Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

:confused:

With the n97 mini, is there a way to choose a default profile for when it connects to a bluetooth carkit (Nokia CK-7)? It seems to just stay on 'General' but I'd like to set up a specific one for when it's connected to the carkit (ie. the right levels for ring tone, alerts, etc). This was always possible with previous Nokias I've had but I just can't seem to figure it out with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I bought a N97 last october. I sold it beginning of November. Couldn't stand the device.

Incredibly slow, clunky, ancient OS. Would get even slower if you had a few apps open. Web browsing was a painful experience, I never used such a slow, frustrating browser.

I wanted to like it, I really did. Gave it a chance, waited weeks for the "super-firmware" that included flick scrolling, but it was still the same. I couldn't believe I spent so much money on a victorian era mobile. Sold it for a €200 loss and bought an iPhone 3Gs. I haven't looked back since.

Unless Nokia start using a better, more modern OS, and start giving their N series handsets some serious hardware specs instead of essentially going backwards like the did with the N97, I will never touch a Nokia smartphone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

:confused:

With the n97 mini, is there a way to choose a default profile for when it connects to a bluetooth carkit (Nokia CK-7)? It seems to just stay on 'General' but I'd like to set up a specific one for when it's connected to the carkit (ie. the right levels for ring tone, alerts, etc). This was always possible with previous Nokias I've had but I just can't seem to figure it out with this one!

If you go to Menu>Settings>Profiles.....click on the profile you want and it will give you the option to personalise it. Can't believe I'm giving advice here!!!

If you go to Menu>Settings>Profiles.....click on the profile you want and it will give you the option to personalise it. Can't believe I'm giving advice here!!!

Thanks - I understand that bit alright. What I want to do is no matter what profile I'm in, once I connect to the carkit it automatically goes to a pre-determined profile.
    For instance, if I'm in an outdoor profile before I get into the car where everything is at it's max, I don't want to get the sh1te scared out of me when the phone rings through my car stereo at 150dB!!:eek:
    I've had Nokia phones and Nokia handsfree / bluetooth car kits for years and I've always been able to select a 'default handsfree' profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

Thanks - I understand that bit alright. What I want to do is no matter what profile I'm in, once I connect to the carkit it automatically goes to a pre-determined profile.
    For instance, if I'm in an outdoor profile before I get into the car where everything is at it's max, I don't want to get the sh1te scared out of me when the phone rings through my car stereo at 150dB!!:eek:
    I've had Nokia phones and Nokia handsfree / bluetooth car kits for years and I've always been able to select a 'default handsfree' profile.

Try
    Menu > Settings > Phone > Accessories > Wireless car kit and select the profile

• Advertisement

plu wrote: »
    Try
    Menu > Settings > Phone > Accessories > Wireless car kit and select the profile

:o

I just KNEW it would be somewhere glaringly obvious! Cheers plu!

On another note, just took my phone out there to check that and noticed it had mysteriously turned itself off even though it has an almost full battery.....weird... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Hope someone can help I have a flashing message sign on top right keeps flashing even though I have opened up all my msgs - still there when turned it on and off- any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Check the messages on the sim rather than saved to the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

with nokia messaging, when i receive an email it dosent show the little email icon on the main screen, it just makes a new email alert tone

no icon to display a new email, anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

BArra wrote: »
    with nokia messaging, when i receive an email it dosent show the little email icon on the main screen, it just makes a new email alert tone

no icon to display a new email, anyone have any ideas?

Not sure why the icon isnt coming up. Maybe put the email widget on homescreen instead if your stuck. If u have auto retrieve email on instead of retrieve header it could be thinking the email is read maybe?
    I have mine set to retrieve header only so maybe someone else can shed some light.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Check the messages on the sim rather than saved to the phone

Stupid Question but how do i do that?

Another question- when I go into Maps for example it automatically connects to Meteor WAP even when I have WIFI on and I am picking up my local WLAN- how do i set it to ask me whether I want to connect through the WLAN- I did check the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Stupid Question but how do i do that?

Menu > messaging > options > sim messages

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Another question- when I go into Maps for example it automatically connects to Meteor WAP even when I have WIFI on and I am picking up my local WLAN- how do i set it to ask me whether I want to connect through the WLAN- I did check the settings.

Menu > settings > connectivity > destinations > internet

Then set your WLAN saved connection as priority 1

Davy wrote: »
    Menu > messaging > options > sim messages

Menu > settings > connectivity > destinations > internet

Then set your WLAN saved connection as priority 1

Got rid the flashing message that is great!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

that @ symbol has never shown for me and iv used the app for months now. If you figure this out id be impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Is there a decent internet radio available for this phone? I miss the one I had on my n95!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superhoopess

hey not sure if this is in the right place.

does anyone know how to unlock the n97 from vodafone so i can access the ovi store etc?
    bro bought the n 97 from vodafone, but didnt suit him as he is more of a blackberry business user. so im using it with my Three sim, i can make calls texts etc but cannot access the apps as it is set up for vodafone.
    any ideas?
    really want to stay with three as they have the best coverage for when i travel.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

I have managed to drop mine a few too many times now and the hinge has gotten quiet loose. Is there any way to tighten it?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

hey not sure if this is in the right place.

does anyone know how to unlock the n97 from vodafone so i can access the ovi store etc?
    bro bought the n 97 from vodafone, but didnt suit him as he is more of a blackberry business user.

Sorry I can't help with your query, but I'm interested to know what your brother believes the blackberry has that the N97 doesn't?

His gain is your loss I guess. Assuming you can unlock it.

steelbar wrote: »
    I have managed to drop mine a few too many times now and the hinge has gotten quiet loose. Is there any way to tighten it?

There probably is, but I'd say fonemenders is your best bet. They replaced my German keyboard and firmware for a UK one. Cost a tenner.

Going for three-in-a-row, but thought I'd share my recent N97 experience...

I went to the cinema in the afternoon last week and before it started switched my phone to "offline" mode, thinking that's better than switching off.

Unfortunately I forgot about the reminder alarm I had set for 2PM. I *hate* phones going off in the cinema, so I was quite embarrassed it was me this time.

Knowing I had another alarm set for 3PM I switched it completely off ASAP.

Of course, some of you will probably know this doesn't stop the alarm from going off, so again I suffered some embarrassment at that time when it went off again.

Looks like the only way to disable this phone (if you have alarms set at least) is to either disable each alarm or take the battery out.

Lesson learnt for me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Going for three-in-a-row, but thought I'd share my recent N97 experience...

I went to the cinema in the afternoon last week and before it started switched my phone to "offline" mode, thinking that's better than switching off.

Unfortunately I forgot about the reminder alarm I had set for 2PM. I *hate* phones going off in the cinema, so I was quite embarrassed it was me this time.

Knowing I had another alarm set for 3PM I switched it completely off ASAP.

Of course, some of you will probably know this doesn't stop the alarm from going off, so again I suffered some embarrassment at that time when it went off again.

Looks like the only way to disable this phone (if you have alarms set at least) is to either disable each alarm or take the battery out.

Lesson learnt for me. :o
    Well it would be kinda pointless to have an alarm function on a phone if it didn't go off when the phone was turned off! A lot of people turn their phones off at night but still have the alarm set to go off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

cant you put it on silent and the alarm wont go off ?

samhail wrote: »

I dunno. You tell me. Does the alarm go off in silent mode? I had thought offline mode would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

why would i tell you ! :)
    i just made a suggestion - if you want to follow it up then do.

you are able to assign different tones and volumes etc, to the offline mode.

samhail wrote: »

No, the alarm will still ring. I always turn my phone to the 'silent' profile and switch it off when I go to bed but it switches itself on to sound the alarm. All my Nokias have done this actually (currently using N97 mini).

I actually like this function as I don't like my phone on during the night. The only reason I switch it to 'silent' is so when I switch it on in the morning that annoying Nokia start-up tune doesn't wake the kids up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

how yiz
    ive searched the mini for the 2 separate memory's and i cant find them
    i wanna see which is the default storage for the phone i.e the phone memory or the mass memory thats on the phone

there is no sd card in this

also is there any way to sort the freezin issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

moggser wrote: »
    how yiz
    ive searched the mini for the 2 separate memory's and i cant find them
    i wanna see which is the default storage for the phone i.e the phone memory or the mass memory thats on the phone

there is no sd card in this

also is there any way to sort the freezin issue?

There seems to to be no general "change default to ....". But if you want to store all you Messaging, TV, onto the Mass Storage (8Gb)
    Go to Menu->Videos&TV->Options->Settings and change the Preferred Memory
    The same can be done for Messaging Menu->Messaging->Options->Settings->Other

Or Go to Menu->Settings->Phone->Application Settings-> Video&TV OR Messaging

I could not find how to change the Photos to the Mass Memory. There is no SD card. This can be purchased to add additional storage for Music

The Freezing screen can be helped by closing down applications that you have open. When you are using the e.g. Music player and press the red button, this does not close the Application, but hides it. To check, press and hold the white/grey Menu button, you will see a list of open applications and close them as required.

Also check you have the latest software (latest Mini V11.0.045) Enter *#0000# to ge the software version. If you have v10. Use the Nokia Software Updater. Remember to backup your phone via PC Suite or Ovi before installing the new software.

On the Ovi Store you can download a free App which shows the space available on the storage devices "Memory Status"

batman2000 wrote: »

Also check you have the latest software (latest Mini V11.0.045) Enter *#0000# to ge the software version. If you have v10. Use the Nokia Software Updater. Remember to backup your phone via PC Suite or Ovi before installing the new software.

Hmmmmm, I have v10.0.020 on mine but when I check for software updates it tells me there aren't any. :confused:

I'm on O2 - does the network make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

Batman2000

nice oneinallinanyways all one word yeah

that was the thing i was after and the fones up to date and i knew how to close the apps and that but it froze up on me after a call left it for a while and no change ,had to pull battery out to re boot it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yeah, the network does does matter as there are different product codes for networks (I think), but this software has been around now for about a month. There is a way around (look around page 27 of this thread) by changing the product code, but this may void a warranty if the phone has to be repaired.

Advertisement