Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

You need to go in to message settings and change the message centre number to your network what net are you on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

malcox wrote: »
    You need to go in to message settings and change the message centre number to your network what net are you on
    Thats the thing, it won't let me change the number nor will it let me create a new number

HMMMM sounds like a hard reset is needed. Im not sure how if you google how to hard reset n97 that should work or try restore factory settings in the menu.

I'm kinda afraid to do that, I don't know what I might lose? Also it said the message centre number was coming from the sim, but sure thats the sim I had in my old phone, pretty odd

All you will lose is recently added vids or photos... Sounds odd though Restoring factory settings is safer you wont lose anyting only reset tones etc

• Advertisement

hmmmmm, i done the factory settings restore and it changed to the correct message centre number, yay!! BUT......it still won't send texts!! :(

hmmmmm, i done the factory settings restore and it changed to the correct message centre number, yay!! BUT......it still won't send texts!! :(

Ok I got sorted, went to the Vodafone shop and had the sim card replaced. That seems to have done the job. Thanks for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Hey lads,
    Got my N97 and by god it is cool.

Went about upgrading and it wouldn't. Got it from Fonezonline.ie and it turns out it came from Malaysia. So last night check the product code and go v21. Yipee.

Now, I am disappointed at the amount of apps available or how many just don't seem to work.

Can anyone recommend good resources for apps please?

Go to ovistore.com you can install this on your phone also. they have thousands of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

malcox wrote: »
    Go to ovistore.com you can install this on your phone also. they have thousands of them..

Can t seem to use that. Its send the link to my phone but when I attempt the download from the phone then t fails eveytime, with different apps.

Found http://www.nokias60v5.com/
    which looks good.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Can t seem to use that. Its send the link to my phone but when I attempt the download from the phone then t fails eveytime, with different apps.

Found http://www.nokias60v5.com/
    which looks good.:D

www.getjar.com has a few java apps that work on the N97 too.

On a related note does anybody know a good media player for the phone.
    I download podcasts which could be about an hour or two long. So if I listen for 30 mins and then come back to it I need to get 30 mins into the mp3 file. My fingers are not fine enough to hit the correct times and I can normally get it within a couple of minutes and just have to relisten to the bit I've heard before.
    Every MP3 player in existance has a fast forward button which will speed up the playing so you can get to your spot. The standard Nokia app just has the big bar and then the next / previous item buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

www.getjar.com has a few java apps that work on the N97 too.

On a related note does anybody know a good media player for the phone.
    I download podcasts which could be about an hour or two long. So if I listen for 30 mins and then come back to it I need to get 30 mins into the mp3 file. My fingers are not fine enough to hit the correct times and I can normally get it within a couple of minutes and just have to relisten to the bit I've heard before.
    Every MP3 player in existance has a fast forward button which will speed up the playing so you can get to your spot. The standard Nokia app just has the big bar and then the next / previous item buttons.

just keep your finger on the next button and it will starting flying through it after a second or two. :)

i use mobilecastle.biz for my games and apps. you can ask them to request a dev cert for you and all so you can sign things for your phone.
    ip-mart is good aswell.
    Im on most of the symbian sites lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I used Davy's 'fix' to change the code on my N97. Worked perfectly and now successfully updated to v21 firmware.
    I have 2 small questions relating to the changing of the code.
    - Is there a limit on the number of times this change (backwards & forwards) can be done?
    - Is there a permanent log left over in the phone of every code change (I suppose it follows on from the first q)?

I'm not that paranoid to particularly want to be going back and forth every time there is a new firmware, but at the same time I am very aware that the phone still has another 17 months of warranty left over....

Italia wrote: »
    I used Davy's 'fix' to change the code on my N97. Worked perfectly and now successfully updated to v21 firmware.
    I have 2 small questions relating to the changing of the code.
    - Is there a limit on the number of times this change (backwards & forwards) can be done?
    - Is there a permanent log left over in the phone of every code change (I suppose it follows on from the first q)?

I'm not that paranoid to particularly want to be going back and forth every time there is a new firmware, but at the same time I am very aware that the phone still has another 17 months of warranty left over....

you can change it as many times as you want.
    regarding a log on the phone, I dont know 100% but I wouldnt imagine there is one on it at all. What would be the point :)

Thanks for the reply.
    It sort of eases my mind a bit, but I find it very strange that there wasn't some sort of a log, given the level of sophistication of the device and its application.

I work as an analyst for a major printer company (no, not HP). All our mid & top level machines have internal logs for diagnostic purposes. Even my car's ECU has a log.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    you can change it as many times as you want.
    regarding a log on the phone, I dont know 100% but I wouldnt imagine there is one on it at all. What would be the point :)

Thanks for the reply.
    It sort of eases my mind a bit, but I find it very strange that there wasn't some sort of a log, given the level of sophistication of the device and its application.

I work as an analyst for a major printer company (no, not HP). All our mid & top level machines have internal logs for diagnostic purposes. Even my car's ECU has a log.

True about changing the code.It wont matter i dont think their is a log. My brain has a log.......... To drink more guinness;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I have a log from time to time. I even check them on occasion.

...Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thanks for the reply.

i've read (possibly here or maybe elsewhere) that if you take a particular phone into a nokia service centre they can see what product codes and firmwares have been applied to it, even if you change it back and
    force a re-install of the firmware again.

i'm not sure if its a log on the phone or if its something (IMEI maybe) thats logged with the server whenever you run an update that maybe they have access to.

either way i'm sure they know, but at the same time nokia aren't going to care either way what firmware is on it as long as you didn't brick it during the update process.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Ok,a bit of a negative post but......

The N97 is a very very poor phone for what is meant to be Nokia's flagship phone.
    I got mine on and insurance claim after my lovely N95 8G got upset when it occidentally had a brief encounter with some H2O.

I miss my N95. It was a great phone. I went into Vodafone and they told me they have stopped doing the N97 and are just doing the mini now. Did they get to pissed of with it also?

Am I alone on this?

Speaker almost useless
    Headset socket not working any more
    Have to wiggle car charger to get it working
    Slowing down a lot and freezing quiet often
    Camera not half as good as the N95
    Reception is really bad compared to me wife's 5800
    Touch sensitive answer/hangup buttons are making me look silly cos I keep dialling and hanging up on people by accident.

I look after me phones. I have the most recent firmware.

Rant over

Am I just whinnying?

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Speaker almost useless - my speaker is grand
    Headset socket not working any more - never had a prob with the headset socket, and i use it alot
    Have to wiggle car charger to get it workingmy home charger is good, dont have car
    Slowing down a lot and freezing quiet often - i wouldnt say alot
    Camera not half as good as the N95 - dont know n95 camera, meant to be a good one though right
    Reception is really bad compared to me wife's 5800 - reception on my 5800 is the same as n97
    Touch sensitive answer/hangup buttons are making me look silly cos I keep dialling and hanging up on people by accident. - past few days i have been calling people but i was messing around with the auto key lock

• Advertisement

Well I can't compare it to the N95, but the N97 has some distinct advantages over just about everything else that makes me very happy I bought it as my first mobile phone ever.

32GB + 16GB mini sd is the main advantage.
    Multitasking another.
    Full keyboard. !
    Emails, Browsing, GPS (when needed), camera (better than the 5800, dunno about the N95), movie file viewing, Nimbuzz (for IM/YM/etc.), Wi-fi, notes, FM transmitter and more make it an amazing machine.

I haven't had any problems with any socket. You'd want to bring it to fonemenders if that's the case.
    The plug-in controller (that the headphones go into) acts as an aerial. If I have a bad reception, once I position this correctly it's soon sorted.

I use the internal speaker when listening to the radio in the morning mostly, but I switch on the house radio when I come downstairs. It's fine for that, but I wouldn't spend long listening to music on it (on the speaker that is -fine with headphones). I'd guess, if for no other reason, this increases battery life. Weight, cost and EU regulations are other possible reasons why it's inferior to that in the N95. Still, it's not a major loss. The FM transmitter negates the loss in my opinion.

The one and only problem I'm having is only since updating to the latest firmware... I have 5000+ songs on it and whenever I play anything at all everything in that music application slows to a crawl. It plays songs fine, but after pressing any button (menu, next song, pause, etc.) there is a significant delay. This never happened before this update.
    It _is_ faster now to show songs if I select "All Songs", but it's like its continually refreshing after that, which slows all keypresses to an almost unusable degree.
    I haven't set up playlists yet. The playlists I did have set up don't seem to be on it anymore (grr!)
    I suspect once I do so I might not notice the problem so much, but setting them up now will be a bigger headache than before.
    But anyway, I often like to just play all songs on random. I'll set up a playlist for that too of course, but that might not get around the problem. Maybe.
    Hope the _next_ update fixes this.

Ok. Maybe I should have said that the speaker was near to useless compared to the N95 or the 5800 (the 5800 has an amazing speaker for the size). In my opinion..

But for the rest of the issues, maybe taking it to the fonemenders is the best approach. Looks like you're having more technical luck than me.

And seen as though you brought up the FM transmitter.. Can you tell me what frequency you use in the car. I keep on getting interference from transmissions in Dublin. I keep clear of the main legal station frequencies but I can't avoid the pirates who insist over modulating the feck out of there transmitters.

I know I'm focusing on the negatives but they're the things that are bugging me. The phone has a lot of great features but some of them read better on paper than in real life.

As I said, I'll try getting it looked at and then see how it goes.

Thanks for the opinions..

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Adam anto wrote: »
    I know I'm focusing on the negatives but they're the things that are bugging me. The phone has a lot of great features but some of them read better on paper than in real life.

The N97 is a terrible phone. Like Adam anto, I moved from the N95 8GB to the N97. Decent hardware (loads of memory, FM transmitter etc) but destroyed by pathetic software and not enough RAM.

After wasting a few months with it I changed to the Nexus One last week.

Sooooo much better.

My advice to everyone on here. Sell your N97 while you can still get a decent price for it.

I'm in Cork so my experience is no use to you. For the record though, mainly I use 105fm, but there is interference in parts of the city (and East of the city). It's fine where I mostly go though. If I had the option, bluetooth would be the way to go in the car, but my car radio doesn't have that. I sometimes use the FM transmitter around the house to play music over the radio.

I'm on Vodafone bill pay and I've had both the N95-8Gb and the N97 (full) since last June. Both my phones were factory unblocked - none of that Vodafone 'enhanced' crappy firmware ;). I use my phone extensively both for calls as well as for data (email, sms's, fax) and I travel a lot in mainland EU.

I will agree that the speakers are crap on the N97, but IMHO they were only slightly better on the N95. However, this applies only as far as playing music or streaming video's. If used for normal audio (i.e a telephone call), they are perfectly acceptable - again, my opinion. I didn't buy the N97 for its multimedia capabilities. For that I have a...cough cough..perfectly good Ipod touch :D.

Never had a problem with charging - either in car (I use an old Nokia car charger with the adaptor thingy) or at home. Only issue with charging, not even sure it is a problem, is that the big rectangular plug on the adaptor seems to get very warm.

Headset socket works fine for me. Don't use the Nokia headset, but a set of Shure SE530's.

Reception - Both phones have been pretty good. I honestly didn't notice much difference. If I were to nitpick..probably the N95 was a bit worse.

Touch screen - can't compare phones. N95 isn't touch screen. However, never had a problem on N97. Only thing that drives me insane, is when the screen is locked, I have to slide my finger on the screen and then answer the call. Why couldn't Nokia simply allow one to press the red & green buttons....

Camera? No comment. I have taken probably 3 or 4 photos in total, between both phones. I do know that there are issues with the camera slide on the N97 but that they can be easily fixed.

Freezing? Does happen on N97, but not that often. I tend to reboot my phone once a week anyway. IMHO, it happened more on N95.

Slowing down? - Never noticed it.

I suppose that, as in all things, everyone will experience things differently. I am very happy with the N97, but I was also very happy with the N95-8Gb.
    Does what I want it to do and does it well. IMHO, well worth the money I spent on it. Then again, I use the phone only for phone and data, no multimedia.

One thing I would like to see in the N97 (perhaps there's something available to do it?) is to access/ copy to-from network share directories & files across wi-fi.
    It's available via Bluetooth -why not on wi-fi? ...Or is it??

And while we're at it, how about viewing streamed video files, huh? How about that!?

Anyone?

Seems as though the people who dislike is are in the minority. Well isn't that the fun of subjectivity...

It really is a personal preference thing I suppose. I do think however, I am going to give up the ghost on this one and run with my tail between my legs to Android (Nexus or HTC Hero). Got to give it a go after being with Symbian for so long.

Gunther_Gloop - This would be a great feature but I couldn't find a way to do it either.

Italia - Thanks for your in depth comparisons. I seem to have had different experiences so again, maybe it's the handset.

PH4T - I'm singing your song :-)

Trying to send an email but I keep getting a 'packet data: packet data not available. Check network services', message. I have the phone connected to the wifi in the house, its working grand on all other websites So whats the problem here? The email has an attachment if that makes any difference. I've changed the packet data setting to 'when available', and to 'when needed' but it ain't making no difference :confused:

Trying to send an email but I keep getting a 'packet data: packet data not available. Check network services', message. I have the phone connected to the wifi in the house, its working grand on all other websites So whats the problem here? The email has an attachment if that makes any difference. I've changed the packet data setting to 'when available', and to 'when needed' but it ain't making no difference :confused:

Change your email settings to use your wifi as priority.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Change your email settings to use your wifi as priority.

It is set as priority!? Would it have anything to do with the firmware?

Advertisement