Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to complain to?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

For over a month now my internet connection provided by U.TV has been what I term unusable for periods of the day.

I have a 7.6mb connection which synchs at the full speed. Outside of peak hours I can achieve 600-700 KBps and pings are around 30ms mark to Ireland/UK.

All of a sudden one evening I found my pings had spiked to 250ms. Running speedtest shows that my connection speed is 0.8mb download an 0.3mb upload. When I first complained I was moved to the 7.6 (was on 3mb previously) to see if it was any better. It was exactly the same despite lower contention of 10:1

The issue has persisted to this day. U.TV say its most likely an Eircom problem and have raised about 3 tickets, Eircom keep coming back and clearing them saying there is no fault. In their most recent email U.TV suggested they may have to get an Eircom engineer to come to my house to have a look...

I am just losing patience at this point. When it works it works perfectly, that to me indicates its not a fault on my line but the fault lies on whatever system my line connects to. Since the problem occurs out of office hours it seems like some sort of bottleneck.

I understand contention can reduce the speed of a connection but this is making it sub 3G performance which I moved away from the likes of o2 + Three because I needed "real" broadband.

So far I must have sent over 20 emails with ping/tracert and speedtest results. I've been on the phone several times but I don't seem to be getting anywhere...

Any help appreciated.

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Definitely sounds like you have a problem. 2 things to eliminate - you may have already done both:
    1) if you haven't already try and ensure that its not internal wiring etc. Try and plug the modem into the first eircom point in the house.

2) Eliminate wifi - incase you're trying this using a wifi connection plug your PC / laptop directly into the modem. If your neighbor recently got BB and was also on the same channel there could be a lot of interference that would reduce your wifi connection to your modem and affect your connection.

If you've done both of those and you still have a problem then it looks like its a fault - even 7.6Mbps @ 12:1 (not 10:1) should have a semi reasonable connection at peak times and not simillar to 3G. Get U.TV to chase up the fault they should have logged with eircom.

If all else fails I would suggest you tell U.TV that this is not the service you signed up for and therefore if they don't resolve your problem you are entitled to cancel without penalty due to their breach of contract by not providing a useable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Definitely sounds like you have a problem. 2 things to eliminate - you may have already done both:
    1) if you haven't already try and ensure that its not internal wiring etc. Try and plug the modem into the first eircom point in the house.

2) Eliminate wifi - incase you're trying this using a wifi connection plug your PC / laptop directly into the modem. If your neighbor recently got BB and was also on the same channel there could be a lot of interference that would reduce your wifi connection to your modem and affect your connection.

Yeah I have done that. When I test pings I test direct from the router as well to remove any latency between my PC and the router. Also the connection is perfect during the day it only get crap in the evening.

I dont really want to move from U.TV since they seem to be better pricing than the other Eircom resellers. But if they can't provide me with a decent service I don't really have a choice. Dont live in a cabled area.

Not been able to play Left 4 Dead in over 5 weeks now :(

Advertisement