Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia n97 Owners Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

my facebook and accu weather widgets on the home screen are not working since yesterday. Both just say loading all the time , fair annoying I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Does anyone keep getting the message tone only to find there is no messages sometimes? this keeps happening a few times a day and don;t know why its beeping. any suggestions?

This is a report I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

Davy wrote: »
    | |
    | |
    | |
    v v

Hi mate where is the link for the changing the product code that was in yer sig??

Also if i change the product code could i change it back to the old one and keep the latest firmware without causing any hardship to the phone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nialloo24 wrote: »
    Hi mate where is the link for the changing the product code that was in yer sig??

Also if i change the product code could i change it back to the old one and keep the latest firmware without causing any hardship to the phone?!

Yes, once you upgrade to the latest firmware, you can repeat the steps by putting your original code back. Technically you are voiding warranty changing the product code, but i haven't heard a case where it was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Does anyone keep getting the message tone only to find there is no messages sometimes? this keeps happening a few times a day and don;t know why its beeping. any suggestions?

might you have Nokia Messaging setup either ? connected in to retrieve your gmail account etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

After looking into this some more and testing it myself, basically I have setup the email app on my N97 to my 2 gmail accounts and when I am at home with my wireless this is causing it to beep several times a day! so its an email notification :D

cheers for the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

wrecked my head for ages !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Dropped my N97 in to a Nokia Service Centre the other day, off to get the GPS & camera lens fixed. 7-10 working days supposedly.
    Probably going to sell it when I get it back and get a Nexus One instead.
    Its a love/hate phone really, some of the things it can do are amazing....then it runs out of RAM ;)
    Anyone sold their N97? How much for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

lafors wrote: »

I sold mine back in oct for €480, you would be lucky if you get €350 for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dropped my N97 in to a Nokia Service Centre the other day, off to get the GPS & camera lens fixed. 7-10 working days supposedly.
    Probably going to sell it when I get it back and get a Nexus One instead.
    Its a love/hate phone really, some of the things it can do are amazing....then it runs out of RAM ;)

I'm gonna sell my N97 too,i'm getting a pain in my arse with it. Figure if i can get 400 Euro for the N97 and the 5800 i have here on adverts.ie it'll cover most of the cost of a Nexus One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

Bought mine whatever day they came out on v/f. but the accuracy of the sat nav was brutal, Had it exchanged for a new one three times (each within the 28 day period) None would function in gps as good as the n95 8gig or the n96. returned it /them for a full refund and got released from my contract. Got a free iphone before christmas and sold it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

.then it runs out of RAM ;)

seanybiker wrote: »
    my facebook and accu weather widgets on the home screen are not working since yesterday. Both just say loading all the time , fair annoying I tells ya.

Built in browser leaves a little to be desired.

Opera Mobile = Decent.

Regular lack of ram messages = Annoying.

Weather Widget is a little patchy too.

Still think the N95 8GB was a better phone. Some teething problems early on, but they got ironed out by Firmware. Not sure there's anything definitively better out there... but i'd be slow to recommend the phone to anyone who doesn't have quite a lot of patience when it comes to gadgetry.

deep1 wrote: »
    I sold mine back in oct for €480, you would be lucky if you get €350 for it now.

I'm inclined to agree. It's pretty much at saturation now, networks have had a few deals on it, and it's 'quirks' are pretty well known at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm gonna sell my N97 too,i'm getting a pain in my arse with it. Figure if i can get 400 Euro for the N97 and the 5800 i have here on adverts.ie it'll cover most of the cost of a Nexus One.
    you';ll have all of it afaik. i'm sure when i checked the google nexus one buy page from work (work web proxy in the US) it said it was available to deliver to the UK for around £360 sim free.

can' check it now cos i'm not at work but i was comparing it to the US Dell small business deal of the n900 for €333 with free US delivery (check my posts on the n900 thread from a few days ago) and thinking i would prefer the nexus one about now myself.

got to go out now for supplies before the snow gets too bad and we can't get to the shops, but i'll see if i can find it when i get back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

vibe666 wrote: »
    you';ll have all of it afaik. i'm sure when i checked the google nexus one buy page from work (work web proxy in the US) it said it was available to deliver to the UK for around £360 sim free.

can' check it now cos i'm not at work but i was comparing it to the US Dell small business deal of the n900 for €333 with free US delivery (check my posts on the n900 thread from a few days ago) and thinking i would prefer the nexus one about now myself.

got to go out now for supplies before the snow gets too bad and we can't get to the shops, but i'll see if i can find it when i get back. :)

I'm gonna see how some of the other posters get on ordering it through a US PO box and US proxy,may go down that road or ebay.

The N97 is really bugging me now,constant RAM messages even though i've only turned the bloody thing on,apps dropping,i'm losing all reason with it now!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

This is something i need to get done - anyone aware if there is a nokia service center in Cork City?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is something i need to get done - anyone aware if there is a nokia service center in Cork City?

Theirs is indeed, fonemenders on patricks quay

Arsed about with mine for a while and its running grand now. Still a little mad at times but 95% of the time its perfect. I use everything on it lol. I still have my N95-8gig as a backup phone incase anything goes wrong with this but I must say I'm extremely happy with the N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

If anyone want to trade for a Hero give me a shout :P

Is anyone using an 8GB + Memory card in it?

rizzee wrote: »
    If anyone want to trade for a Hero give me a shout :P

Is anyone using an 8GB + Memory card in it?

your grand thanks lol.
    Must get a big card for mine just for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Was worth a shot ;) I want to go back to Nokia...

If you do get your hands on a card can you post up if theres any significant decrease in phone speed? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I wanna sell my N97 and get a Nexus One as well.

The USB connector on it broke so I couldn't charge it. Turns out this is irrepairable so I had to claim a new one from my insurance.

So I have a brand new, unbranded phone now.

Where is the best place to sell it, adverts.ie, eBay?

PH4T wrote: »

The USB connector on it broke so I couldn't charge it. Turns out this is irrepairable so I had to claim a new one from my insurance.
    Ya must of giving the phone some smack to break the USB connector on it so hard that its irrepairable.

I was iffing and butting about mine at the start but I've really come to like it so i'll be sticking with it for the next few months anyway:

Just one thing though, I have my wireless connected to my n97 at home so i can browse the net if needed and my email app is setup to my gmail account. Anyway the first week or so i kept getting message sounds when i had no messages and dicovered it was an email alert. I thought it was because when i was at home it was picking up my wireless, but I was still getting these when i'm out and about which is handy enough but most of the time i don't really need it. So basically its eating up my credit using the Meteor WAP, so if i end the packet data connection by long pressing the red call button it ends the connection but yet 10-15mins later its still active.

Anyone know how i end this connection properly until i want to activate the WAP connection myself??

cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

I was iffing and butting about mine at the start but I've really come to like it so i'll be sticking with it for the next few months anyway:

Just one thing though, I have my wireless connected to my n97 at home so i can browse the neet if needed and my email app setup to my gmail account. Anyway the first week or so i kept getting message sounds when i had no messages and sicovered it was an email alert. I still get these when i'm out which is handy but most of the time i dont need it. SO its eating up my credit using WAP, so if i end the packet data connection by long pressing the red call button it ends but yet 10-15min later its still active.

Anyone know how i end this until i want to activate the WAP connection myself??

cheers in advance

Do you use Nokia Messenger for e-mail? This is a great app and can be set to offline mode.

SeamyH wrote: »
    Do you use Nokia Messenger for e-mail? This is a great app and can be set to offline mode.

I use the app with the @ sign that just says email, is that nokia messenger? anyways i went into it, tools > go to offline mode. sent myself an email and nothing, so would that of been causing the constant WAP connection? think its sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

I use the app with the @ sign that just says email, is that nokia messenger? anyways i went into it, tools > go to offline mode. sent myself an email and nothing, so would that of been causing the constant WAP connection? think its sorted.

Yes thats Nokia Messenger.

Just in case also go into Tools>Settings>General>Service Info and set the Access Point as your home LAN. This way you can be sure the phone won't try to use your WAP access point if you ever forget to go offline when out.

cheers for that mate :D

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ya must of giving the phone some smack to break the USB connector on it so hard that its irrepairable.

Didn't give it a hard smack at all. Just a little bit got chipped off the usb port on the phone. I brought into Phone Menders in the GPO Arcade and they said the USB port is soldered to the motherboard and is hence irrepairable if it gets damaged, leaving me with a €500 brick.

PH4T wrote: »
    Didn't give it a hard smack at all. Just a little bit got chipped off the usb port on the phone. I brought into Phone Menders in the GPO Arcade and they said the USB port is soldered to the motherboard and is hence irrepairable if it gets damaged, leaving me with a €500 brick.

ouch, could they not give it an attempt at fixing it? better than having a 500 euro brick

• Advertisement

ouch, could they not give it an attempt at fixing it? better than having a 500 euro brick

Engineer in there said he couldn't fix it. Anyone else know if it is actually possible?

I had insurance with Vodafone so I got another one off that.

Advertisement