Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Eh Select->Options->Delete......?!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Hey Davy, same again last night. Left it and it was over 1100MB again this morning and still going. Don't know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Just thought I'd let people know that Skype is now up on the Ovi Store as a free download. Seems to work ok, no video calls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

must download it to check it out. still using fring for skype which has video call support

The phone isn't displaying blank like it says it might, and in fact I can unplug is freely while it's going on. My phone isn't attached to the laptop now yet the software updater is still open, still running and still downloading . . .

Tried uninstalling NSU and re-installing.
    Tried switching laptop off and on again.
    Tried switching phone off and on again.

Still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Davy wrote: »
    Being stored on the mass memory so would need a Hard reset, but i just noticed a better way :o

Did a Hard reset and that wiped it. I didn't have the phone turned off when I was attempting the Hard reset so it didn't work the first time.

I still can't understand why you couldn't just delete them individually?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    I still can't understand why you couldn't just delete them individually?!

Cause the calendar went back 4 years and had about 10,000 entries in it!!!

It's still downloading away here with no phone! 338MB!

PH4T wrote: »
    Cause the calendar went back 4 years and had about 10,000 entries in it!!!
    But why didn't you just select all and delete?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hey Davy, same again last night. Left it and it was over 1100MB again this morning and still going. Don't know what to do

You could let them do it for you in a nokia care centre

Where would I find one of those??

Just checked on it there again, and now's it's reset itself, gone back to 0MB and now up to 26MB of 142MB . . .

Where would I find one of those??

http://www.nokia.ie/store-locator

tick the 'nokia care point' box

How much would it cost would you know?

Wont cost anything. Just backup your file at home before you go in just encase. You dont need to with the n97 but its always safer imo.

Brilliant, think I've no other option

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Bit the bullet. Got the iPhone and am sending the N97 to envirofone. Ease of use on the iPhone makes me wonder why I tried so hard with the Nokia.

Would you not have got more selling it?

I would have got more but envirofone was recommended to me and it seemed like less hassle. Put the n97 and n95 in an envelope and wait for the cheque. Good luck to everyone who sticks with the n97 - I had hoped it would be a great phone and kinda kidded myself that it was for a while - but imo it doesn't hold a candle to the iphone. just sorry i took so long to make the jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Dermoth wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone who sticks with the n97 - I had hoped it would be a great phone and kinda kidded myself that it was for a while - but imo it doesn't hold a candle to the iphone. just sorry i took so long to make the jump.

Same here, I've had the N97 for the last 5 months and it really isn't up to the standards it should be. The resistive touch screen is a joke on a phone like that plus it has loads more issues. I also kept saying to myself it's a good phone cos of the money spent on it, but being totally honest it wasn't the best.

I went and bought a HTC HD2 on ebay last night and getting rid of the N97 as soon as that comes.

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Same here, I've had the N97 for the last 5 months and it really isn't up to the standards it should be. The resistive touch screen is a joke on a phone like that plus it has loads more issues. I also kept saying to myself it's a good phone cos of the money spent on it, but being totally honest it wasn't the best.

Yeah same here. I just sold my N97 on eBay this week after a month of using the Nexus One. I had to turn the N97 on again to wipe it before I sent it to the buyer and I was shocked how rubbish the screen is in comparison and how clunky the software is.

Got €255 for it on eBay which isn't great but it seems to be falling in value by €50 a month. Get out now while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Hmm, I've only had mine a month and think it's a great piece of kit. I've had no lens problems, no gps problems, no ram problems but I am on the latest f/w.

I don't find the o/s anyway clunky, but I've been using computers since the 70's and find my way around tech very easily.

What is important for me is that it does all that I need, I don't care about flashy effects or smoothness or whatever so long as the functionality I require is there, and my particular needs are not met by any other handset right now.

Horses for courses, if something else meets your needs then fair play, but don't be assuming we're all the same as you seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

i was using a htc hero, cudnt get on with it though, so used to nokias perhaps...

so i bought a nokia n97, awaiting its arrival

i hope i dont regret it!!

It's like MackdeToaster said - "horses for courses'. I've never had anything other than nokia. I resisted apple for so long because i wasn't interested in 02 or jailbreaking. I didn't have issues with the n97 in terms of anything not working (no lens issues etc). It just didn't click for me. Hope you enjoy yours.

Horses for courses, if something else meets your needs then fair play, but don't be assuming we're all the same as you seem to be.

Ahh the N97 is ok. If the iPhone and the Nexus One didn't exisit then it'd be a fine replacement for the N95.

Liking the N97 now is kinda like upgrading from your Discman to a Minidisc player and thinking it's great cause it can record etc. But it's not 1998 and you are stuck in a time warp of denial :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

personally I love my N97, what im gonna do is get another top of the range phone in the next while just to see the difference. Whats the most top of the range phone out at the moment. I loves me gadgets so I may aswell go for the best. Saying that, I love my n97.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

seanybiker wrote: »
    personally I love my N97, what im gonna do is get another top of the range phone in the next while just to see the difference. Whats the most top of the range phone out at the moment. I loves me gadgets so I may aswell go for the best. Saying that, I love my n97.

You could try the HTC HD2. Check out vids about it on youtube. I ordered mine a few days ago on ebay. It's got a massive 4.3 inch multitouch capacitive touchscreen, 1Ghz Snapdragon Proccessor and 418 Ram. You'd have been proud to have them specs on your desktop less than 10 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

PH4T wrote: »
    Ahh the N97 is ok. If the iPhone and the Nexus One didn't exisit then it'd be a fine replacement for the N95.

Liking the N97 now is kinda like upgrading from your Discman to a Minidisc player and thinking it's great cause it can record etc. But it's not 1998 and you are stuck in a time warp of denial :D

Ah no, don't get me wrong, I think the N97 h/w specs are a disgrace in many ways (slow cpu, stupidly small c-drive and ram, lack of gpu), and Nokia should hang their heads in shame for what they were at with that and the N96 etc. It works adequately, but for an NSeries it should have been so much more and it would have been easy to do. Everyone was giving out about the weedy specs long before it was released but for whatever numbnuts reason they went ahead with it, I can't understand why, and they only seem to be copping on to it recently themselves, it just beggars belief.

But on the other hand it's got a decent keyboard and camera, tons of storage, a relatively high-res screen and I love fm-transmitter and couldn't do without one now. Plus the o/s works well for me, a bit more flash would be nice alright, but it's not a requirement for me and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Most important for me though are the apps. I currently flick around between the four browsers I have installed, I also have the free and superb Ovi maps along with Garmin and NDrive.
    I do a lot of Openstreetmapping and hiking (removable battery rules!) etc so Viewranger is essential for me as I can have the entire country's Ordnance Survey maps on the phone, which I do, and I can view Openstreetmaps, navigate by them and record unmapped routes for later upload.

Viewranger is meant to be coming out for Android sometime so then I might consider a move, but I think Ovi Maps may still tip the balance. Plus I can still do Facebook, voice control, panoramic photos, editing office docs, etc on the N97, so things like the Nexus simply offer me nothing that I can't do already and fail to do what I need most.
    I've been very tempted by the N900 alright, but it's maps are crap and there's no Viewranger, but I think Meego is very promising and I'll be waiting to see what that brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭thomasj

well i have just got the n97 mini on meteor and have to say i love it! Thought i would never get another touch screen after having the 5800 but having been shown it i thought id take the plunge!

The screen is great to use i havent and wont need a stylus the web browser is quite good. The negative is the battery

Between buying this and switching from o2 to meteor the last week i am fairly happy that i got a decent phone and a proper price plan!

Advertisement