Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

Davy wrote: »
    You should get V21 with that code!

I got it to work, I used the standalone NSU app rather than Ovi suite and it is now v 21.0.045

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thats strange. I have upgraded to V21 using ovi suite myself, but glad you got sorted in any case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

dos1965 wrote: »
    I got it to work, I used the standalone NSU app rather than Ovi suite and it is now v 21.0.045

Thanks for your help.

I Thought that dont forget to upgrade to maps 3.03 with free sat nav forever:)

malcox wrote: »
    I Thought that dont forget to upgrade to maps 3.03 with free sat nav forever:)

Hi, trying that now but Ovi suite doesn't find the update, the phone shows v 3.01, don't know how to force the update, Am I missing something ?

Hi, trying that now but Ovi suite doesn't find the update, the phone shows v 3.01, don't know how to force the update, Am I missing something ?

Use your phone again its in updates i think

• Advertisement

Use your phone again its in updates i think

No all that's in the s/w update on the phone is Nokia Messenger and Ngage

Does anyone have a reliable link to the .sis file ? The Nokia site is giving me the runaround ( I can't find the .sis file anywhere).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I'm in the same boat. I brought it to phonemenders, who changed the German keyboard I had for a UK on (for a tenner) and updated the firmware to 20.0.019.
    When I try to update it again (using any method) it tells me no updates available.

It also shows "Custom version 20.0.019 C01.01".
    And Custom version date as 13-10-09.

Same with Maps - v3.01 with no update available.

?

No all that's in the s/w update on the phone is Nokia Messenger and Ngage

Does anyone have a reliable link to the .sis file ? The Nokia site is giving me the runaround ( I can't find the .sis file anywhere).

Thanks

Here is the link dont mind putting in your number download the file.
    http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...load#/default/

Here is the link dont mind putting in your number download the file.
    http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...load#/default/

Thanks very much, job done. Terrific support and advice from you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Lads,

having some serious FOOKEN problems with pc suite on this pc. It will NOT connect / recognise the n97!!!! ive wasted about 1.5 hours this morning trying it.

so far, ive uninstalled it, restarted it, did the same for the cable connection drivers and ovi suite etc, disconnected the phone, the cable, restarted the machine every time and it will still NOT bloody fooken show me a choice of connection for between either a usb, bluetooth or other. balloon pops up and it goes through all the usual as soon as i connect the phone, it goes thru everything, and says hardware is installed and ready to use. i can open the folders and view every file if i want, in windows explorer, but it will not show the nokia browser or when nokia suite is opened, and u click connect a device, it will not recognise the phone. fooken pissen me off now. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

If you've got another pc or laptop you should try it there. It could be a problem with your pc that you're using now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I presume you picked PC suite on the phone when you have it connected and not mass storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I put in 0581088 in nss and that worked shes updating now boy!!:)

Afraid I put that code into NSS for my N97m and I got no software updates via Ovi Suite, NSU. Still V10.0.020. At least I think I got the code entered correctly.

batman2000 wrote: »
    Afraid I put that code into NSS for my N97m and I got no software updates via Ovi Suite, NSU. Still V10.0.020. At least I think I got the code entered correctly.

That product code is not for a N97 handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Could be a typing mistake, but i dont think it was the code used.

On the other hand, you will get V21 with this code: 0570817

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

On the other hand, you will get V21 with this code: 0570817

BTW thanks Davy, did that the other day, upgraded no bother. Did hard resets before and after. Installed the maps 3.3 though I haven't got a GPS signal yet, could be a bad signal where I am or I'm not doin it right.

Blade wrote: »
    I haven't got a GPS signal yet, could be a bad signal where I am or I'm not doin it right.

You need to be outside to get a lock, and it can take awhile for the first time. Using 'assisted gps' reduces locking time dramatically, but you will be charged for data usage. Fine if you have a data add on though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

You need to be outside to get a lock, and it can take awhile for the first time. Using 'assisted gps' reduces locking time dramatically, but you will be charged for data usage. Fine if you have a data add on though.

Ok I'll mess around with it so, I tried it walking down the road the other day but it probably doesn't help trying to get a lock while you're moving. I have just left the settings at default with 3 things checked, assisted/integrated and network based.

I actually find sometimes it helps to be moving!

You can go to menu > applications > locations > gps data > options > satellite status.

• Advertisement

Sorry batman i made a typo the code for n97 mini is 0580188

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Did anyone here get the camera cover slide and GPS fixed with phonemenders on South Anne St?!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Anyone else think it's strange that the ovi suite software for the pc doesn't even attempt to deal with videos. I was out, took some photos and videos, but had to resort to manual file transfer mode in order to grab the videos. Serious oversight on nokia's part methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

So on a whim I decided to buy myself a N97, but reading through all these posts I'm a bit lost!!! So can you tell me what is best to download to phone and laptop. I'm on Vodafone prepay.
    Am I right in saying that I can somehow use the broadband I have in the house with the phone, rather than paying for it on the mobile?
    Soz I'm a bit clueless. Hoping to get the phone tomorrow so looking forward to playing with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So on a whim I decided to buy myself a N97, but reading through all these posts I'm a bit lost!!! So can you tell me what is best to download to phone and laptop. I'm on Vodafone prepay.
    Am I right in saying that I can somehow use the broadband I have in the house with the phone, rather than paying for it on the mobile?
    Soz I'm a bit clueless. Hoping to get the phone tomorrow so looking forward to playing with it!!!

Basic things you'll need will be PC Suite or OVI Suite, after that it's up to you what you want!

Yes you can connect to the wireless, very easy to do, pretty sure the manual will give you a clear enough guide on how to do it!

If this is your first smart phone it would be a good idea to try and learn as much as possible about the device to utilise it's full potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

kmart6 wrote: »
    Did anyone here get the camera cover slide and GPS fixed with phonemenders on South Anne St?!

I had my firmware updated to 2.0 by fonemenders, Cork (as well as keyboard replaced). I still couldn't self-update to the latest firmware after that via Nokia Software Suite or on the phone itself, but after I used the "Nokia Software Updater" that worked.

I asked about the camera lens in fonemenders and was told it would be 30 euros (35?). I don't see why I should pay anything for something that is an obvious design fault -and anyway, as far as I could tell they were planning on fixing the lens for that price rather than the cause. The same thing would only happen again soon afterwards.

As for GPS... it was working fine for me when I got my phone first. After a few updates I could no longer get a signal. After updating to 3.03 I seem to have a signal again. The only way I found to go from 3.01 to 3.03 was again via Nokia Software Updater rather than the more 'high profile' suggested methods.

Ok so just got my N97 this morning and already I'm having a problem! I can't sent text messages. It keps saying it will try again in a few mins, and check network settings. Now I can receive texts and make and receive calls so I'm not sure whats up. It was an unlocked phone I bought from the UK. Any ideas please???!!

get the sms settings off your service providers website and double check them against what ya have in the phone.

If you have wireless in your house then your laughing. If not then just find out the passsword for your neghbours wifi is. :)

• Advertisement

Ok so just got my N97 this morning and already I'm having a problem! I can't sent text messages. It keps saying it will try again in a few mins, and check network settings. Now I can receive texts and make and receive calls so I'm not sure whats up. It was an unlocked phone I bought from the UK. Any ideas please???!!

Turns out the message centre number is a UK number, I'm presuming the people I bought it from didn't fully unlock it. So can I sort this? I emailed the seller but the haven't replied yet :(.
    On the upside I got the connection sorted for the wireless! Had some packet data issues but think I got that sorted thanks to this thread! :)

Advertisement