Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'll be a lone voice here and say I like mine. I don't love it as there are a few niggles and I don't think I've ever loved any phone. I updated to the V2 firmware as soon as it came out a couple of months ago.

I have the problem with the camera lens and flash but I'm going to send it off to a repair centre in a couple of weeks. I know about the black marker fix but I'd prefer Nokia to fix it.

I don't have the problem with running out of memory or any random freezing that other people seem to have. I have gone in to the settings and changed everything I could to use the 32Gb drive.

My main uses for it are Garmin maps, Google mail and calendar synch using MFE, watching videos, listening to podcasts, Skype & Facebook & Twitter using Nimbuzz, using the camera (so the flash problem is annoying) and making the odd phone call :)

If you'd asked me a week or two after I got it if I'd sell it I would have said yes. Now, it must have grown on me.

For the camera flash problem or lens getting scratched and for an update to the GPS contact a Nokia repair centre (Allstat is the one I'll be using) to get it repaired. Nokia really shouldn't have shipped it with basic problems like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thanks all, looks like it has its flaws but what phone doesnt I guess.

Edit: See a guy selling one in the states but its the Asian version. Any ides what the difference is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

hey guys, im on the fence about buying one of these, my n95 8gig has served me well but its time to put it in the emergency phone drawer.

ive read the issues here and being the veteren of symbian i think i can tolerate the niggles, but im concerned about the processor speed of the n97. seems a bit pokey compared to the other phones in the price range

how does it handle full screen video? especially youtube etc, my n80 hated it, n95 tolerates it just.. but id like something that chews it up.
    id rather stick with nokia as they are the familiar groove im in.

and the browser, how does it deal with flash? the stock n95 one is ok for some sites but i tend to use skyfire for anything with video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'll be a lone voice here and say I like mine. I don't love it as there are a few niggles and I don't think I've ever loved any phone.

Nokia really shouldn't have shipped it

Sad as it sounds, I loved my N95 8GB. I told all my friends that I preferred it to an iphone and I was right. Am I happier to have an N97 than an iphone? I'm not so sure.

Having Nokia's top of the line phone and people suggesting markers to make alterations, constantly having to monitor the memory, needing taken back to the shop as it wasn't right in the first place. It just isn't good enough, given the price.

One of the unique selling points is supposed to be homescreen widgets. I can't get them to work all the time. Facebook works ok, Accuweather is just a joke. If I have either of them on and go out of coverage I'll get a million repeated 'no signal' warnings. Not good to listen to music to. And when I have signal I'll get asked at random if I want to allow them to go online, even if they already are.

I got on to the Nokia website last night and downloaded the new Ovi Maps software. It installed ok but does it work? Of course not. It crashes each time I go beyond the menu.

Look up the forums on allaboutsymbian.com or www.3g.co.uk

They will tell you not to buy an N97. I wish I had listened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I got on to the Nokia website last night and downloaded the new Ovi Maps software. It installed ok but does it work? Of course not. It crashes each time I go beyond the menu.

In nokia's defense on this one, they have stated the new version of OVI maps is not optimized for the N97. They have a firmware update coming this thursday to sort it and with any luck they will have the new maps built into the firmware itself saving us some C: space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

In nokia's defense on this one, they have stated the new version of OVI maps is not optimized for the N97. They have a firmware update coming this thursday to sort it and with any luck they will have the new maps built into the firmware itself saving us some C: space

Yeah, but when will 3 release this firmware? I don't want to change my product code as it will invalidate my warranty and I am going to need it I'm sure on this phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thanks all, looks like it has its flaws but what phone doesnt I guess.

Edit: See a guy selling one in the states but its the Asian version. Any ides what the difference is?
    normally the asian ones are just copies of the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

seanybiker wrote: »
    normally the asian ones are just copies of the phones.

Yeah,
    Thanks, unreal, you really have to read the fine print on those auctions.

They really should be made make it more clear that its a knock off!

Yeah,
    Thanks, unreal, you really have to read the fine print on those auctions.

They really should be made make it more clear that its a knock off!

I know yeah. one of me mates got the N96 for fook all, delighted with himself. Seen it the other day, and told him it was a knock off. He gave it to one of the others for nothing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Have had mine since August and generally its been ok, besides the fact it changes between the default ring tone and the one I picked depending on its mood, and always had
    But lately its gone nuts, freezing 3 or 4 times a day, and now Im not getting message notificatons, well, it dosnt give a tone, a "new message recieved" message on the home screen or the little envelope at the top.
    The light does flash and when you go into messages there there is a red star over the inbox.
    Any suggestions? Have restarted it soooo many times.
    I do have around 3600 messages in the inbox and am using the mass memory, will deleting some messages help?
    Am running v20.0.019, did i hear there is a v21 coming out?

• Advertisement

steelbar wrote: »
    Have had mine since August and generally its been ok, besides the fact it changes between the default ring tone and the one I picked depending on its mood, and always had
    But lately its gone nuts, freezing 3 or 4 times a day, and now Im not getting message notificatons, well, it dosnt give a tone, a "new message recieved" message on the home screen or the little envelope at the top.
    The light does flash and when you go into messages there there is a red star over the inbox.
    Any suggestions? Have restarted it soooo many times.
    I do have around 3600 messages in the inbox and am using the mass memory, will deleting some messages help?
    Am running v20.0.019, did i hear there is a v21 coming out?

I dont know if deleting the messeges will work TBH. why do you have som many anyways? I know I got a few thousand before but that was only cos Im a hoarder and wanted to look more popular than my mates haha.
    Yeah there is a new firmware out on thursday I think it is.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I dont know if deleting the messeges will work TBH. why do you have som many anyways? I know I got a few thousand before but that was only cos Im a hoarder and wanted to look more popular than my mates haha.
    Yeah there is a new firmware out on thursday I think it is.

I just never bothered deleting any! Hopefully this new firmware will sort out the bugs in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

thats a recurring deal with symbian. certainly on all my ngage qd, 6680, n80 and n95 8gig.

after about 2500 it gets very sad and makes a hames of the rest of the os somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Did anyone update yet? Anything exciting?

It's not available for mine yet... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

The N97 is the best phone i've had the pleasure to own hands down. I've V2.something on it and its lightning fast! I've had it just over a week with no bugs or errors at all and the battery is brilliant :)

Put on NFS Shift last night and graphics are amazing! Also have that Myphone on it too (see page one of this thread) so it's a iPhone look-a-like when I want it to be.

I love my phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

steelbar wrote: »
    It's not available for mine yet... :mad:

Yeah and it won't be either if you're on O2.
    You'll need to change your product code (easy with NSS) and then open applications>sw update
    You'll have an update called "Ovi Maps - with free navigation 3.3"
    Install it, then change your product code back to original with NSS....or wait ages for O2 to get their act together ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

lafors wrote: »
    "Ovi Maps - with free navigation 3.3"

So is the firmware update included in that aswell? I installed that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Yeah and it won't be either if you're on O2.
    You'll need to change your product code

What product code are you using?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

Boxfresh wrote: »
    So is the firmware update included in that aswell? I installed that alright.

There is no firmware update yet.
    No reason why yet.
    The software update (ovi maps) can be applied once you're on V20.0.019
    It didn't take anymore c: memory off me, I had 41.8mb free before and the exact same after. I had ovi maps and nokia maps already installed so must have just overwritten them?
    boc121 wrote: »
    What product code are you using?
    Cheers.

My original code is 0588348
    The code i updated to for the update is 0570817

The software update (ovi maps) can be applied once you're on V20.0.019

Sorry for my lack of know how but, how?:confused:
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

sorry to interrupt the discussion of updates, which i must get to, but i was using the new driving maps today to get a feel and was wondering about the positioning methods.
    Does anyone know if there are data charges, or what they mean by:
    Assisted GPS
    Integrated GPS
    Bluetooth GPS
    Network based.
    The documentation and help have nothing, and i don't want to get stung with charges in a couple of weeks.

By the way, that was just after the ovi maps update.
    I haven't updated the firmware yet, must get around to it.
    But i've used a garmin nuvi in the past and my n97 mini on vodafone was quite good. Just need to get a cradle for the car for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Assisted GPS - This method of GPS is when you have a data connection open to your providor - a triangulation is done on your position. i think its about 50m

Integrated GPS - This is a full GPS device. no costs apply
    Bluetooth GPS - no idea
    Network based - same as the AGPS.

its better to have the aGPS on to get a quicker location position.

boc121 wrote: »
    Sorry for my lack of know how but, how?:confused:
    Cheers.

You might know all of this but just in case...
    So if you're still on V12 then you need to update to V20
    To do this you have 2 choices, wait for the operator (O2 etc.) to release it, or do it yourself, which may void you warranty...I've heard it does but I did it to mine and then sent it off a couple of weeks ago to get the GPS & camera lens fixed in a nokia service centre and nothing was said, was covered under my warranty.

So to upgrade to V20 get NSS (Nemesis Service Suite)
    Change your product code to the new one (I used the generic EURO N97 Black code)
    Use the Nokia Software Updater to update to V20
    When done go to applications>sw update and update your maps. Done.

There's a detailed description of this in someones sig in this thread, go back a few pages and you'll see it.
    Then once done go

Thanks very much for that figured it out all working fine now great stuff:D
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I just opened the box on my new n97 today :D My first question is, is there a way of setting it up so that the facebook app email etc. on the home screen connect using wifi instead of the mobile network. I cant seem to find the setting. I dont have a data package at the moment and I dont want it using all my credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

cooperguy wrote: »
    I just opened the box on my new n97 today :D My first question is, is there a way of setting it up so that the facebook app email etc. on the home screen connect using wifi instead of the mobile network. I cant seem to find the setting. I dont have a data package at the moment and I dont want it using all my credit!

goto settings connectivity destinations internet then changed your wifi piont as priorty 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

I got the car cradle for this recently.
    Is there anyway i could make a 'car' profile to just have the auto rotate function locked to this profile as i dont want it in any other profile?

Anyone get new firmware with ovi maps?
    Was usibg it lastnite but when i zoomed in it had no detail, only showed roads when zoomed pretty far out until i got closer to home. Did u guys download maps for irl/uk somewhere separately or was it just on it when bought? I didnt get mine in a shop.

On the map section that had detail the gps was going wonky. I was in flying and jumping around different roads in housing eststes according to maps but i was really on a dual 'crgway'.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    I got the car cradle for this recently.
    Is there anyway i could make a 'car' profile to just have the auto rotate function locked to this profile as i dont want it in any other profile?

Can't do it unfortunately :(
    Anyone get new firmware with ovi maps?
    Was usibg it lastnite but when i zoomed in it had no detail, only showed roads when zoomed pretty far out until i got closer to home. Did u guys download maps for irl/uk somewhere separately or was it just on it when bought? I didnt get mine in a shop.

No new firmware out yet (i.e. no V21)
    You need to get Nokia Map Loader for your PC then conect you phone and download the maps you need. Its good as they don't take up much space and you can put them on E: (mass memory)
    On the map section that had detail the gps was going wonky. I was in flying and jumping around different roads in housing eststes according to maps but i was really on a dual 'crgway'.

You probably need the GPS fix, its a different piece of shielding, apparently shields the GPS from the camera unit to prevent interference.
    I had it done for free a couple of weeks ago in a Nokia Service Centre....needs to be sent away. Definitely get it done.

Advertisement