Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Slide is one of the most solid sliders I've used, I've no doubts about it's durability. Battery life isn't too bad either and I'm using the thing all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Got this phone yesterday. Loving it so far

Only problem so far is when I connect to my computer. The Ovi suite thing says that I'm using the wrong cable (even though I'm using the USB cable that came with it), and any time I try doing anything with the phone it starts trying to install MTP drivers. I downloaded these drivers from Microsoft but havent had a chance to install it yet. Will this fix the problem?

Also, I have the phone connected to my Facebook. Does this mean the phone is constantly using the Vodafone internet, or is it just when I actually use the Facebook app. I only have a 500mb data bundle so don't want to be using the internet the whole time. I used the previous advice in this thread about setting the web preference for my home network when I'm there, so thats grand

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I find one side of my slide a bit dodgy....if you look behind it you'll see its attached by 2 supports at the bottom of the device but only 1 at the bottom.
    The bottom one is quite shakey & can be moved back & forth....bit of a pain in the arse to be honest, rang my local nokia service point & they said it cant be tightened as the unit is all the one but surely there must be a screw somewhere that could be tightened up a bit to stop the shaking....anyone any experience with taking them apart know if this is true or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

From this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055704419

there's a new browser out. It seems quite nippy on the N97.

http://boltbrowser.com/home.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Have had my N97 for about two weeks now.

I really like it but some of the problems i'm having are extremely annoying.

1) Sometimes when I unlock the phone using the slide button on the side of the phone the backlight does not turn on meaning I have to lock and unlock the phone again so that I can actually see whats happening on the screen.

2) The GPS is absolutely brutal, the nokia maps have never picked up a signal for me and having downloaded google map for it the best coverage I have received has been within 200 meters of my position which means it can not be used as a gps unit for my car.

3) Facebook app would be excellent if it worked perfectly. It doesn't.

4) Battery on the phone isnt great, if I use it a lot during the day (ie. watch a video for half an hour, listen to music for a while, use bluetooth to hook up to my car radio etc) it is out of juice come night time, not a huge problem given that I don't mind charging it every night but I can see it becoming a burden if I stay in a friends for a night etc.

5) Connecting to 02 wap is not always successful (I presume o2 have near full coverage in Dublin City?)

6) The most annoying one is that when I get a text message from someone in my contact book it still only gives the number and not the name of the sender.

shoutman wrote: »
    Have had my N97 for about two weeks now.

I really like it but some of the problems i'm having are extremely annoying.

What firmware are you on? I used to have the same problem as number 1. Since I upgraded to V12 it doesn't do that anymore for me.

For 2 do you get the question about it going online when you start the GPS? If I say no it takes ages to find the GPS or doesn't at all. If I say yes it works fine. I've no idea why it needs to go online to get a satellite signal and it's annoying. I installed Garmin XT onto mine and that needs to go online too.

For 4 you should be getting better than that. I charged mine this morning and unplugged around 8AM. Bluetooth has been on all day. Wifi has been on and off a fair bit, I've used the FM transmitter for an hour and I was messing around with the video camera for about 15 mins. My battery has gone down by one bar. Which charger are you using to charge the phone? Don't use any adapters or the USB. I've left them on for hours and didn't get a full charge.
    Edit: Since I typed that I went to bed. I left Bluetooth on and it connects to Wifi every hour to download mail. When I got up this morning it was down to 2 bars so maybe my battery guage is a bit iffy.

For 6 I've no idea. It doesn't do that for me so there's something configured wrong. I can't see any setting that would turn off the names on mine though but what you're getting is not correct.

I'd say the main thing to do would be upgrade your firmware. I saw a post somewhere on Boards saying O2 have V12 now. If not search this thread on how to debrand and upgrade. I bet you're going to come back now and say you're on the latest firmware :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

From this thread

there's a new browser out. It seems quite nippy on the N97.

http://boltbrowser.com/home.html

Which one did you download?

Which one did you download?

I think they're all the same except for the Blackberry one.
    Anyway I downloaded the Bolts2.jad and it worked fine.

Can't seem to play Youtube vids on the inbuilt browser, opera mini or on bolt. Just won't play. Vids seem to load but they don't play at all, tried full screen and normal screen.

Read somewhere that it's a flash player issue with v12 firmware? Hoping v2.0 will fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

lads

does anyone know anywhere that unlocks the n97
    i bought one but is locked to o2

ta'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Got this phone yesterday. Loving it so far

Only problem so far is when I connect to my computer. The Ovi suite thing says that I'm using the wrong cable (even though I'm using the USB cable that came with it), and any time I try doing anything with the phone it starts trying to install MTP drivers. I downloaded these drivers from Microsoft but havent had a chance to install it yet. Will this fix the problem?

Also, I have the phone connected to my Facebook. Does this mean the phone is constantly using the Vodafone internet, or is it just when I actually use the Facebook app. I only have a 500mb data bundle so don't want to be using the internet the whole time. I used the previous advice in this thread about setting the web preference for my home network when I'm there, so thats grand
    i have the same problems with the MTP drivers but so far no fix for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

I deleted all internet access points bar my Wireless LAN connection. Even with the home page widgets set to offline there was still some app connecting every so often to update as I could see the icon top left showing data was being sent / received. This ghost app cost me €7.12 on the first 2 days.Doing this works for me as I don't have a data bundle just the bog standard price plan so i only use the net features of the phone while at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

funkyflea wrote: »
    Can't seem to play Youtube vids on the inbuilt browser, opera mini or on bolt. Just won't play. Vids seem to load but they don't play at all, tried full screen and normal screen.

Read somewhere that it's a flash player issue with v12 firmware? Hoping v2.0 will fix it.

You can't play youtube videos via the browser. Use the Youtube app to play videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

DOH!! 3 phones seem to be a bit sketch.

tried that NSS program, was able to read the phone and all, changed the code to the one you posted Davy, all was looken good. i tried updating the fw from 11 on the phone and it wouldnt get the new version 12.

so, plugged in the usb cable, and tried the sw updater, and it found the new version 12, downloaded the file to the phone, was looken good, and then at the end, even after pc suite said it was successful, and the computer still making the sounds of a usb device connected, the phone is dead, apart from ahte screen flashing white for a sec about every minute think i killed it. :P

beaware fellow 3 users, dont try this at home. :rolleyes:

wreckless wrote: »
    apart from ahte screen flashing white for a sec about every minute think i killed it. :P

I got that too.

You need to give it a hard reset.

Turn off the phone.

Hold Shift + Space + Delete + Power On. Hold all 4 until it starts to power up.
    This will wipe the phone memory. It doesn't wipe the mass memory.

jeez, the things u learn eh!!!

thanks, ill give it a wack anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

wreckless wrote: »
    i tried updating the fw from 11 on the phone and it wouldnt get the new version 12.

so, plugged in the usb cable, and tried the sw updater, and it found the new version 12, downloaded the file to the phone, was looken good, and then at the end, even after pc suite said it was successful, and the computer still making the sounds of a usb device connected, the phone is dead, apart from ahte screen flashing white for a sec about every minute think i killed it. :P

beaware fellow 3 users, dont try this at home. :rolleyes:

Its not just because its a 3 branded phone. Sometimes you have to do the hard reset, which should do the job no problem, and thats why i said do a backup as step number 1 ;)

If you have any more problems just send me a pm or post here

Otacon wrote: »
    You can't play youtube videos via the browser. Use the Youtube app to play videos.

When I open the Youtube app - it just opens my web browser on the youtube mobile website.

Is that it? mobile vids?

Nevermind, I downloaded another version of the app and it's playing videos now.

N97 Firmware V20 not due til end of OCT:

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&message.id=58421#M58421
    I am not sure about the origin of the above but what I can say is that the schedule is incorrect.

We are for sure putting the N97 PR2.0 out for public download as soon as possible. PR2.0 will be a major overhaul of the PR1.x baseline. In fact, there is so much new stuff included that we will first introduce PR2.0 via NSU. The schedule for PR2.0 is still not verified, but I'd expect to find the open market versions being distributed by the end of this month (this is not a promise). You will be notified of the new SW availability via myNokia (are you a member yet?) and the in-built SW update application on your N97, which will notifiy you about new firmware releases in NSU and/or FOTA as well as core application updates such as Maps etc.

FOTA updates to PR2.0 will follow in due course.

I know that there is a lot of anticipation for this release and therefore we are putting an extra effort to ensure that your update experience will make it worth the waiting.

• Advertisement

sweet, that worked witha little finger contortion

its removed file that were useful for the 3 handset, such as their 3 widget or app for my3.

i have another handset and was wondering if there is a way to get the file off if it and install it on my phone? tried looking in the pc suite, but cant copy it, tried googling but nothing. is there any file manager apps that might work?

thanks

My N97 isn't charging today. It's been on 3 bars since this morning, now it's two. I've had it in for hours now. Tried charging it while switched on and off and nothings working. The white light appears on the handset next to the USB port and it says 'Charging' on screen and the battery meter does it's little charging animation but the batterys draining.

Is it a software issue? Guess it'll have to be a hard reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

My N97 isn't charging today. It's been on 3 bars since this morning, now it's two. I've had it in for hours now. Tried charging it while switched on and off and nothings working. The white light appears on the handset next to the USB port and it says 'Charging' on screen and the battery meter does it's little charging animation but the batterys draining.

I have that problem on low battery from time to time, charging it with USB for a few minutes, then back to the normal charger and it works fine... weird though

Dubal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

This may sound like a stupid question, but it has to be asked:

Are you using the included charger, or did you plug another Nokia charger into the adapter.. initially i did the later, and charging was slowwww!

xanthor wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question, but it has to be asked:

Are you using the included charger, or did you plug another Nokia charger into the adapter.. initially i did the later, and charging was slowwww!

I was in work when I posted this and I was using the included adaptor with an older Nokia charger (the small one). This looked like it was working - and it was for the first few days I had the handset- but then I noticed the battery going down, so it wasn't charging.

When I got home I plugged it into the proper charger that comes with the phone and it started charging properly.. phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Anyone know wheres the cheapest place to buy a usb cable for the N97 online.... preferably on an Irish site???

Cheers

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    Anyone know wheres the cheapest place to buy a usb cable for the N97 online.... preferably on an Irish site???

Why does it need to be an irish site?
    Did you not get a cable suppiled with the phone?

This is the cable from an irish site: Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Hey all,

So I've got an N97 on a Vodafone monthly contract. Thing is, it keeps connecting to the 3G and GPRS networks unbeknownst to me, which is costing me 16cent every time it does so. Now I've set it to "Always ask" when connecting, and changed the settings in those apps which I think might be doing it, and I've removed Facebook and AccuWeather from the homepage also. I even disable the homepage apps and set them to offline mode when I'm leaving the house and my Wifi Lan.

Anything I'm not doing that will stop it from ever connecting to the 3G or GPRS connections without my permission?

Many Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Jon,

I had this problem with my N97 also it cost me €6.50 in the first 2 days just updating apps. I did everything you mentioned but there was still some application I couldn't find connecting regularly while away from home.My solution was to simply remove all access points other than the Wifi Lan. This suits me as I am on the basic package and don't have any data addons.
    JonThom wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I've got an N97 on a Vodafone monthly contract. Thing is, it keeps connecting to the 3G and GPRS networks unbeknownst to me, which is costing me 16cent every time it does so. Now I've set it to "Always ask" when connecting, and changed the settings in those apps which I think might be doing it, and I've removed Facebook and AccuWeather from the homepage also. I even disable the homepage apps and set them to offline mode when I'm leaving the house and my Wifi Lan.

Anything I'm not doing that will stop it from ever connecting to the 3G or GPRS connections without my permission?

Many Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, I'd use 3G once in a while when out and about to check bus times etc., so I'd rather not delete the Vodafone ISP settings completely.

I've removed all apps that require connections to the internet from the home screen. (Accuweather and facebook). It's not longer giving me the option of "Set home page to online mode", so fingers crossed that means it won't try connecting itself anymore.

Advertisement