Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It is set as priority!? Would it have anything to do with the firmware?

no shouldnt be anything to do with firmware.

looky what I found. dunno if its allowed in here or not, shold be grand though.
    http://www.dreamstrikes.com/s60v5-rom-modding-dev-certificates/53915-successfully-hack-nokia-n97-firmware-v21-0-045-phnt-method.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

What's the advantage of hacking it? What exactly does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Peckham

This may be a stupid question, but does most of this thread refer to the "N97 Mini" rather than the original N97? Am guessing it does, but would like confirmation!

Boxfresh wrote: »
    What's the advantage of hacking it? What exactly does that mean?

Ya can install unsigned apps and just mess around with it basically, new startup screens and little things like that.

Peckham wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question, but does most of this thread refer to the "N97 Mini" rather than the original N97? Am guessing it does, but would like confirmation!
    Nah most of us are on about the N97"full" or whatever ya call it lol. Not the mini. Same difference really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Peckham

Cheers Seanybiker. I'm on Vodafone, and have the option of N97 Mini or N900. Use it a lot for Internet, email and would like to use also for music. Any ideas which is my better bet?

• Advertisement

Cheers Seanybiker. I'm on Vodafone, and have the option of N97 Mini or N900. Use it a lot for Internet, email and would like to use also for music. Any ideas which is my better bet?

i never used the N900 to be honest. I think the N900 is more business based and the N97 is more internet/social network based. Personally i'd pick the N97 over any phone out there.

Have a little read here and you should know yourself bud.
    http://phonereport.info/analysis-nokia-n97-vs-nokia-n900/

woo woo sorry. I'd go for the N900 over the N97 mini.
    Ya want something that people inthe pub go "jaysus would ya look at yer man, the posh fecker". :) if ya know what I mean.
    If yo can ge tthe full N97 go for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Don't get a N97. It really is a complete let down. Wait a month and get an iPhone of Nexus One on Vodafone.

If you can't wait get a N900 or a N86.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I'd not get anything other than an N97 (full), but I wouldn't recommend an N97 to anyone who isn't prepared to "tinker". For all its bells & whistles, as others point out, it can sometimes do things in queer ways. Strange things can happen (eg. you might set the E: as the place to store emails and settings, but sometimes it is reset to C:, losing the settings you have stored on E, and you need to know how to set it back -that alone is a reason I'd not recommend an N97 to someone not "tech-savvy").

So, while it has many advantages over many/most/all phones out there, I can see why people like the simplicity and style of an Iphone, etc.. For me, the specs themselves are the key, but also I like to tinker and find new ways of doing things and setting things up, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I agree, I like to tinker so the N97 suits me. If you don't like to tinker why bother get a smartphone at all :pac:
    I just got the N97 two weeks ago after using an N95. I had dismissed it completely at launch due to lack of gpu, weak processor, low ram, etc, and had been looking forward to the N900.

However maps are my killer apps, both Nokia and Viewranger. The Nokia maps on the N900 are apparently poor, and Viewranger doesn't exist. I wanted a larger higher res screen for the maps so it was either the N97 or I8910, and the N97 was cheaper so I got one and I have to say I'm happy with it so far. It definitely could do with a faster cpu especially with Viewranger but it's acceptable.

I updated it immediately to the latest firmware and haven't had any ram shortages or gps issues such as I'd read about.

I hacked it as well for the crack to see the effects and stuff but might just revert to the normal firmware as I quickly got bored of those. Then again some fellas are brewing their own firmware so I might have a go at that :D

I hacked it as well for the crack to see the effects and stuff but might just revert to the normal firmware as I quickly got bored of those. Then again some fellas are brewing their own firmware so I might have a go at that :D

Phoenix wont work for me at all so I cant hack mine. Where did you get phoenix from?

i keep getting
    Error loading component

HRESULT 0x80040154 (-2147221164)
    This means:
    Class not registered
    When i start phoenix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My N97 is in having the touchscreen replaced at the moment in mobile phone solutions in Tallaght, and I should have it back by friday, touch wood heh...
    If things worked on the N97 it would be a really great phone but alas I have lost any confidence in mine thus far.
    If the new touchscreen works the way it's meant to I'll be pretty happy with it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ya can install unsigned apps and just mess around with it basically, new startup screens and little things like that.

Nah most of us are on about the N97"full" or whatever ya call it lol. Not the mini. Same difference really though.

Well Seany except for the firmware updates. The scrolling on the N97M is crap (like of old V12 of the N97 32GB) and the changes of the allocation of the browser cache is still the same as the old firmware version i.e. crap !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

VF sent me a txt a few days ago with settings, I saved the message and I was able to use the internet when I left the house (which I hadn't been able to do before). But now the phone will not connect to the wifi even though it is priority 1. When I have no network coverage it still won't connect. VF are being very unresponsive :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Have you tried setting all your apps connectivity settings to "always ask"? The priority settings on my phone seem to keep changing by themselves, but I don't have a problem.

Blade wrote: »
    Have you tried setting all your apps connectivity settings to "always ask"? The priority settings on my phone seem to keep changing by themselves, but I don't have a problem.

Wifi is set at priority 1, and 'automatically', the other connections are set to be used 'after confirmation', yet the phone keeps using VF as its internet connection :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yeh I mean in the applications themselves, like the web browser for example.

Yeh I mean in the applications themselves, like the web browser for example.

hmmmmm.....how do I check that? Not the most computer savvy person :rolleyes:

Edit........just found it! Its set to ask, so should I set it to my wifi connection?

In your standard nokia web browser application, go to Options-> Settings -> General and then access point which is the top one. Click that and change it to "ask when needed".

Assuming that works you'll want to do that with all your applications that access the Internet.

Just seen your edit, if it's set to ask when needed it should ask you as soon as you start the web browser, then you select "search for wlan" to find your wifi.

nope that won't do it. As the phone as no network coverage at the moment its saying 'network unavailable, not able to perform'....balddy blah blah....getting so annoyed at this stage. The wifi is connected! The phone recognises it but it won't pick up!!!

• Advertisement

Jaysus, sorry I'm lost then. Maybe try bringing it into a vodaphone shop? I use mine with wifi mainly, in the pub, at home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

nope that won't do it. As the phone as no network coverage at the moment its saying 'network unavailable, not able to perform'....balddy blah blah....getting so annoyed at this stage. The wifi is connected! The phone recognises it but it won't pick up!!!

Why doesnt it have network connection?
    Have you put the phone into 'offline' mode and tried the wlan then?

When you say it recognises it, but wont pick it up. Do you see your wlan connection, click on it to connect, and then nothing happens? Is your security settings ok between your router and phone, wep key etc?

In your standard nokia web browser application, go to Options-> Settings -> General and then access point which is the top one. Click that and change it to "ask when needed".

Assuming that works you'll want to do that with all your applications that access the Internet.

Blade I changed 'ask when needed' to 'internet' and its going grand now on the wifi, except on the facebook widget on the home page. Its still trying to connect via VF live. I wonder should I remove fb and reinstall it?

Davy I had no network connection when I posted last night as they network is crap where I live! You have to leave your phone in certain areas of the house to get coverage.....pain in the rear.

Blade I changed 'ask when needed' to 'internet' and its going grand now on the wifi, except on the facebook widget on the home page. Its still trying to connect via VF live. I wonder should I remove fb and reinstall it?

No harm trying that. Odd though cause mine works fine on "ask when needed", even the facebook widget asks me do I want to use wlan or "Internet" and Internet for me connects to o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Does anybody reccommend me spending my hard earned cash on a n97?
    Im looking at the n97 or i phone 3gs

I want it mainly for web browsing, and generally playing around with gagdets etc.
    The better camera and flash enabled browsing are swaying me toward the n97
    Have the bugs been sorted out or are people still having major issues?
    Thanks
    (I will be on the o2 networks)

pabloh999 wrote: »

I want it mainly for web browsing, and generally playing around with gagdets etc.
    Thanks
    I dont find it buggy at all to be honest. Before I was on firmware 21 it was a tiny bit buggy but only a tiny bit. Had to turn it off a couple times was all. I have the yoke full of stuff so it was bound to happen haha.
    Browsing the web is great on it and obviously the camera is better than that 3gs.
    Its upto yourself in the end, I'd go for the N97 any day over the iphone, but thats just me.
    A lot of people complain about the N97 so I suppose Ill just leave one of them have their 2cents aswell sure. :)
    You'll be happy with whichever you choose though in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

If you're using bookmarks too there's something strange that goes on there...

Highlight a bookmark and select bookmark manager, then edit.

Here you can have settings related to that bookmark, including name, address, etc.
    ...But it also lets you choose an access point here (!??)
    Most strange. Mine are all set to default. Other options are whichever access points are already set.

This probably has nothing to do with the problems you were having, but if your bookmarks were set to your old access point (if you use bookmarks) then it could have lead to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Thanks

I've owned both and for me the only choice is the iPhone. Now maybe this is because I owned the N97 after the iPhone. After about 2 months I had to go back to iPhone. Symbian is just so unintuitive and unnecessary compared to iPhone OS IMHO. Also, iPhone's web browser is a million times better.

I suppose if you really want the better camera, maybe consider the Nokia N900. It has a different operating system and is supposedly much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Not sure if the n900 is out for o2 yet? Im sure it'll be fairly pricey when it does, i've widened my search to the htc hd2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not sure if the n900 is out for o2 yet?

It is out on o2

Advertisement