http://store.ovi.com/content/6E48B6D01988F915E040050A85323E71?clickSource=related%2Bcontent

The media player is fine but if anybody can recommend a better version then fire away. I had a phone about 5 years ago that I could just copy divx files to and play away. Now most phones and portable players need you to convert the file before copying over. That's annoying. Normally I want to stick on a movie as a last minute job before running out the door. If I've to sit looking at a conversion bar the chance are it won't be copied.

There's an app called CorePlayer (under development) which is worth watching but it won't be free when it's released. Free is better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Anybody know how to make a Shortcut so that I can push an application to the Home page.

I would like to have Gmail and Mail for Exchange on the Home page in seperate tabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Anybody know how to make a Shortcut so that I can push an application to the Home page.

I would like to have Gmail and Mail for Exchange on the Home page in seperate tabs

On home page-> option->edit content-> then click on the shorcut bar you have and hold you fingre for 1 second and click on setting then you can add what ever app you want.

real time push won't be possible as this app are not widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would like to have Gmail and Mail for Exchange on the Home page in separate tabs

You can have applications yes using the 'shortcut' widget. You can set the email widget also, so you can have live email on screen for one the accounts. Need more info on how to do it, let me know

Couple more apps.

Shazam - hold your phone up to the radio or TV and it'll tell you what song is playing. Free to try until Nov 30th.

http://store.ovi.com/content/71297C6100F28706E040050A85320443?clickSource=search

Opera Mini

Does the same as the built in web browser but seems easier to use and less annoying (to me anyway).
    http://www.opera.com/mini/

anyone try these screen covers???
    they look very impressive
    $14.99 for the csreen
    $24.99 for the whole body
    use the promotion code "youmobile" for a 20% discount on zagg

Had a look at this website, cant verify some of these things but though ye might wanna see them

THE DETECTIVE TRICK (Mobile Spying)

Now you can spy on anyone using your [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]cellphone[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Just do the following.

1. Activate the "Automatic Answer" in the headset profile of your cellphone and set the ringing volume to "Mute"
    2. Short-circuit the left middle and right pins on the bottom of the [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]mobile [COLOR=#009600 ! important]phone[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] with all connections touching each other this will activate profile "Headset".
    If you cant do this just keep your earphone connected to mobile.
    3. Now place it under a table in a room and call it. Now you can use your phone for checking out what people are talking about in a room. Just call on your phone.
    4. The phone receives the call without ringing and you can listen to what people are saying.

SECRET PRANK
    Change closed caller group (settings >security settings>user groups) to 00000 and your phone will sound the message tone when you are near a radar speed trap.
    Setting it to 500 will cause your phone 2 set off security alarms at shop exits.
    Try this secret trick if you can handle the unexpected.
    Note: This secret trick wont work with all phones Models

To check Nokia mobile or cellphones IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity)
    On the main screen type *#06#

Information you get from the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity)
    XXXXXX XX XXXXXX X
    TAC FAC SNR SP

TAC = Type approval code of your nokia Mobile
    FAC = Final assembly code of your cellphone
    SNR = Serial number of your nokia Phone
    SP = Spare

Other secret tricks for Nokia mobile or cellphone
    To check the phones [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]Software[/COLOR][/COLOR] revision for Nokia Mobile.
    On the main screen type *#0000#

To enter in the secret menu in Nokia Phone.
    On the main screen type *#92702689# [*#war0anty#]
    It will take you to a secret menu where you may find some of the information below:
    1. Displays Serial Number.
    2. Displays the Month and Year of Manufacture
    3. Displays (if there) the date where the phone was purchased (MMYY)
    4. Displays the date of the last repair - if found (0000)
    5. Shows life timer of phone (time passes since last start)

To restore Factory Settings for Nokia mobile
    *#7780# reset to factory settings.

Taking picture without getting noticed.
    Turn on/off the "click" sound made by the camera by selecting the 'Silent' profile or by turning warning tones on/off.

Hiding your Mobile/ Cellphone Number
    Go to: Menu > Tools > Settings > Call > Send My Caller ID >
    'Yes', 'No' or 'Set By Network' to follow the default settings of your home network.
    It works only with very few network who provide you facility of “Private Number”

Speed Dialing From Simcard contact (not stored in mobile phonebook)
    Type number followed by # then call.
    Example: 1# or 2# or 21#

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

one problem I have found is with the Facebook app.

Loads up fine - but when I try and view, say my "Inbox", I get an "incorrect signature" - which isnt telling me a whole lot about what the problem is and if I can fix it

Anyone else come across this issue?

havent come accross that prob myslef, have you got all the ;atest updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

voteforlee wrote: »
    some apple fanboy gets annoying just say i can use mine as an iphone if i want lol

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

havent come accross that prob myslef, have you got all the ;atest updates?

I thought I had - downloaded from the Ovi store - or should I download from elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    :eek:

Well I like the apple home screen thing, but I think the ideal solution for the N97 would be to have the transition effects on, and that when you swipe left or right, that there is a second menu that you can configure, instead of just a blank screen. Anyone seen this kind of functionality in an app or mod?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Here's a touch-optimized version of putty for symbian:

http://bd.kicks-ass.net/koodaus/putty/

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Hi. I have the N97 up and running but the Ovi Store App does nothing. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

got mine yesterday , not really into it been honest

give it time, when u get more used to it you'll like it a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anyone know how to hack dem ??

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to hack dem ??

A bit of a hack.
    If you want to unbrand your phone.

Have a look at
    http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

The gist is

1: Have Nokia Software Updater installed. Connect your phone. Close all Nokia apps from the tray near the clock at the bottom of the screen.
    2: Run the NSS software and scan your phone.
    3: Put in code 0570817 for the European BLACK phone. The different colour phones seem to have different codes. I don't know what would happen if you put a code in for a white one into a black one. If you've a different colour phone make sure you're using the correct phone.
    4: Now when you run the Nokia Software Updater you can upgrade to the latest available firmware.
    5: When you reboot after the firmware update you have to do a hard reset (hold shift, space, delete & On). That step nearly gave me a heart attack. I didn't know the hard reset was needed and the screen was just flashing at me after I did the firmware update. There was five minutes of me thinking I'd a lovely expensive Nokia brick.

This allowed me to upgrade two O2 N97 Blacks from V10 to V12. I think (although this could just be in my head) that V12 is faster than V10. Seems to be less niggles anyway. There's a big new firmware out next month that adds kinetic scrolling amongst other updates.
    This update removes the O2 softkey at the bottom right of the screen and changes it to Contacts. That's more useful in my opinion.

DISCLAIMERS:
    1: I don't know how dodgy this is. If you brick your phone don't blame me.
    2: This will wipe your phone. Back up your numbers to SIM or somewhere safe.
    3: I don't know if this invalidates warranty. I presume not but quoting me will get you nowhere if you need a warranty repair.
    4: This doesn't unlock your phone from the network you bought it from, so it's no point doing this if you want to change networks.

Also www.zyb.com has been dead handy for me in backing up my phone. You set up and account and then sync your phone. It replicates all numbers between the website and the phone. You can push contacts down to multiple models of phones.

Can anybody recommend any good games? Any of the ones I've downloaded have been mediocre at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Anybody esle having Opera problems? It fails during the connection test, either i'm doing something wrong, or Vodafone are blocking it?

I felt the same within about half an hr of getting mine this afternoon.

Starting to warm to it... but a portrait keypad would remove amost all of the niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Razor Ramone

Can anyone tell me how to get my yahoo mail set up on the phone. I'm inputting my e-mail address and password when prompted and it will not set up correctly. I keep on getting prompted for it again and the error message: connection refused by server..re-enter address or password. These are both correct though

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

I get this problem too. Use Nokia messaging instead.....its much better for email than the built in application.

Another alternative is Profimail
    http://www.lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail

Not free though but it's snappy. I've been using it for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure I'll be paying for it.

Why couldn't Nokia put good messaging clients on the phone. I tried the Nokia Messaging above and when trying to configure a mail for exchange account it kept telling me that it coudn't configure any more accounts (I have 0 configured). I gave up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anyone try these screen covers???
    they look very impressive
    $14.99 for the csreen
    $24.99 for the whole body
    use the promotion code "youmobile" for a 20% discount on zagg

the invisible shield? they're brilliant...had one on my tocco and my itouch....I was showing it off by doing the key test :D where i'd run my key along the screen and presto..no scratches..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dave type r

i bought a n97 on thurs and when i put my sim in all my contacts are different..
    eg; aaron/1, mark/1, etc..
    any ideas how to fix this problem??
    also any advice on how to delete and add new apps??
    thanks in advance,
    dave

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i bought a n97 on thurs and when i put my sim in all my contacts are different..
    eg; aaron/1, mark/1, etc..
    any ideas how to fix this problem??
    also any advice on how to delete and add new apps??
    thanks in advance,
    dave

What phone did you have before this? If you still have it, save all you contacts to the phone rather than the sim, then you can back them up online or on your pc and then transfer them to your new n97. If you previous phone was a resent nokia you should have an app in it called 'switch' which will send all your contacts from one phone to the other with a few button clicks.

You can delete most apps, some wont allow you without reflashing the phone. You should update the software to V12 also. To check what your on at the moment press *#0000# in the dialler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dave type r

Davy wrote: »
    What phone did you have before this? If you still have it, save all you contacts to the phone rather than the sim, then you can back them up online or on your pc and then transfer them to your new n97. If you previous phone was a resent nokia you should have an app in it called 'switch' which will send all your contacts from one phone to the other with a few button clicks.

You can delete most apps, some wont allow you without reflashing the phone. You should update the software to V12 also. To check what your on at the moment press *#0000# in the dialler.

old phone was a sony ericcson..cant seem to sort out the problem:mad:

Advertisement