Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

just updated to v21 yet it did not delete the music&files stored on the n97 the last time i updated it deleted every thing. F**king phone has a mind of it's own:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

just updated to v21 yet it did not delete the music&files stored on the n97 the last time i updated it deleted every thing. F**king phone has a mind of it's own:D

It has UDP (user data preservation) so its meant to hold on to stuff :) but its always better to do a backup to be sure imho

Davy wrote: »
    It has UDP (user data preservation) so its meant to hold on to stuff :) but its always better to do a backup to be sure imho

i did a back up davy just in case so is v21 the lasted fw i noticed that when i take pictures there seems to be a white light on the picture probely from the flash have you come accross this?

i did a back up davy just in case so is v21 the lasted fw i noticed that when i take pictures there seems to be a white light on the picture probely from the flash have you come accross this?

Ye, sadly its a common problem with the n97. If you look at the camera on the back, you will probably see a few scratches, and these cause the problem.

If you bring it to MPRC they canreplace it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Ye, sadly its a common problem with the n97. If you look at the camera on the back, you will probably see a few scratches, and these cause the problem.

If you bring it to MPRC they canreplace it for you.

Who is MPRC? I brought mine to fonemenders and they wanted 35euros to do it. That's a bit steep to fix a design fault in the device.

• Advertisement

Who is MPRC? I brought mine to fonemenders and they wanted 35euros to do it. That's a bit steep to fix a design fault in the device.

Mobile phone repair company - http://www.mprc.ie/

Mobile phone repair company - http://www.mprc.ie/

Ta. Do you mean they will fix the lens scratch for free?
    How come fonemenders don't do that? It should be covered by warranty.

Ta. Do you mean they will fix the lens scratch for free?
    How come fonemenders don't do that? It should be covered by warranty.

providing the phone was bought here they will fix it FOC if you drop it in to them in the morning they will have it fixed by the afternoon providing they have the parts.

last year i had problems with the gps/phone signal i dropped it into fonemenders who could not fix it,MPRC managed to fix it.

It's a pity they're only in Dublin. I know it's possible to post it to them, but I'd rather not. It's strange how fonemenders don't fix it under warranty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Sometimes when I make calls there is a beeping noise in the background it is pretty loud, when I turn off the phone and turn it back on - it is gone. Anyone else had this prob?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Sometimes when I make calls there is a beeping noise in the background it is pretty loud, when I turn off the phone and turn it back on - it is gone. Anyone else had this prob?

I had this too, if it's the loud and fast beeps. The only thing I did differently when that happened was that I had normal headphones plugged in listening to the radio. Have you noticed the same? I've only used them once so don't know if it's related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I get the little beep every 10 minutes into a call. Handy I suppose if your on bill pay and wanna have a rough idea how many minutes ya have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

right this is buggin the be-jaysis owa me

every second call i get on this yoke the ringtone change's i have my ring tone as one track and thats the way it should stay but its swapping between my tone and the default tone which is the nokia tone

doin me nut in and i know its not the contact thing with the ringtone attctched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

moggser wrote: »

every second call i get on this yoke the ringtone change's i have my ring tone as one track and thats the way it should stay but its swapping between my tone and the default tone which is the nokia tone

I get that every now and again too Moggy - it goes back to the default irritating Nokia ring tune ven though the profile is still the same. I keep ignoring it cos I don't think it's my phone ringing! Bugs me too!

Actually, here are the 5 major problems that bug me about the N97 mini:
    • Doesn't automatically connect to the bluetooth Nokia handsfree kit in the car half the time - I have to go into the bluetooth settings and manually connect it :mad:
    • Battery life is so bad it both sucks AND blows. Also goes from 3 bars to zero in about 5 mins (even though you are not using it!) :mad:
    • Freezes for no reason - usually while trying to hang up a call but happens lots of other times too :mad:
    • Switches itself off randomly :mad:
    • As above, ring tone defaults back to Nokia ring tone occasionally :mad:
    I feel better now that I have that off my chest! :rolleyes:

I have checked for updates but it tells me there are none available despite having v 10.0.020 (I'm on O2 btw). I'd bring it back but I suspect that the replacement would be having exactly the same problems!

I have checked for updates but it tells me there are none available despite having v 10.0.020 (I'm on O2 btw). I'd bring it back but I suspect that the replacement would be having exactly the same problems!

If you unbrand it there might be a newer FW version out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

The same happens to me,and it is very annoyong.I thought mine was the only one that did that.
    Was trying to delete half my text messages with Ovi suite yesterday,and the fecking thing deleted them all. And i dont have a recent enough back up,so they are gone.
    Its starting to freeze alot more these days too.
    Think I will get on to Vodafone and see if I can get a free iphone,even tho my upgrade isnt due till Aug. Mind you,i dont fancy my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

steelbar wrote: »
    The same happens to me,and it is very annoyong.I thought mine was the only one that did that.
    Was trying to delete half my text messages with Ovi suite yesterday,and the fecking thing deleted them all. And i dont have a recent enough back up,so they are gone.
    Its starting to freeze alot more these days too.
    Think I will get on to Vodafone and see if I can get a free iphone,even tho my upgrade isnt due till Aug. Mind you,i dont fancy my chances.

I was getting the same issue with it, and I was on v11. Irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

providing the phone was bought here they will fix it FOC if you drop it in to them in the morning they will have it fixed by the afternoon providing they have the parts.

last year i had problems with the gps/phone signal i dropped it into fonemenders who could not fix it,MPRC managed to fix it.

Hey donkeyballs,
    I bought my phone off someone else so I'm not sure if it was bought in Ireland. Anyway of finding out with imei number or something. I have the white flooding issue on the camera and the gps is ropey sometimes too so i wouldnt mind getting them sorted.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Hey donkeyballs,
    I bought my phone off someone else so I'm not sure if it was bought in Ireland. Anyway of finding out with imei number or something. I have the white flooding issue on the camera and the gps is ropey sometimes too so i wouldnt mind getting them sorted.
    little bit of black marker between the flash and the camera gets rid of the white flooding. Handy little fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

seanybiker wrote: »
    little bit of black marker between the flash and the camera gets rid of the white flooding. Handy little fix.

I seen the video you put up or you copied a good while back but I didn't try it yet. Would hope to get it replaced along with the GPS that seems to be dodgy just to have it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

this is doin me ****in head in

bleeedin yoke wont stay on the ringtone i give it ..seems as if when the slide is
    closed it rings on the nokia tune and when its open it rings on the tone i want it on swear im a smash this yoke

Keith186 wrote: »
    I seen the video you put up or you copied a good while back but I didn't try it yet. Would hope to get it replaced along with the GPS that seems to be dodgy just to have it sorted.

Is there a link to this video? Or pic please?

bleeedin yoke wont stay on the ringtone i give it ..seems as if when the slide is
    closed it rings on the nokia tune and when its open it rings on the tone i want it on swear im a smash this yoke

I'm paying Carphone Warehouse a visit tomorrow while mine is still inside the 28 days replacement period. Betcha the replacement does EXACTLY the same sh1t though! :(

I'm paying Carphone Warehouse a visit tomorrow while mine is still inside the 28 days replacement period. Betcha the replacement does EXACTLY the same sh1t though! :(

Is this the N97 Mini you're having trouble with? I've never had that problem, but mine isn't the mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I seem to have something similiar to this actually, but the opposite to yours when its open it rings on nokia.

Try changing the video call to the same tone in your profile. I just done it there so will report back

Is this the N97 Mini you're having trouble with? I've never had that problem, but mine isn't the mini.

Yep, it's the N97 mini I have. Also, Moggser is secretly holding me responsible for the problems with his phone because I told him is was great (I only had it a few days at the time and was in the first flushes of love with it)!!:o

I'm going to try get it replaced later today anyway. At the very least I'll be able to satisfy myself that I didn't get a duff one!

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I seem to have something similiar to this actually, but the opposite to yours when its open it rings on nokia.

Try changing the video call to the same tone in your profile. I just done it there so will report back

I have the same problem with mine - I just checked the settings and the video call tone is actually set to 'off'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this phone.

It hangs for a couple of minutes maybe once a week, and every two or three weeks it locks up to the point where i have to take the battery out and start again.

It's been doing that since about two weeks after i bought it, which was last September.

Soft resets, Hard resets, Factory resets, at most stave off the problem for a few weeks.

The only things remotely unusual on it are Opera Mini and Opera Mobile. It was acting up long before i had either of those on it... and it also locks up using the included browser too.

This evening i had the cheek to listen to music AND text someone at the same time. Screen goes black. Music stutters. Had to remove the battery and start again...

..and the last time i did a factory restore was Monday afternoon.

I know the phone isn't exactly the best thing Nokia ever turned out, but i feel like i've gotten a particularly bad example....

thoughts, comments?

Do i have any comeback on this at all? I have this strong suspicion that dropping it in somewhere to have it looked at 'under warranty' will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Sell it and buy a HTC HD2. The N97 is a total failure. I sold mine after 3 months. Trust me.

• Advertisement

I browse, listen to music/ radio, take photos, use the phone, check emails, watch movie files, make notes/ view files, use IM, set alarms on mine all of the time.
    I frequently use several of the above at the same time.

There is no possible replacement phone for the N97 for what I want it for -and I'm glad to say mine works virtually without issues. (I do reboot every couple of weeks because something has 'stuck', but I don't see that as a problem).

Is this the N97 or the mini you're talking about not_xanthor? Is your phone 'locked'? Is it possible most of these issues people have with the N97 are on locked devices. (?)

...and are you certain you're using the latest firmware?

Apologies if they're dumb questions for you. I don't understand why you would have such problems if the above are 'all clear'. Sorry.

Advertisement