Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing Dog Information

Options
  • 31-08-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondered if people could share their experience on showing dogs. I'm planning on going to a show first without my dog to see what its like.

However, I'm wondering what would I have to train her? I often see pictures of owners standing hold their dog at the head and tail. Does this have to be trained?

Also, how can I get lists of shows etc.? I've contacted the Irish Cocker society and am filling in the application.

My dog may not even be show quality but I just wanted to start gathering some information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

We just brought our dog along to his show with no training for showing at all, mind you now it was a local show not an ikc show.
    We have brough him to 5 more local shows since with no training at all and he has won a prize is all except 1 show.
    We were lucky that our dog stands well himself but we said if we intend to keep showing him that we will try to get his stand improved as we see others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What i would advise you to do is go along to a show with out your dog and see what goes on with your breed, (you cannot bring un entered dogs anyway to a show). All breeds are handled differently, some stack, some bait etc so its best to watch your breed and see what way its done first.

Your dog must be IKC reg to enter IKC shows and it must be over 6 months for all breed shows, some clubs have classes for baby puppies.

Then you should start bringing the dog to ring craft classes, this will get both you and the dog used to what goes on in the ring and the dog being handled by a stranger, best to start this as young as possible.

If you want to know is your dog show quality then bring it to the ring craft class and ask one of the people there that train what they think of your dog, a lot of them are judges so will know if its worth showing the dog or not. It could have a major fault like incorrect bite, and if so then there is no point in showing as the dog will get no where.

Here are some websites that have all the show info:
    www.showdogsireland.com (has all show dates, schedules for shows and results)
    www.dogshowentry.ie (you can enter the shows here, and get results too)

Hope this helps, anymore questions just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

andreac wrote: »
    What i would advise you to do is go along to a show with out your dog and see what goes on with your breed, (you cannot bring un entered dogs anyway to a show). All breeds are handled differently, some stack, some bait etc so its best to watch your breed and see what way its done first.

Your dog must be IKC reg to enter IKC shows and it must be over 6 months for all breed shows, some clubs have classes for baby puppies.

Then you should start bringing the dog to ring craft classes, this will get both you and the dog used to what goes on in the ring and the dog being handled by a stranger, best to start this as young as possible.

If you want to know is your dog show quality then bring it to the ring craft class and ask one of the people there that train what they think of your dog, a lot of them are judges so will know if its worth showing the dog or not. It could have a major fault like incorrect bite, and if so then there is no point in showing as the dog will get no where.

Here are some websites that have all the show info:
    www.showdogsireland.com (has all show dates, schedules for shows and results)
    www.dogshowentry.ie (you can enter the shows here, and get results too)

Hope this helps, anymore questions just shout.

My dog is a cocker spaniel and she is fully IKC registered. Are there ring craft classes around the country?

Yeah, where are you based?

Theres classes in Cloghran, Swords where the shows are held, there are some in Navan too, think theres ones in Limerick as well.

Yeah, where are you based?

Theres classes in Cloghran, Swords where the shows are held, there are some in Navan too, think theres ones in Limerick as well.

I'm on the Cavan Meath border so Navan would be pretty close.

• Advertisement

Ah right, well then the classes run by John walsh in navan would be the best ones to go to.

They are on a wed eve, from about 7.30/8 til about 9, you just go whenever you feel like it, its not a set course or anything, think its about 5 euro and there are usually 3 judges/trainers there to help you and you take turns and each of them go over the dog etc.

With newbies they will go through everything with you and explain what happens in the ring etc. I went there for few months for classes and found them great. Think he does obedience on a sunday morning too.

Ah right, well then the classes run by John walsh in navan would be the best ones to go to.

They are on a wed eve, from about 7.30/8 til about 9, you just go whenever you feel like it, its not a set course or anything, think its about 5 euro and there are usually 3 judges/trainers there to help you and you take turns and each of them go over the dog etc.

With newbies they will go through everything with you and explain what happens in the ring etc. I went there for few months for classes and found them great. Think he does obedience on a sunday morning too.

That sounds good alright. Do you know where he gives the classes? I wouldn't mind getting him to look over my cocker alright. She's 11 months now so would she be old enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

The same woman runs the ones in Kilucan and Navan. We brought one of ours to her for obedience training and it really worked wonders.
    Instead of paying for the training first, why don't you bring your dog along to one of the shows and see what it's like. Maybe even go along to watch not even enter.

Lemlin, do you know the chuch with the big car park in front of it? think theres a market there sometimes, well if you are facing that church theres a little hall to the right of that, has CYMC in red letters above the door, its an old community hall i think, its in there.

If you were coming from cavan you turn right at the lights just before the maxol garage on the dublin side of navan and you just drive up there and that car park is up to the right.

The same woman runs the ones in Kilucan and Navan. We brought one of ours to her for obedience training and it really worked wonders.
    Instead of paying for the training first, why don't you bring your dog along to one of the shows and see what it's like. Maybe even go along to watch not even enter.

I dont think you are talking about the man im talking about. The classes im on about are run by John Walsh.

• Advertisement

Lemlin, do you know the chuch with the big car park in front of it? think theres a market there sometimes, well if you are facing that church theres a little hall to the right of that, has CYMC in red letters above the door, its an old community hall i think, its in there.

If you were coming from cavan you turn right at the lights just before the maxol garage on the dublin side of navan and you just drive up there and that car park is up to the right.

Might give it a try thanks.

I think you are speaking about the woman who does agility classes also.

Advertisement