Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

old phone was a sony ericcson..cant seem to sort out the problem:mad:

Try a site like zyb which should work with both phones. Let me know if you have a problems

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dave type r

Davy wrote: »
    Try a site like zyb which should work with both phones. Let me know if you have a problems

thanks will let u know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is anyone else on v12 firmware on the N97? I have an unbranded, simfree UK N97 but the only update available was v11 - now it shows no updates available?

Elessar wrote: »
    Is anyone else on v12 firmware on the N97? I have an unbranded, simfree UK N97 but the only update available was v11 - now it shows no updates available?

I am on V12. Some product codes cant get V12 yet. You can change yours if you want, so you can update to V12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

First post here..

My widgets keep insisting on using my Meteor ISP connection -which costs money. I can't seem to get it to use the home wifi no matter what I do. It was much easier getting apps to use wifi on my N95.

Also.. I gotta update to v12.. can I do that through Ovi suite?

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »
    First post here..

My widgets keep insisting on using my Meteor ISP connection -which costs money. I can't seem to get it to use the home wifi no matter what I do. It was much easier getting apps to use wifi on my N95.

Go to menu > settings > connectivity > destinations > internet > and then select your wlan ssid as priority 1

Also.. I gotta update to v12.. can I do that through Ovi suite?

No, you can use nss. Its a program you download, then you use to change the product code so you can avail of the latest updates. I have posted a step by step guide before, so if you search you will find it fairly quick. If you need more help give me a pm or ask on here. Backup your content using pc suite to be sure, but with the n97 you dont need to, but just do, be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks Davy - I have them set up like that WLAN priority 1, and Meteor data priority 2. Most applications except homescreen widgets use the WLAN. It's so weird. There's no option within the applications to change which connection they use.

Also, NSS isn't working for me, I've uninstalled, reinstalled., updated to the latest version - i'm on vista. It says critical components missing or something, and reinstalling doesn't help.

I'll try again !

Download nss from here: Link

Vista shouldn't be causing you problems, im using it fine, unless your using an old version?

1. Connect the phone, do your backup with nokia pc suite just encase.
    2. Then open nss and click the search button, top right corner.
    3. Now should show your phone.
    4. Then click 'Phone Info' tab.
    5. Enter the new product code in the box on the right to replace the old one.
    6. Then mark “Enabled” and click on “Write” button.
    7. Your product code should now be changed.
    8. You can search for the phone again, and click read to confirm the code has been changed correctly.
    9. Now update your software using FOTA or using software updater app in nokia pc suite :)

Nokia n97 product codes: RM-505
    (**this isnt for N97 mini, send me a PM if you have the n97mini**)

0570817 EURO Black
    0576350 EURO White

Latests version available: Version: 22.0.110

Thanks again, I've a nice V12 now. No issues during the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

got mine yesterday , not really into it been honest

In that case i'll give you a fiver for it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I just installed the Nokia Suite on my PC and paired it with my N97 using Bluetooth. All grand.

However, frequently, too frequently when I do stuff on the suite (like send a text message) it pop ups on my phone asking if I want to "Accept Connection request from my PC". I've paired it. I don't remember it needing constant confirmation from my old Nokia 6300.

Does anybody know how to tell it to trust my PC and stop asking me?

However, frequently, too frequently when I do stuff on the suite (like send a text message) it pop ups on my phone asking if I want to "Accept Connection request from my PC". I've paired it. I don't remember it needing constant confirmation from my old Nokia 6300.

Does anybody know how to tell it to trust my PC and stop asking me?

Menu > settings > connectivity > bluetooth > click on the paired devices tab > click on the pc connection > options > select 'set as authorised'

Menu > settings > connectivity > bluetooth > click on the paired devices tab > click on the pc connection > options > select 'set as authorised'

Well obviously :D
    Thanks for that. That's much better.

Again, even after updating, the phone continues to attempt to connect to my meteor connection or my home wifi, 60 seconds after disconnecting it.

I've turned off all wifi connections, set to never connect, disabled all widgets. It still does it. The only way to stop it is to delete all my access points!

I've turned off all wifi connections, set to never connect, disabled all widgets. It still does it. The only way to stop it is to delete all my access points!

That a mistype? Im not having this problem. When you say disable all widgets, are you removing them completely or going options > offline, and then the phone is still connecting? If so its something else in the backround connecting like email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

is there a stylus with the n97 ?

samhail wrote: »

Yep. But you don't need it at all. It's an annoying thing that you can tie onto your phone. I've had mine a month now and haven't used the stylus since day one.

pic18.jpg

i use the stylus on my 5800 alot... its not that kind of stylus right ? i saw some chunky rectangular thing in a photo on google.

edit: thats the stylus i saw alright... ack :(

You can get your own,, like a DS style one, or just use a pen thats close by ;)

Haven't used the official one myself either

• Advertisement

You can get your own,, like a DS style one, or just use a pen thats close by ;)

Haven't used the official one myself either

Nah I don't use a pen either. Put away your pens and stylus for a day and use your fingers (the added bonus there is you'll always have those handy :) just maybe not clean).
    You won't go back. Some of the scrolly bars are a little bit skinny but you'll get used to them and a lot of menus will scroll down anyway if you just put your finger in the middle of the screen and drag it down or up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just wondering lads - looking at upgrading my N95 ....
    ..... is the battery life pretty decent in the N97?

I would be a fairly heavy user for internet/texts and calls - not really too bothered with the other apps (although its mainly through my own ignorance that I don't use them - not really into them, find most of them gimmicky)

Should I hold out for the release of the N97mini or the N900 ? ...phone prices traditionally drop at the end of January - I have no problem waiting till them - also the influx of Apple IPhones (Vodafone and other networks) should mean prices will be slashed on all other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

PCPhoto wrote: »

I would be a fairly heavy user for internet/texts and calls - not really too bothered with the other apps (although its mainly through my own ignorance that I don't use them - not really into them, find most of them gimmicky)

Should I hold out for the release of the N97mini or the N900 ? ...phone prices traditionally drop at the end of January - I have no problem waiting till them - also the influx of Apple IPhones (Vodafone and other networks) should mean prices will be slashed on all other phones.

The battery life is ridiculously good compared to the N95. I used to have to charge the N95 every night but the N97 is lasting 2 to 3 days. I'm using the phone as my mp3 player in work and after a full day of listening to music, answering a few emails in the evening and a few calls & texts, it's only losing 1 bar. I'm very impressed with it.

If you're looking for an internet tablet, get the N900.....otherwise I'd recommend the N97. With the v2.0 firmware coming very soon, it's going to be a very good phone (not that it's not good on v12 firmware).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

It might be necessary to make a distinction here: Possibly better than an N95.
    Definitely worse than the battery life on my N95 8GB.

I can't compare it to the N95 as I didn't have one. I get on average about 3 days use. That's with a fair bit of FM Transmission and MP3, a couple of hours of wifi per day, and some phone calls.

The N97 comes with 3 charger cables.
    1: Standard power cable - Use this whenever you can.
    2: USB power cable - OK in an emergency but takes aaaaages to charge.
    3: Adapter to allow you to use old style Nokia adapters - Same note as the USB one.

I was using the adapter for the old style Nokia and thought the battery life was crap. It turned out you need to leave it plugged in for a really long time if you're not using the proper power cable.

That a mistype? Im not having this problem. When you say disable all widgets, are you removing them completely or going options > offline, and then the phone is still connecting? If so its something else in the backround connecting like email.

Email was connecting and syncing in the background. That's what it was. Even though I chose 'exit' the app kept running, so Tools>Go offline did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

FW 12.0.026 Is available for O2 branded N97s

Took mine of charge monday morning bout 6 fully charged, now wed at 7pm and i have 3 bars left of the 7 in total. I have been busy so not a huge amount of messing with it, but plenty of calls and texts, and some internet and email few times a day.

I am using a program on it called 'Battery extender' which id say is helping it.

whats the frame that holds the screen away from the keyboard like ? how sturdy is it ?
    one of the buys said it felt a bit flakey as if he thought he might break it off ?

• Advertisement

whats the frame that holds the screen away from the keyboard like ? how sturdy is it ?
    one of the buys said it felt a bit flakey as if he thought he might break it off ?

Disagree completely. The mechanism is very strong imo, hasn't been under doubt like the n95 silder was!

Advertisement