Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

I think it's a scratch or dirt on the lens. Try wiping the lens. If that doesn't fix it it'll probably need to go into a repair centre.

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/07/27/nokia-n97-camera-flash-scratches/

Hi . I Had 3 different n97 before i gave up on it. The main issue's for me was the accuracy of the sat nav and the scratches on the lense.

When i was returning the 3rd one and getting my refund I was told that there is a new back cover that the nokia repair centre can fit. It fixes the accuracy of the gps signal and has a larger gap between the lense and the sliding cover so no scratching .

Was unwilling to wait any longer for a fully functioning phone so went back to the n96. Glad i did cos the n900 came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

seanybiker wrote: »
    now im paranoid about the USB thingmebob, I just slap it into the phone.

Ah I think I twisted it something in my sleep.

It isn't the biggest deal, i.e. it never came to the point where it wouldn't charge or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah I think I twisted it something in my sleep.

It isn't the biggest deal, i.e. it never came to the point where it wouldn't charge or whatever.
    Ah thats no bother, I dont tend to play with me phone whjen I'm asleep. Maybe the phone seen your sig and decided it wanted out of the Liverpool fans house. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got my N97 back from the repair centre, took 7 days.
    They've replaced the lens unit, cover slides very smoothly so hopefully its now fixed.
    The GPS fix was also applied, there is a new cover/sticker over the GPS area....it looks the same as the old one only its new/clean.
    GPS lock is very quick now, definitely improved, and accuracy seems to be a lot better too it was keeping up with the car.

Oh and they never said anything about the fact I'd changed the product code to force the update to v2.0. I changed it back to the original code before I sent it in but they never mentioned it.
    One other thing to note is that they will clear all memory devices on the phone including the mass storage. Bit pissed off about that but at least the phone works now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

lafors wrote: »

Lafors, what repair centre was this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

lafors wrote: »
    They've replaced the lens unit, cover slides very smoothly so hopefully its now fixed.
    The GPS fix was also applied, there is a new cover/sticker over the GPS area....it looks the same as the old one only its new/clean.
    GPS lock is very quick now, definitely improved, and accuracy seems to be a lot better too it was keeping up with the car.
    Does anyone know if all new N97s come with these fixes and 2.0 FW already applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

PH4T wrote: »
    Lafors, what repair centre was this?

The one in Artane, allsat.

Does anyone know if all new N97s come with these fixes and 2.0 FW already applied?

The lack got me my phone for christmas. The GSP lock seems to be alot quicker than the N95-2 I had before it, dunno if it has the fix on it though cos I dont have any other one to compare to. I updated the firmware meself though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

782378 wrote: »

nice one - thanks for the post.
    last note looks like we need to wait until Jan28th.

ive been using the google maps app cos my nokia free sub expired, but doesnt have the voice directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

That is indeed good news.
    Have my n97 mini about 2 weeks now, and it's working out well
    Skip opera mini - it doesn't play well with boards, but opera mobile is better.
    Google maps v ovi maps - google would need a constant data connection, ovi maps are already downloaded and only need the gps. Can't wait for the 28th when the maps are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

tagoona wrote: »
    opera mobile is better.

Opera Mobile rules! :)

It's the best thing since sliced bread...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Is anybody else having problems with the touch screen freezing and being totally unresponsive on their N97 ?
    I have to say it's the worst phone I have ever had the misfortune to own.
    I sent it into the MPRS in Sandyford and they were looking for 170euro before even diagnosing any problems with the device so I asked them to return it as I can't afford to pay that amount.
    I have updated the firmware to the latest version and the problems still persist.

Anyone else in the same boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

tallus wrote: »
    Is anybody else having problems with the touch screen freezing and being totally unresponsive on their N97 ?
    I have to say it's the worst phone I have ever had the misfortune to own.
    I sent it into the MPRS in Sandyford and they were looking for 170euro before even diagnosing any problems with the device so I asked them to return it as I can't afford to pay that amount.
    I have updated the firmware to the latest version and the problems still persist.

Anyone else in the same boat ?

it should be covered under the nokia warrenty i brought my one out (had gps/signal problems) and they fixed it with no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It wasn't bought in Europe, so the warranty isn't covered in Europe :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Opera Mobile rules! :)

Would be even better if it wasn't for the phone's tiny Cache :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

samhail wrote: »
    nice one - thanks for the post.
    last note looks like we need to wait until Jan28th.

ive been using the google maps app cos my nokia free sub expired, but doesnt have the voice directions.

Except there is no option to install it for Ireland.
    http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads#/nokia-n97-mini/

it should be covered under the nokia warrenty i brought my one out (had gps/signal problems) and they fixed it with no charge

Donkey, did you got directly to MPRS or did you go via a Vodafone (or O2,3) store.??? Also what network are you with. Mine (N97 mini) is losing reception

Hey Dirk, no not all N97's (yet) come with V20.2.019 FW installed. Most had V12.0.24 You will need to update the FW using the Ovi software. I would recommend this before you make any changes to profiles as the new FW is like a factory reset. However V.21 is due January 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Batman, do you know if new ones come with the GPS and Camera Lens flaws sorted?

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure the scracthing lens cover issue was sorted quite some time ago. Got mine maybe a month after launch date, and no problems with that.

GPS, never used it.

Batman, do you know if new ones come with the GPS and Camera Lens flaws sorted?

The lens cover, I believe so. The GPS, not so sure. My N97 tends to loose reception. I mean I am on full coverage then when I answer it drops to 1 or 2 bars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

batman2000 wrote: »
    Donkey, did you got directly to MPRS or did you go via a Vodafone (or O2,3) store.??? Also what network are you with. Mine (N97 mini) is losing reception

yeah i went directly to mprc in sandyford droped it in the morning and they had it ready that afternoon im with 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Hey,
    Was gonna buy a N97 off ebay in the next 2 days but just want to ask anyone who currently has one are the happy with it?:confused:

Brother has one but he really doesnt use it to its fullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Hey,
    Was gonna buy a N97 off ebay in the next 2 days but just want to ask anyone who currently has one are the happy with it?:confused:

Yeah go for it. I bought mine on ebay about 4 or 5 months ago for £300. You'll probably get one even cheaper now. If you're happy enough with Nokia phones you'll be happy with this.

The only other phone I would alongside it would be the Nexus One but it's only early days yet and i haven't heard much about it.

....but just want to ask anyone who currently has one are the happy with it?:confused:

Personally speaking, no. Has a nasty habit of locking up one or twice a month to the point where i have to take the battery out. Factory reset/clearing the memory etc seems to stave off the problem for a while,
    then it comes back again. Maybe i should get it looked at, but i'm not doing anything unusual with it.

When it works, it's not a bad phone, but the included browser is clunky. Third party browsers fill the (tiny) cache quickly and the flash won't stay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I have a brand new N97 I have for sale. Got it as an insurance replacement for my broken N95. I'm not a fan of physical keyboards so I have ordered a Nexus One which I should have in the next few days. I was gonna stick my N97 on eBay then but maybe we could do a deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Hey,

I've had mine about six weeks and I am not really happy with it. The camera flash lights up the lens cap and ruins every photo with a while shimmer down the side. There are loads of times when it tells me to close other apps so it can run something, even when there are no apps open. This is with the simplest of things like messaging. Sometimes the lights won't go on so I can't see the screen. Sometimes it just freezes.

I had an N95 8GB and I loved it. The N97 is unloveable.

I've had mine about six weeks and I am not really happy with it. The camera flash lights up the lens cap and ruins every photo with a while shimmer down the side.

just do what I done and use a black marker down the side of the lens. Works perfectly. there isa video a page or two back to show you exactly where to do it. Only takes 2 seconds and the camera is perfect again. Loves my N97 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've had mine about six weeks and I am not really happy with it. The camera flash lights up the lens cap and ruins every photo with a while shimmer down the side. There are loads of times when it tells me to close other apps so it can run something, even when there are no apps open. This is with the simplest of things like messaging. Sometimes the lights won't go on so I can't see the screen. Sometimes it just freezes.

That's the problem i had with mine,it was wrecking my head. I got a Nexus 1 last week so i'm going to shift my N97 on adverts. I swear the phone had a life of its own,often shutting down and restarting at random,freezing,the same issue with apps apparently running when they weren't! One of the worst phones i've had the misfortune to own tbh.

Advertisement