Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Jon,, email, nokia messaging etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

When I had that problem, I found it was Nokia messaging synching with my Gmail inbox every 60 seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

where can I get the native skype client ? Fring is sh1t

zod wrote: »
    where can I get the native skype client ? Fring is sh1t

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/mobile/

• Advertisement

For the N97.

An official one for the n97 isn't available yet but you can use different versions or nimbuzz etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lads im having problems transfering my itunes libary over to my n97

i have tried the nokia music suite were 5 out of 10 songs only transfer over i even set the n97 as a mass storage device still no joy im trying to transfer about 3000 tracks over.

another problem i have is when i transfer my pics&vids over using nokia life blog the pics are not in order i.e a picture i took last week will be with pictures from six years ago.

another problem got up this morning and the phone would not pwr up so i did a reset problem is im trying to download the 3 settings when i enter the web address i get a message saying web no gateway reply for the 3 ireland site yet i can go onto boards no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Davy wrote: »
    An official one for the n97 isn't available yet but you can use different versions or nimbuzz etc

Which versions can you use. I tried the Nokia N800/N810 version and it wouldn't install.

Davy wrote: »

Nimbuzz and Fring are sh1t for calls (imo) .. in Feb they said it would be integrated ??

Also in the browser .. everytime I want to go back to the last page, I click back and it brings up this picture of the last page and when you click it .. it reloads!

This is slow and truly annoying .. how do you just go back quickly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

V12.0.26 firmware available now (again) for 0585162 (or UK unbranded) phones!

I guess V2.0 is still some time away. Does anyone know what changed in V12?

• Advertisement

Hi Guys
    I started a software update on my N97 and it said it may take 15 mins or so and not to unplug the device.
    Its been over half an hour and I'm beginning to freak out.
    Had it frozen or should I wait.
    BTW update was to version 12
    Cheers

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Nimbuzz and Fring are sh1t for calls (imo) .. in Feb they said it would be integrated ??

Also in the browser .. everytime I want to go back to the last page, I click back and it brings up this picture of the last page and when you click it .. it reloads!

This is slow and truly annoying .. how do you just go back quickly ?

You can't! Biggest weakness of Nokia's browser! Cache/history handling is ridiculous! Get Bolt or opera mini.

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Which versions can you use. I tried the Nokia N800/N810 version and it wouldn't install.

N800/810 use Maemo OS... You need a version for symbian S60 5th - or maybe a version for s60 3rd might work? No idea, really. But forget about n800 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Hi guys thinking of getting one of these. i have a nokia 5800 at the moment and happy with it. is it worth my while upgrading?

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I started a software update on my N97 and it said it may take 15 mins or so and not to unplug the device.
    Its been over half an hour and I'm beginning to freak out.
    Had it frozen or should I wait.
    BTW update was to version 12
    Cheers

HB

Well the damn thing finally updated :)
    Just wondering if anyone has managed to get SymTorrent working?
    I install it but then when I try to download a .torrent file with Opera Mini, if shows an error. I think its becase the browser sees the .torrent file as having a filesize of 0kb.
    Is it just me, or do others have this problem!!
    Cheers

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Hi N97 owners,

I have the N95 an have had it since 2005 have to say its the best phone I have ever had. I love it.

Going to get the N97 and have ended my monthly contract with 3. I am looking to sign up with Meteor as they seem to be doing the best deal for the €50 I willing to spend each month. Thats the N97 for €269 and 500 mins with 500 texts. I dont think anyone else beats that atm.

Just looking at their website and the tech specs of the phone. Its saying that it only has 8GB of memory!!! Sounds like a bit of a sting if its a 32GB phone!!

Has anyone thats like the N95 upgraded to the N97? an if so whats your thoughts?

Thanks anyway for reading an looking to know what yous think.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭pah

I'm also looking at changing from N95(8GB) to N97. Should get one unlocked on ebay.co.uk for under £300GBP if I'm patient. I am currently signed up to Vodafone Simply €20 p/m with free vod to vod calls & texts always plus 100 min/100 texts to all others. sweet as 3/4 of my contacts are with vodafone. I'm also just after getting the vodafone live 500MB addon.

What I'm wondering is when I have the N97 and If I were to have facebook/email live on the homescreen what sort of data amounts will be downloaded. does anyone know? @500MB a month I reckon keeping it under 10 MB a day would give me 200 MB to spare for other things. Any info would be appreciated.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Hi N97 owners,

I have the N95 an have had it since 2005 have to say its the best phone I have ever had. I love it.

Going to get the N97 and have ended my monthly contract with 3. I am looking to sign up with Meteor as they seem to be doing the best deal for the €50 I willing to spend each month. Thats the N97 for €269 and 500 mins with 500 texts. I dont think anyone else beats that atm.

Just looking at their website and the tech specs of the phone. Its saying that it only has 8GB of memory!!! Sounds like a bit of a sting if its a 32GB phone!!

Has anyone thats like the N95 upgraded to the N97? an if so whats your thoughts?

Hey

I upgraded from the N95 (brilliant phone imo) to the N97.

I didn't feel that it was enough of an upgrade from the N95.. Felt like an n95 with touch screen sort of tacked on.

Now others will tell you different.. I do like what they've managed to fit in and it's pretty slick looking alright. V20 fixed a lot of the issues I had too but I felt like I was wanting more from it.

Had to charge it daily if not more too. Memory size was very good for music though, wifi handy, internet browser decent.. crashes a bit though. (all this stuff is found in the N95 also)..

Wasn't worth the extra cash for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Hi N97 owners,

Best place to answer this would be on their forums, or even better in a meteor store
    pah wrote: »
    I'm also looking at changing from N95(8GB) to N97. Should get one unlocked on ebay.co.uk for under £300GBP if I'm patient. I am currently signed up to Vodafone Simply €20 p/m with free vod to vod calls & texts always plus 100 min/100 texts to all others. sweet as 3/4 of my contacts are with vodafone. I'm also just after getting the vodafone live 500MB addon.

What I'm wondering is when I have the N97 and If I were to have facebook/email live on the homescreen what sort of data amounts will be downloaded. does anyone know? @500MB a month I reckon keeping it under 10 MB a day would give me 200 MB to spare for other things. Any info would be appreciated.

Pat

i doubt you would come close to 10mb/day
    the on screen display would only display the header, from, subject... perhaps the first few lines (at most). If thats 1k worth of data... which is loads, then you would have to get alot of email.
    same with face book.
    i have a 250mb bundle and for the past month i have only used 12mb and i have gmail online all the time and do a bit of surfing now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭pah

That sounds like I can keep my data down, which is good cos I just got an 97 New from ebay UK for €330 unlocked and delivered from a really reputable seller. SWEET

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Hi N97 owners,

Keep your N95 and your money ; N(ightmare)97 is a massive disappointment moving from N95 as i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

I think i may have a lemon.

From new, phone was locking up about once a week. Shrugged my shoulders in the hope that FW 2.0 would fix it.

It didn't.

After the FW update it froze again, so i did a hard reset. It's froze again yesterday, and just now the keypad unlock switch failed too.

Is there any point dropping it into fonemenders?

I'm starting to think the Razr V3 has a challenger for the dubious title of
    worst phone i've owned yet.

Oh, and inspite of my best efforts i cannot get Opera Mini to work over anything other than Wi-FI.

Input on either would be most welcome :-)

xanthor wrote: »
    After the FW update it froze again, so i did a hard reset. It's froze again yesterday, and just now the keypad unlock switch failed too.

I think formatting the mass memory is a good idea, as the hard reset doesn't do that. Ofcourse your apps will be gone thats the downside but thats what i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

does anyone have bad signal on the phone ?
    just got mine today and i have 0 bars where i should have 3 or 4 at least compared to my 5800.
    just googled it and alot of people seem to have this problem...
    now i find out !

samhail wrote: »
    does anyone have bad signal on the phone ?
    just got mine today and i have 0 bars where i should have 3 or 4 at least compared to my 5800.
    just googled it and alot of people seem to have this problem...
    now i find out !

I had my vodafone-branded one only a couple of days, but reception was not one of the probs! In fact, in some dodgy places it got by better than my e71....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

xanthor wrote: »
    Oh, and inspite of my best efforts i cannot get Opera Mini to work over anything other than Wi-FI.

Does your in built web browser work on anything other than Wi-Fi?

Try this
    >Setting
    >Application mgr
    >Installed apps.
    >Opera Mini 5 Beta
    >Options
    >Suite Settings
    >Access Point
    >None or O2/vodafone/whatever internet

Mine is set to None but it works with wifi when available and O2 internet when out and about.

hi all im on my 2nd n97 apart from the mp3 player the phone is the worst nokia i have had.
    the gps never worked even after updating to v 2.0 the kinetic scrolling is good though, other problems i have is i can not connect to free wifi zone(web no gateway reply).
    also since i updated when i check the conectivity VF irl comes up even though im with 3 irl any ideas?.
    and my final problem is the photo album i have pics that i took 7yrs ago(with the 1st nokia camera phone)that are getting mixed with pics from a few a months ago its very annoying.

all ideas/suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Anybody else finding the radio extremely fuzzy?I thought it was just my headphones but replaced them and its still the same.

SeamyH wrote: »
    Anybody else finding the radio extremely fuzzy?I thought it was just my headphones but replaced them and its still the same.

mine is fine one of the few things that work have you tried to listen to another station could be the reception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Yes,tried other stations and they all sound fuzzy.The stations are 98fm,q102 and fm104.But really it's the only major problem I'm experiencing.Aside from the radio issue I'm quite happy with the device.

Advertisement