Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im the same as yer man above me. I normally gave a few things open and its grand. Did have a few minor problems but only the same as I had with the n95 8gig I have as a spare, just in case. Charger is gone a little funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

seanybiker wrote: »
    personally I love my N97, what im gonna do is get another top of the range phone in the next while just to see the difference. Whats the most top of the range phone out at the moment. I loves me gadgets so I may aswell go for the best. Saying that, I love my n97.

I'd say the Nokia N900. Vodafone are offering it now. Vodafone have also dropped the N97 for the N97 Mini. The N900 seeme to be a real contender to the iPhone and has the flaws of the N97 fixed with a larger CPU, RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this phone.

It hangs for a couple of minutes maybe once a week, and every two or three weeks it locks up to the point where i have to take the battery out and start again.

It's been doing that since about two weeks after i bought it, which was last September.

Soft resets, Hard resets, Factory resets, at most stave off the problem for a few weeks.

The only things remotely unusual on it are Opera Mini and Opera Mobile. It was acting up long before i had either of those on it... and it also locks up using the included browser too.

This evening i had the cheek to listen to music AND text someone at the same time. Screen goes black. Music stutters. Had to remove the battery and start again...

..and the last time i did a factory restore was Monday afternoon.

I know the phone isn't exactly the best thing Nokia ever turned out, but i feel like i've gotten a particularly bad example....

thoughts, comments?

Do i have any comeback on this at all? I have this strong suspicion that dropping it in somewhere to have it looked at 'under warranty' will achieve nothing.

Hi not_xanthor,

Can you check what firmware the N97 is and can you claify if it's the N97/ N97 mini.

Also check this post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

seanybiker wrote: »
    Im the same as yer man above me. I normally gave a few things open and its grand. Did have a few minor problems but only the same as I had with the n95 8gig I have as a spare, just in case. Charger is gone a little funny though.
    I browse, listen to music/ radio, take photos, use the phone, check emails, watch movie files, make notes/ view files, use IM, set alarms on mine all of the time.
    I frequently use several of the above at the same time.

There is no possible replacement phone for the N97 for what I want it for -and I'm glad to say mine works virtually without issues. (I do reboot every couple of weeks because something has 'stuck', but I don't see that as a problem).

Is this the N97 or the mini you're talking about not_xanthor? Is your phone 'locked'? Is it possible most of these issues people have with the N97 are on locked devices. (?)

...and are you certain you're using the latest firmware?

Apologies if they're dumb questions for you. I don't understand why you would have such problems if the above are 'all clear'. Sorry.

I used to be like you guys. I was all for the N97 and I was always with Nokia until I got a HD2 and I couldn't believe the difference between the two phones. It's like a Ferrarri and fiesta. Even Nokia themselves admitted the N97 was a failure so you couldn't argue with them.

www.google.com/m?client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&q=nokia+admits+n97+failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

batman2000 wrote: »
    Hi not_xanthor,

Can you check what firmware the N97 is and can you claify if it's the N97/ N97 mini.

Also check this post

Full size N97.

Firmware: 21.0.045

Which, i think is current, or the last one. Firmware updates have never made any difference to the frequency of the problems i mentioned earlier.

As for what's usually open, both browsers, weather widget, sms, sometimes music player. The only thing there that my N95 didn't have is the weather widget, and i don't recall that phone ever hanging on me.

All i can see is that Nokia turned out a sub-standard phone, Vodafone approved it, and nobody can be held accountable for it.

I'm also skeptical that having it 'looked at' will achieve anything either.

BTW: If i sound like i'm having a go at people who are trying to help, was not my intention. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I used to be like you guys. I was all for the N97 and I was always with Nokia until I got a HD2 and I couldn't believe the difference between the two phones. It's like a Ferrarri and fiesta. Even Nokia themselves admitted the N97 was a failure so you couldn't argue with them.

www.google.com/m?client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&q=nokia+admits+n97+failure

Hm. I don't know the specifics on that phone or many others, but I do know that the N97 is the only phone I've seen with 32GB+ hd space and a full keyboard.

I've waited 15+ years for this phone, I have it for over 6 months now and it hasn't left me down.

I don't really care about any other phones. They don't have what I'm looking for.

I do feel bad for people who seem to be having unfixable problems with their N97. That is unacceptable I agree, but to push other phones with less features as "better" is comparing apples with fish.

Full size N97.

Firmware: 21.0.045

Which, i think is current, or the last one. Firmware updates have never made any difference to the frequency of the problems i mentioned earlier.

As for what's usually open, both browsers, weather widget, sms, sometimes music player. The only thing there that my N95 didn't have is the weather widget, and i don't recall that phone ever hanging on me.

All i can see is that Nokia turned out a sub-standard phone, Vodafone approved it, and nobody can be held accountable for it.

I'm also skeptical that having it 'looked at' will achieve anything either.

BTW: If i sound like i'm having a go at people who are trying to help, was not my intention. :-)

You may have tried it already, but the first thing I'd do in your situation is switch off all widgets. They're useless and only drain the battery.

Even if you do want to know what the weather is at all times and you have no access to a window (and I agree it should work since it is a feature, but...) disable it. If only for half a day or so. Reboot after doing so. See if you are still having the problems you describe.

Also, you mention vodafone above. I assume this means yours is a vodafone-locked device? Well, speaking as an owner of an unlocked N97 (and there are many others on here and elsewhere) I can assure you I have none of the issues you're experiencing.

I've heard rumours that vodafone will unlock it if you push them hard enough (citing these lack of problems by everyone else). Alternatively, you can pay someone like fonemenders (I think) to unlock it for you. But I agree you shouldn't have to pay if the thing isn't working properly.

In all, if you can't get it to work I agree you're only choice is to bring it back for a refund.

You may have tried it already, but the first thing I'd do in your situation is switch off all widgets. They're useless and only drain the battery....

Also, you mention vodafone above. I assume this means yours is a vodafone-locked device? .......

^ I'll try the widget thing. Bought it pretty much as soon as it released, so there was never any Vodafone branding on it.

^ I'll try the widget thing. Bought it pretty much as soon as it released, so there was never any Vodafone branding on it.

So how'd you get on?

Doesn't make a lick of difference unfortuantely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I was travelling around the UK during the weekend and found a handy tip with the GPS.

I have the data assisted option turned off because I'm on a stupid business plan that costs a fortune for data.

I've always assumed the GPS is crap on these phones. If you turn on the GPS and then start moving it never seems to find a satellite (I was driving around Manchester totally lost looking for our hotel around 11pm. Great fun). I thought that was just the phone being crap and I'd have to live with it.

However if you turn on the GPS and leave it sitting still for about 5-10 minutes it'll find a satellite signal and then it can guide you. I figured that out while driving to Wales. Two hours of trying to find a signal with no luck but when I stopped for a coffee and came back to the car it had found a satellite. That worked for me every time I tried it after that.

I'm sure somebody is going to tell me that's in the manual but I didn't know that and now the GPS is reliable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

Any body figure out the reverting back to the
    default ring tone issue

I'm sorry to say that this fine has been a let down with allthese
    bugs flaws in it and from Reading some of our probs
    it seems over all that they never sorted the previous probs
    from the 97 they just carried them over to the mini instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I get that every now and again too Moggy - it goes back to the default irritating Nokia ring tune ven though the profile is still the same. I keep ignoring it cos I don't think it's my phone ringing! Bugs me too!

Actually, here are the 5 major problems that bug me about the N97 mini:
    • Doesn't automatically connect to the bluetooth Nokia handsfree kit in the car half the time - I have to go into the bluetooth settings and manually connect it :mad:
    • Battery life is so bad it both sucks AND blows. Also goes from 3 bars to zero in about 5 mins (even though you are not using it!) :mad:
    • Freezes for no reason - usually while trying to hang up a call but happens lots of other times too :mad:
    • Switches itself off randomly :mad:
    • As above, ring tone defaults back to Nokia ring tone occasionally :mad:
    I feel better now that I have that off my chest! :rolleyes:

I have checked for updates but it tells me there are none available despite having v 10.0.020 (I'm on O2 btw). I'd bring it back but I suspect that the replacement would be having exactly the same problems!

Just an update on my N97 mini problems.

I brought my phone back last week and exchanged it for a brand new one (thanks to CPW and their 28 returns policy!:)). I have now had the new phone a week and NONE of the above problems are plaguing the phone (YET!). I had experienced all of the problems within a couple of days of getting the last one so I hope that maybe the one I got was just a total lemon.
    I hope that's the end of my N97 mini-moaning now..........and I hope I haven't just put the mockers on it by posting this! :p

That's good to hear Rogue-Trooper. Congratulations. :)

...Possibly your problems were related to some 'rogue app' that got on and infected your older phone. (?)
    Who knows.

Anyway -be careful what you put on it or how you link up with other devices/ sites.

That's good to hear Rogue-Trooper. Congratulations. :)

...Possibly your problems were related to some 'rogue app' that got on and infected your older phone. (?)
    Who knows.

Anyway -be careful what you put on it or how you link up with other devices/ sites.

No, I'm not an app-junkie! The only one I run is the Accu-weather one. I hadn't downloaded anything onto the old one (or the new one for that matter).
    What's also interesting is that the Carphone Warehouse branch that I went into said that mine was the first N97 mini they had taken back in with a complaint! They said that they had experienced lots of returns with the older N97 but not the mini. I had assumed that they would have had lots back at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I found SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 on the internet and have it running on my SE Satio, its very smooth, I had it on my Xperia X1 before and really liked it.
    Not all the plugins work yet as 3.5 is just a beta version, but they should be fixed whenever 5.0 is released.
    I think its better than Handy Shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lads how do i go about downloading just say the times/indo onto the phone while on wifi but want to read the article later on while not connected to wifi/3g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

vodafone should be shot at the amount of branding the N97mini has and there are so many things i could not do like the latest update and maps and a few other things ! There should be a law against too much branding !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

gcgirl wrote: »
    vodafone should be shot at the amount of branding the N97mini has and there are so many things i could not do like the latest update and maps and a few other things ! There should be a law against too much branding !
    O2 are just as bad :(

Thankfully unbranding it is a cinch.

gcgirl wrote: »

They should be shot for going near the N97 at all.

Worst phone i've ever had.

Stopped just short of flinging the @#%$@$ thing down the #@$@W$ stairs this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

why so :pac:

Davy wrote: »
    why so :pac:

Just a mite more calm about it now. :)

All the same problems i mentioned already in this thread, only they seem to be getting more and more pronounced.

I'm getting rid posthaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

The touchscreen has stopped working - I have turned it off a few times and still no luck. Then I am getting system error then - anyone know how to fix it?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    The touchscreen has stopped working - I have turned it off a few times and still no luck. Then I am getting system error then - anyone know how to fix it?

If it's an EU phone the most straightforward solution may be to take it to a service center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

If it's an EU phone the most straightforward solution may be to take it to a service center.

Yep I have had to bring it back and now back on my old N95 until it gets repairs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Anyone tried the latest SportsTracker from the Ovi Store ? It's been neglected for ages but the new version seems superb, I especially love the OpenStreetMap integration, happy days !

Been experiencing a strange problem with my N97 mini over the last few days on and off. When I try to open a new text or email, or sometimes when I try to reply to one, I get an error message that reads "Messaging: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again". I also sometimes get the same message except it says 'General' instead of 'Messaging'.

Now I have feck all messages in my inboxes and I don't have any applications open when I try to do this. The only way to get around it seems to be to switch the phone off and on again.

Any ideas? Apart from a few photos and a few videos I have nothing on the phone that could constitute a full memory (there's 8Gb in it FFS!!) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

anybody having any issues with the n97 freezing if the alarm is left on? seems to be happening quite a few times which im not happy about. Had mine since December without any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

Been experiencing a strange problem with my N97 mini over the last few days on and off. When I try to open a new text or email, or sometimes when I try to reply to one, I get an error message that reads "Messaging: Memory Full. Close some applications and try again". I also sometimes get the same message except it says 'General' instead of 'Messaging'.

Now I have feck all messages in my inboxes and I don't have any applications open when I try to do this. The only way to get around it seems to be to switch the phone off and on again.

Any ideas? Apart from a few photos and a few videos I have nothing on the phone that could constitute a full memory (there's 8Gb in it FFS!!) :confused:

yeah get yore self a big ****ING hammer and knock the bollix owa it cos thats wht im a do with mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I'm so glad I sold mine a few days ago on ebay. After using my new HTC HD2 I will never use Nokia again. If someone pays €300-€400 they should be getting something alot better than that.

NOKIA N97 = TOTAL FAILURE

Advertisement