Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My email widget had disappeared from the home screen, I've no idea how it happened, but I can't figure out how to get it back. I've tried Options>edit content>options>add content, but the email option doesn't seem to be there.
    Also, I had my email set to retrieve automatically, and it disabled. Not sure if the two are connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

My email widget had disappeared from the home screen, I've no idea how it happened, but I can't figure out how to get it back. I've tried Options>edit content>options>add content, but the email option doesn't seem to be there.
    Also, I had my email set to retrieve automatically, and it disabled. Not sure if the two are connected?

The two arent connected. Are you sure 'email widget' is not on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Hm. I don't know the specifics on that phone or many others, but I do know that the N97 is the only phone I've seen with 32GB+ hd space and a full keyboard.

I've waited 15+ years for this phone, I have it for over 6 months now and it hasn't left me down.

I don't really care about any other phones. They don't have what I'm looking for.

I do feel bad for people who seem to be having unfixable problems with their N97. That is unacceptable I agree, but to push other phones with less features as "better" is comparing apples with fish.
    I'm guessing you've never heard of the Nokia N900. 32GB and a full keyboard except it doesn't run a horribly unsuited and buggy OS. That and the fact it's far more powerful and isn't a nightmare to use.

Davy wrote: »
    The two arent connected. Are you sure 'email widget' is not on the list?

This is wierd, I checked the list again and 'email widget' wasn't on it, I tried to put another app on and it said there was no room on the home screen, and I needed to delete something, so I deleted the email tab, went into list again and there was 'email widget'. Added it and it is blank.
    So it has been on my screen all along but is completely blank, nothing happens when I try to enter it

This is wierd, I checked the list again and 'email widget' wasn't on it, I tried to put another app on and it said there was no room on the home screen, and I needed to delete something, so I deleted the email tab, went into list again and there was 'email widget'. Added it and it is blank.
    So it has been on my screen all along but is completely blank, nothing happens when I try to enter it

You have wanted email tab and widget?

• Advertisement

You have wanted email tab and widget?

sorry Davy, am I confusing things? Widgets/tabs they are all the same to me! :o

sorry Davy, am I confusing things? Widgets/tabs they are all the same to me! :o

I thought you meant having email as a app/bookmark on the shortcut widget, as well as having the actual email widget. Anyway have you got it sorted now?

I thought you meant having email as a app/bookmark on the shortcut widget, as well as having the actual email widget. Anyway have you got it sorted now?

It's on my homescreen so that's a widget, yea? I'm not with all the lingo!

No, not sorted, where first few emails show is completely blank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I'm guessing you've never heard of the Nokia N900. 32GB and a full keyboard except it doesn't run a horribly unsuited and buggy OS. That and the fact it's far more powerful and isn't a nightmare to use.

That might well be, but I stopped looking at it when I saw a picture of what it looks like. It's not awful by any means, but I do prefer the keyboard and tilt on the N97. The N900 also looks a bit chunkier than the N97, but I haven't seen one in the flesh admittedly.

If I didn't have my N97 I'd give both serious consideration, but if I absolutely had to replace mine in the morning I probably wouldn't get anything other than another N97.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

The N900 also looks a bit chunkier than the N97, but I haven't seen one in the flesh admittedly.

It's substantially chunkier.

• Advertisement

If you go to 'edit content', then click on the email widget, then settings, and make sure the email address is setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That might well be, but I stopped looking at it when I saw a picture of what it looks like. It's not awful by any means, but I do prefer the keyboard and tilt on the N97. The N900 also looks a bit chunkier than the N97, but I haven't seen one in the flesh admittedly.

If I didn't have my N97 I'd give both serious consideration, but if I absolutely had to replace mine in the morning I probably wouldn't get anything other than another N97.
    It's not all that bigger than the full size N97. It is massive compared to the N97 Mini though. The OS and user experience that the phone is simply uncomporable to the N97.

It's not all that bigger than the full size N97. It is massive compared to the N97 Mini though. The OS and user experience that the phone is simply uncomporable to the N97.

Right, ta. I'll check it out in more detail in a few years' time if/when I'm ready to change.

If you go to 'edit content', then click on the email widget, then settings, and make sure the email address is setup.

When I did that nothing happened. So I tried the trusty, 'turn it off and on' and hey presto it worked!!

Thanks for your help :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Over 3 weeks and still not got my phone back :(

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Over 3 weeks and still not got my phone back :(

Where did you bring it? have you got on to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have my phone set up to connect to my wireless internet when I'm at home. But when I'm not at home, everytime I try to connect to the internet, it tries to find my wireless at home, can't, then I can't get on the internet. What's the craic here?

Also, does anyone have a fix for the time thing? The one where you set your alarm for a certain time, but it goes off 3/4 minutes late

I have my phone set up to connect to my wireless internet when I'm at home. But when I'm not at home, everytime I try to connect to the internet, it tries to find my wireless at home, can't, then I can't get on the internet. What's the craic here?

Are you looking to connect via your phone network or another wifi point? If your network, then you need to enter the approriate details to set it up.
    If a wifi spot, there's a wifi/aerial type icon in the top-righthand corner of the screen. Touch that and search for a network or connect to it from there.
    Also, does anyone have a fix for the time thing? The one where you set your alarm for a certain time, but it goes off 3/4 minutes late

I set my alarms 5 minutes early, but the latest firmware update sorted it anyway for me, so now my alarm goes off 5 minutes sooner than I wanted, but I've left it since it means I'm more ready. Usually.

Are you looking to connect via your phone network or another wifi point? If your network, then you need to enter the approriate details to set it up.
    If a wifi spot, there's a wifi/aerial type icon in the top-righthand corner of the screen. Touch that and search for a network or connect to it from there.

Phone network I think. 3G or whatever. What appropriate details though? And would I have to do that each time? Connecting to my home network is great when I can't be bothered opening the laptop etc or just need something quick, but if it means I'd have to constantly change the settings if I want to access the internet away from home, I almost wouldn't bother. Surely if it can't access my home network it should automatically ask if I want to connect to Vodafone ISP or whatever

I set my alarms 5 minutes early, but the latest firmware update sorted it anyway for me, so now my alarm goes off 5 minutes sooner than I wanted, but I've left it since it means I'm more ready. Usually.

I usually have 3 alarms set, because I always forget to hit Snooze (or think I'll get up, then fall back asleep). But the timing on each of them is really erratic. Two of my alarms are 6:55 and 7:00. The past few mornings, I turn off the 6:55 one and almost straight away, the 7:00 one goes off. Haven't update the firmware yet though, forgot all about it. I'll see if that sorts it out

Phone network I think. 3G or whatever. What appropriate details though?

You don't say what you are doing "on the internet". Assuming it's browsing, open the browser,
    select Options,
    select the General Tab,
    Under "Access Point", choose "Ask when needed".

Your vodafone settings are probably set up already if you got it from vodafone. That should allow the phone to access other sources.

If you want to use it for emails or whatever, you should find similar options in those applications -you might need to do it for individual email accounts too if you have more than one, depending on how they were setup.

The firmware via vodafone might be slightly different to the 'official' firmware update. The alarm thing really annoyed me too before updating. Hopefully vodafone will have it fixed too.

• Advertisement

You don't say what you are doing "on the internet". Assuming it's browsing, open the browser,
    select Options,
    select the General Tab,
    Under "Access Point", choose "Ask when needed".

That's the one. Sorry, yeah, I meant when using the browser. When I'd open the browser it'd be on the last page I visited, but if I tried to change to another page or site, it'd try to connect to my home network, fail, and stay on the original page. The above is a good fix though. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I'm seriously pissed off with this thing, it freezes when the alarm goes off maybe even sooner and therefore have to set an alarm clock too.

THe damn thing is supposed to have the latest firmware and this **** happens.

Other issues, whn on wifi it asks you like 5 times are you sure you want to connect, are you sure you want to connect, are you sure you want to connect YESSSSSSSSSS I fcukin am.

I want out, from somebody that has supported Nokia all there life, this is a piss of **** and a failure. somenbody that spends 400 quid on a phone deserves WAYYYYYYYYYYY better. I want a HTC.

anyone want to buy an N97?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Can anyone tell me what is the latest software version for the n97 mini?

I have one from O2 and it's running v10.0.020 (version date 14.10.09).

When I look for software updates it tells me there's none but I know that can't be right......if I could update it I'd be hopeful it could cure all my issues with the phone and I could start to love it again.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

Gar its up as far as 11.something there is something you have to do to update it as its blocked by the network give them a call too ya might be better off unlocking it and debranding it to stop that issue

Can anyone tell me what is the latest software version for the n97 mini?

I have one from O2 and it's running v10.0.020 (version date 14.10.09).

When I look for software updates it tells me there's none but I know that can't be right......if I could update it I'd be hopeful it could cure all my issues with the phone and I could start to love it again.......:(

v11 is the latest. It could be right, because you bought the handset via a phone network and they havent signed up to v11 yet, thats why its happening. To update it, you can change the handsets product code to a sim free model, and then it will let you update to v11.

moggser wrote: »
    Gar its up as far as 11.something there is something you have to do to update it as its blocked by the network give them a call too ya might be better off unlocking it and debranding it to stop that issue

Unlocking it has nothing to do with firmware, thats totally separate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

but if the phone is unlocked and sim free de-branded there is nothing blocking it seeking the soft ware update's like what ya said there been held back because the provider has'nt signed off on it thats what i mean

moggser wrote: »
    but if the phone is unlocked and sim free de-branded there is nothing blocking it seeking the soft ware update's like what ya said there been held back because the provider has'nt signed off on it thats what i mean

Ye, i was just explaining to Rogue-Trooper that he needs to debrand it, but he doesnt have to go and get the network lock removed as its costly for the N97m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

To update it, you can change the handsets product code to a sim free model, and then it will let you update to v11.

Thanks for the info. 2 questions:

1. Will changing the product code affect my warranty?

2. What's the best way to go about doing this? Bring it to a Nokia repair centre or is it easy to do it DIY? I noticed a couple of links in your sig but not for the n97mini. It also didn't seem all that straightforward to a self-confessed tecnophobe!

I'm on my third n97 mini now courtesy of CPW returns policy (replacement handset within 28 days) however all 3 have had pretty much the same problems which, from reading on this thread, could probably be solved with a software update. The staff in CPW, while very helpful, look at me blankly when I suggest that course of action and just hand me a new phone and say 'try that one'!

Thanks for the info. 2 questions:

1. Will changing the product code affect my warranty?

Yes technically, but i dont know of anycase where it was used against someone in a warranty repair.

2. What's the best way to go about doing this? Bring it to a Nokia repair centre or is it easy to do it DIY? I noticed a couple of links in your sig but not for the n97mini. It also didn't seem all that straightforward to a self-confessed tecnophobe!

Its the same for mini and the n97, just a different code. Its the exact same steps. The code depends on what model and colour you have. You can bring it to a repair shop and they will do it for you also if you prefer.

I'm on my third n97 mini now courtesy of CPW returns policy (replacement handset within 28 days) however all 3 have had pretty much the same problems which, from reading on this thread, could probably be solved with a software update. The staff in CPW, while very helpful, look at me blankly when I suggest that course of action and just hand me a new phone and say 'try that one'!

lol, well its a lot more than others get at times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Anyone have any ideas for me?
    I have an N97 mini with FW 10.0.020. I can’t even remember the original product code anymore but it’s an Irish O2 branded phone.
    Anyway I’ve changed the product code using NSS three times and still can’t install the latest FW.
    At the minute the product code is: 0580188
    Using the phone’s “software update” the phone tells me that there’s a new FW to update to and I must use a pc to install it. However, when I connect to Ovi suite it tells me I’m up-to-date. When I try using NSU, that’s “unable to find device”.

NSU is version 2.5.1 which I have uninstalled and reinstalled.
    Ovi Suite is version 2.1.1.1

Any help or suggestions at all would be great

Advertisement