Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hill climb up Three Rock

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thanks to Ryan and Melanie for organising this. Was a great evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Never mind the way up - anyone get any good speeds on the way down? My max was 63.8km/h on the way down from my "warm-up" (which itself nearly killed me) - think this is the fastest i've ever been on a bike!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Might give this route a go tomorrow, it's close enough to me. Does anyone have it recorded from a Garmin or anything so I can check it out on BRT to avoid getting lost?

EDIT: Ignore that, saw Ryan's second picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

At Dirk.

The key is when you get to the forest entrance, take it. I (along with 3 others) kept going straight up the road for about 1.5km. MISTAKE.

It is easy just to keep going and not turn into the forest.
    IMO, it is more difficult coming up from the direction of Blackglen road, as there is no flat area.
    The part in the forest (when we finally got there) is great - surface fantastic. Worth a shot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My (shameful) numbers attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

@tonto - what device does that data come from? You haven't bought a bloody garmin have you??? :eek:

Polar CS600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

My graph. You can see that I probably took it a little easy for the first 4-5 minutes. The last 4 minutes averaged at 490W (1900VAM) - basically, I was pegging it at that point. I was not too tired afterwards so I think on a good day (no headwinds etc...) and the right motivation (because it really really hurts) a sub 12 could be in on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Interesting amount of information on the graphs!

Might give this a go depending on what time I get to Tinnock on Saturday for the MTB meet...

Next time I would like to make it - assuming I'm not stuck in work till 1830!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My graph attached.

A pretty substandard effort (10 min peak was 268W last night compared to 304W in the Tour of Louth sportive) but neither my back nor bottom bracket exploded so I'm happy enough.

Definitely another minute in there on a good day, with working gearing (couldn't shift into the 25). Must ride my bike more.

Anyone know where Mr Skeffington went?

edit: Tonto - your avg HR looks very low at 175. Didn't you say you averaged 190-something on the 40km TT? Maybe giving up smokes has unclogged your plumbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Nice (Savage!!) climb. Did'nt care about time, just happy to make the summit. I think the dead badger was travelling faster than me at one point!!

Thanks to Ryan and Melanie for showing us an interesting new route.

Photo at the start attached. Sorry none taken at the top (Shaky hands/Body shattered) so pics would have been crap.

OK.
    According to Mapmyride, the wrong direction taken by Mr. Skeff and friend, spyderski and myself added 1.46km to our journey.

On the basis that my Cateye tells me that I did 5.62km averaging 10.8km (31.2mins), I am claiming a time of 22.5m for the actual climb. This assumes constant average speed of course.

Spyderski, you should also claim a similar time.
    I even think this is being conservative, as we all stopped at one point for about a minute (maybe even 3or4;)) to discuss where we should be going.:D

Anyway, I am tempted to try this again tonite with the correct route to ascertain correct time.

Apart from 1st 0.5km, I felt that I wasnt pushing hard, as I just wanted to finish.
    I was able to speak most of the way up - usually when suffering on a climb, it is all I can do to breathe, let alone speak!!

Lumen wrote: »
    edit: Tonto - your avg HR looks very low at 175. Didn't you say you averaged 190-something on the 40km TT? Maybe giving up smokes has unclogged your plumbing.

I averaged 183bpm on the last TT but I gave up the smokes since. I couldn't get it any higher last night, mostly because my breathing was already very ragged. I'm guessing that not smoking means that I can now get way more oxygen in, so that even breathing as hard as I can I don't need to max out my heart. At least that's what it appears like to my untutored mind.

Can you calculate my power output given that you know my weight, your weight, both our times and your own power output?

el tonto wrote: »
    Can you calculate my power output given that you know my weight, your weight, both our times and your own power output?

If you can do this, can you calc mine also, with the 31m over 5.46km.

Some assumptions:

Ryan: 450W average, 75kg, 7kg bike, 5.49W/kg (incl bike)
    Me: 268W, 69kg, 7kg bike, 3.53W/kg (incl. bike)
    Diff: 323s, 1.56W/kg
    Each second between the two of us takes 0.0048 W/kg.
    Tonto: 1202s, 125s slower than me, 0.6W/kg less, or 2.93W/kg incl. bike.

Assuming 105kg + 8kg bike = 331W

To match my time with your power you need to be about 94kg including bike.

The maths is full of holes but a decent first approximation.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    If you can do this, can you calc mine also, with the 31m over 5.46km.

Do it again without getting lost then give me the real numbers. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Lumen. Even with the rough numbers it makes for interesting reading.

My goal last night was beating/matching you, but going on this I've a long way off it.

Well Raam is about the same weight as me, and extrapolating from the National Hill Climb Champs he would have done it in 14:09, which is almost 4 minutes faster than me.

That's about how it felt on Molls Gap. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well Raam is about the same weight as me, and extrapolating from the National Hill Climb Champs he would have done it in 14:09, which is almost 4 minutes faster than me.

That's about how it felt on Molls Gap. :pac:

only fourth place? :(

That's the great thing about this. There's always some guy ahead of you that you can gun for.

Raam wrote: »
    only fourth place? :(

No, 14:09 would have given you second place behind Ryan.

• Advertisement

No, 14:09 would have given you second place behind Ryan.

Whoops! Thought it was a 24hr clock... or something... leave me alone!

Well I'm pleased to have the same time as a young woman (Cait) on a mahoosive tyred mountain bike. That's a big step up from Kippure when Melanie beat me by well over two minutes.

Perhaps next time Ryan can bring along someone who I can actually beat, like a two year old monkey on a unicycle.

Sure bring the kids next time and send them up.

Sure bring the kids next time and send them up.

He asked for someone he can beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

For anyone wanting to try this some other time, what were the exact start and finish points?
    It would be great to standardise some of these regular hill climbs in terms of everyone timing themselves between the exact same points. Maybe a blob of paint on the road?
    Well done to all last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Greyspoke wrote: »
    For anyone wanting to try this some other time, what were the exact start and finish points?
    It would be great to standardise some of these regular hill climbs in terms of everyone timing themselves between the exact same points. Maybe a blob of paint on the road?

+1 - As I live close by I would also like to give this a try - preferably on my own, under the cover of darkness etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Only thing about doing it on your own is you never seem to give as much welly as when there's a bit of competition.

I did Kippure on my own after the initial time trial and was 3 minutes slower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

+1

I've thought for some time we need a boards designated hill climb route that's easy to access. This one fits the bill perfectly, very little traffic and close to the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

@Lumen - In fairness now, Cait is number two elite MTB in the country and also does very well in Europe :) I don't think the 'beaten by a girl' works in that case ... you've been beaten by a champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Up in Dublin/Dundrum for today and tomorrow....brought the bike (and maybe a slight cold) with me....

So I know what I'll be trying tonight after work :D

In a lot longer than 30+ minutes :o

Well done guys/gals on the organisation and DOING!

Peter

• Advertisement

peterako wrote: »
    Up in Dublin/Dundrum for today and tomorrow....brought the bike (and maybe a slight cold) with me....

Getting the excuses in early, nice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I don't think the 'beaten by a girl' works in that case ...

Its the 'being beaten by a MTB' I think is the problem.

Its the 'being beaten by a MTB' I think is the problem.

LOL. Yes, I'm only messing. It's great to do these things alongside proper cyclists, particularly MTBers for whom road TTs are presumably a bit of a sideshow.

It's just funny in the context of the discussion I was having with Ryan at the top about the utility of weight weenie KCNC brakes and deep section carbon wheels.

Some assumptions:

Ryan: 450W average, 75kg, 7kg bike, 5.49W/kg (incl bike)

Ha, I'm 72.5 at the moment! (Lightest I have been since I was around 15/16 - was a basketball player so weight was good).

Bike + helmet + shoes/clothes - probably closer to 8.5...

The problem for doing power calcs is the two flat sections. Taking those out, my average power was closer to 470W... Depends if you were pedaling or coasting.

This is an easy to use power calculator: http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/wattage/olh.html

Just put in the details for our own climbs...

Hill Climb start: When the concrete footpath ends after you pass under the M50 bridge... About 3 meters after you leave the shelter of the bridge.

Top: Basically as far as the tar goes before it gets really stony... 3 meters (or so - trying to remember) after the signpost on your left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

I got a little lost, I think that I may have been responsible for some of the other lads going the wrong way too, sorry guys ;-) Good fun, its a steep climb, at some points my rear wheel was loosing traction.
    My graph attached.

A pretty substandard effort (10 min peak was 268W last night compared to 304W in the Tour of Louth sportive) but neither my back nor bottom bracket exploded so I'm happy enough.

Definitely another minute in there on a good day, with working gearing (couldn't shift into the 25). Must ride my bike more.

Anyone know where Mr Skeffington went?

Raam wrote: »
    Getting the excuses in early, nice ;)

I think being 100kg and unfit (aerobically :) ) is an even better one :D

There are ski lifts on the way...aren't there....:rolleyes:

Well....I tried.....

I had two goals:

1. Get to the top.
    2. Without stopping....

And I managed both :D albiet at a lot slower pace than you mountain goats!

31 minutes (will download the data tomorrow to have a look).

Started at the overpass (under it :) ) at the start of Taylors Hill and finished just about where the tarmac runs out at the masts.

While up there....praying NOT to have a cardiac arrest, I spotted another brave soul cycling up.

Michael (sorry on my Mother's PC and can't work out the fadas :o),

Pleasure to meet you.....but why did you have to beat my time by so much???

(PM me your mobile and I'll see if I can find the name of that wine shop when I get home tomorrow.)

Will plan on doing this climb agan, and again, when up in Dublin and I get a chance.

The descent was a lot of fun! 70+km/h in parts....the joys of Potential Energy :)

Thanks for planting the urge to tackle the hill (again),

Peter (definitely NOT a natural climber....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

peterako wrote: »
    Well....I tried.....

I had two goals:

1. Get to the top.
    2. Without stopping....

And I managed both :D albiet at a lot slower pace than you mountain goats!

31 minutes (will download the data tomorrow to have a look).

Started at the overpass (under it :) ) at the start of Taylors Hill and finished just about where the tarmac runs out at the masts.

While up there....praying NOT to have a cardiac arrest, I spotted another brave soul cycling up.

Michael (sorry on my Mother's PC and can't work out the fadas :o),

Pleasure to meet you.....but why did you have to beat my time by so much???

(PM me your mobile and I'll see if I can find the name of that wine shop when I get home tomorrow.)

Will plan on doing this climb agan, and again, when up in Dublin and I get a chance.

The descent was a lot of fun! 70+km/h in parts....the joys of Potential Energy :)

Thanks for planting the urge to tackle the hill (again),

Peter (definitely NOT a natural climber....)

Hi Peter.

Great to meet you too.

I've only just got into cycling in the last few months and I must say I've met some great people, very friendly and very helpful.

I didn't beat your time by that much (27:43) and you destroyed me on the descent! :)

And also I had to cheat a little by stopping on the way up, (the HR was up to 185) need to get fitter!!

I'll try and put up my own data when I figure out how to use my Garmin.

Micheál.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Sean Downey 15:21

Is this who I think it is? Sean Downey of Banbridge CC? As seen below:
    sdowney09-2.jpg

• Advertisement

Is this who I think it is? Sean Downey of Banbridge CC? As seen below:
    sdowney09-2.jpg

Nope - Sean Downey the mountain biker.

Proof that Mícheál and I made it......(ignore the 4x4 just out of shot :) )attachment.php?attachmentid=90431&stc=1&d=1252594953

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

That's a serious bloody hill ! Didn't think I was going to get to the top at one stage ! Had a go at it in the dark this evening after the kids went to bed. Managed 22:19 including breaking a spoke costing myself a minute or so while I figured out in the dark what the problem was, and then pulling it out. Ended up with a well buckled wheel too !
    Hey all - here are the times for this evening

Ryan Sherlock 12:34
    Richie Close 15:16
    Sean Downey 15:21
    John (Lumen) 17:57
    Cait Elliot 17:57 (on Mountain Bike)
    Liam 18:14
    Dick 20:02
    Jim 22:36
    Sandra 27:53
    John 31:00 (wrong turn!)
    Damien 32:23 (spyderski) (wrong turn!)

Thanks for coming out too - the weather did not look too good during the day but it was pretty nice when we lined up. I'll put up a HR/Power profile of my ride up the hill tomorrow.

Well done to all for coming out - that is one of the hills I climb a lot so it was nice to introduce the climb to a few of you - we are so lucky to have such a great climb close to the city. Next time... the Cruagh climb? :)

Oh - and let me know if I got any of the times wrong - I missed the signon sheet I had at the start, we had the one Mel had at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

This is a class climb. Just astounded by Ryan Sherlock's time.

Advertisement