Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Hi there,

After following the instructions in link below (as posted elsewhere, thanks OP) I have a couple of questions,

http://winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/

Can someone explain please ,what sip/voip account I need to set up ? Is it possible to make voip calls out on n97 with a standard skype account ie just a login name and password account and no dedicated skype number. ?

Thanks in advance

**EDIT : After ALOT of reading :) managed to sort it out, setup account with 'Voipcheap.com'(however it would appear 'Jumblo' is cheaper) and used the following link for settings, OP reckons his settings are incorrect but worked for me.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56678

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

I dropped my n97 into Fonemenders on Tuesday!
    it was experiencing low memory(c:) then updated to v20 firmware then few hours later it restarted and came up with the "Phone failed at startup. Contact Retailer". So anyway I dropped it in to see if they could fix that and replace the lens cover and lens (scratching issue)

Anybody else have the phone fail at startup error?
    Their 10 day estimate for repair seems very quite long! Has anyone else dealt with them, if so how long was your wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i just tried to do an OTA update on my euro black product code (which has 20.0.19 available seemingly) and it didnt upgrade.

think i might hold off trying to update to see if anyone else has any bad stories.
    how much is it gonna cost to get fixed can you let me know please ? just as a matter of interest.

I charged my battery over night friday night and it only lasted until about 3pm i think.
    plugged it in at about 7pm last night, and it was still charging this morning at 9am... i dont want this to happen again ! i just want to put that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

samhail wrote: »
    i just tried to do an OTA update on my euro black product code (which has 20.0.19 available seemingly) and it didnt upgrade.

Why dont you use ovi/pc suite to upgrade?

In case it messes up my phone like it did to roarlad... when i was doing the OTA i was like i dont want to do this... i dont want to do this... please not mess my phone up... please not mess my phone up...

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    In case it messes up my phone like it did to roarlad... when i was doing the OTA i was like i dont want to do this... i dont want to do this... please not mess my phone up... please not mess my phone up...

:D oh i see, dont update then,, just pretend it doesn't exist! If your happy enough, and dont want kinetic scrolling leave well enough alone i guess

ah i probably will later on try later on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Ugh. My N97 is refusing to boot up. Turned it off last night, as I usually do, and this morning it stays stuck on the white N97 loading screen, or turns itself off. Won't even boot to charging screen when plugged in. I tried hard resetting 3 times with no luck.

:(

EDIT: Hard reset worked a 4th time...lost all my data! Bah!

On a lighter note, iSync plugin is out now for OSX!

Hopefully you had a backup of your stuff, is the iSync plugin for Nokia ? (not a mac head :))

i updated to v20 through nokia suite and it looks good so far.

dont really use the kinetic scrolling though so probably wont make much of a difference to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i have finally left my n97 into nokia for repair gps/maps never worked could not get 3g coverage(vodafone 1 kept coming up).
    where as my n73 had full signal with 3g coverage i hope they can get a fix for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

Right then, i got my n97 recently. People are recommending I put all of the apps onto the mass memory and not on the phone memory.

My question is, is there any way of moving the ones already pre installed onto the mass memory or would I better off just deleting them and reinstalling?

Thanks

alfaz wrote: »
    Right then, i got my n97 recently. People are recommending I put all of the apps onto the mass memory and not on the phone memory.

My question is, is there any way of moving the ones already pre installed onto the mass memory or would I better off just deleting them and reinstalling?

Isn't a way that i know to move them, and plus it will help free up some of the precious phone memory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭pah

alfaz wrote: »

Thanks

Definitely use mass memory. you can't move them because the installed files don't show up on the phones browser and you can't edit where the application shortcut is pointing to to run the program like on a pc. I did a hard reset after i got my phone and upgraded to v 2.0. i think i uninstalled some apps and others were removed by default.

check the settings in all your apps some of them have the option to choose where to download/install files. Clear your browser cache daily.

This is what i've done since i got the phone 10 days ago and I seem to be able to keep the free space on C: just above 55MB which means about 17MB in use. it makes the world of difference.

The only thing I would consider installing on phone memory is perhaps a ring tone or theme that I would want to keep working while the mass memory was in use via USB.

I bluetoothed some old files from my N95 and they were stored in my messages inbox before I saved them this seemed to eat into the c: memory I haven't checked out if there's a setting to change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Mr.S wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick question.

Do you have to use the qwerty keyboard when texting, or can you use the touchscreen too?

You can use both.

Thanks.

Would you go for a 16GB iPhone or this phone? I can get both for pritty much the same price give or take a few €, but can't seem to choose between them. On spec, the N97 is obviously better, but the iPhone has the lovelly OS and app store.

The iphone has a lot more feedback and user base to improve it. The n97 still has plenty of room to improve. As the n95 got poor reviews after first launch, it will take time for the n97 to be really loved. Its definitely not as quick as an iphone.

Thanks.

Would you go for a 16GB iPhone or this phone? I can get both for pritty much the same price give or take a few €, but can't seem to choose between them. On spec, the N97 is obviously better, but the iPhone has the lovelly OS and app store.

I used to own an iphone but i never really liked it, probably due to it's web browser when out and about. It always ran pretty slow unless I had a wifi connection. That was pretty much my only fault with it. It has nice apps and nice touchscreen.

I now own a N97 and I'm very happy with it. I've got the opera mobile browser on it (which you can't install on apple phones) and it's pretty fast for browsing even with an edge network.

Both great phones but I'd lean towards the N97. If you check out reviews about them on youtube it should help you make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

anyone know of a good place to get the N97 unlocked and as cheap as possible?

cheapest I have found is this from a reputable seller on ebay, works out about 430 euro?

Whats the phone like in terms off an audio player? good/bad?
    its good i have about 4000 songs saved on my one so i dont need to go around with an ipod classic&mobile phone at the same time.

as davy said it has room for improvement im on my 2nd one at the moment i reckon i have just been unlucky with the two handsets i got signal&gps problems

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Opera Mini Beta Version Does anyone else have trouble with the DPAD bascially not working at all and radio buttons not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Alarm is driving me mad.

Either i'm doing something very stupid, or it just wont repeat every 24 hours.

Opera Mini continues to be an absolute disaster in terms of working over nothing but WiFi.

Whats the phone like in terms off an audio player? good/bad?

Sound quality is decent. Some may contend the music player is a bit spartan feature wise.

• Advertisement

DRice wrote: »
    Opera Mini Beta Version Does anyone else have trouble with the DPAD bascially not working at all
    xanthor wrote: »
    Opera Mini continues to be an absolute disaster in terms of working over nothing but WiFi.

Try this one instead

www.opera.com/mobile/next

xanthor wrote: »
    Alarm is driving me mad.

Either i'm doing something very stupid, or it just wont repeat every 24 hours.

I have my alarm repeating on work days so never tried the 24 hours one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭pah

sonic.trip wrote: »
    anyone know of a good place to get the N97 unlocked and as cheap as possible?

cheapest I have found is this from a reputable seller on ebay, works out about 430 euro?

Got mine for £280 (€310) 2 weeks ago. New unwanted upgrade in perfect condition, unlocked.

I spent a week trawling through listings but set myself a limit of £300. placed a few bids but never over the £300. In the end I found a listing to "buy it now/best offer" for £300. I offered £280 and it was accepted.

I had been looking at auctions that were ending, hoping to snap one up at the death but they all seemed to go for £320+. In the end I reversed the way I was looking at the listings checking out items that were "Newly Listed" and "Buy it Now" only. The one that I got had only been listed for less than 12 hours. This is a good way to get a better deal but don't make a silly offer of £200 because it won't be accepted. There were 2 offers on the phone before mine that were not accepted, probably because they were way too low. Be realistic and you could get a good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I used to own an iphone but i never really liked it, probably due to it's web browser when out and about. It always ran pretty slow unless I had a wifi connection. That was pretty much my only fault with it. It has nice apps and nice touchscreen.

I now own a N97 and I'm very happy with it. I've got the opera mobile browser on it (which you can't install on apple phones) and it's pretty fast for browsing even with an edge network.

Both great phones but I'd lean towards the N97. If you check out reviews about them on youtube it should help you make your mind up.

That would be your data network or a faulty something. Mine is perfect on wifi and 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

gpf101 wrote: »
    That would be your data network or a faulty something. Mine is perfect on wifi and 3G.

What do you mean? He was pretty clear, saying 'edge', i.e. Not 3g/wifi! If you are suggesting the iPhone's Safari is faster on edge/2g than the N97 using Opera Mobile 10 or opera mini, you are not being honest!
    I had an iPhone 3g, I currently have an iPhone 3G S and an e71. Safari without 3g/wifi is useful only for mobile sites at best.

I'm not saying Safari is a bad browser allround, but I too believe Apple should allow opera into the appstore. A lot of people do not have permanent 3g or wifi around them. That why we call them mobile phones. The same problem btw in Nokia's webkit browser: flash support and all is impressive until you try and load a heavy page on a 2g connection and suddenly it's the ****t*est browser around. But for S60 you have a wide range of browsers that do the heavy lifting for the phone. Opera mini, skyfire, bolt, Opera Mobile, Ozone etc... I live in 2g country aka Mayo...I use the mobile internet a lot. BUT not ever on my iPhone.

The poster did have a valid point. Someone not familiar with Safari should not be made to believe you can use the iPhone's browser with 2 bars on a 2g connection. You can, sure...but you can also watch paint dry.

Have been having alot of battery issues over the past while, plug the phone in at 7pm and wake up at 7am and its still charging about 60% charged and by 10am of little to no use its back to a bar or two.
    Finally got me thinking when i was watching a movie on it plugged in and it died.

I have been using the old power plug to USB-B convertor that they provided (more to laziness of unplugging the old plug and taking the new one out of the box).
    i checked the power output of the old plug and the new one and there is a little bit of a difference.
    the Old one is like 300mA output and the new one is about 1200mA output... so i have no idea why they give the adapter since the power output will hardly cut it. perhaps in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Is there anyway to sync your N97 to iTunes, to manage music? I'm on a mac, if that makes any difference.

I use iTunes agent and it seems to do the job grand. Easy enough to set up. Adds your N97 as a playlist heading to iTUnes and you can then sync whatever songs, albums etc. to your N97 through that playlist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've two N97s to update. Both have been changed to the same product code with NSS and I updated them to V12 a couple of months ago. I updated one to V2 when it came out and that worked fine. I was looking at the second one this morning and Nokia Sofware Updater say's there's no update available (it recognises the phone and sees V12). When I click the help on that screen it pops web page where you can type in your product code and it says V2 is available for that product code.

Has anybody seen this problem before?

i got my phone back from MPRC they replaced the logic board thing is i dont have the licence for nokia maps any idea,s on how to get it back.
    also i updated to v2.0 via nokia website before leaving the phone in i cannot update now.

• Advertisement

i got my phone back from MPRC they replaced the logic board thing is i dont have the licence for nokia maps any idea,s on how to get it back.

If you open the maps, go to options, then my shop & licenses, and 'my licences' it should refresh and then show you how many days you have left.
    also i updated to v2.0 via nokia website before leaving the phone in i cannot update now.

Check your product code, you may need to change it

Advertisement