Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first bike

• 31-08-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭

whats a good bike to start off with. i'v always wanted one since i was a kid. i could never go pass one as a child and i would have to stop and loo at them. i'v also got damage to my right hand were i fell over in work and cut my hand open and did nerve and muscle damage to the hand. i'v not got much power in the hand. i feel i wouldn't be able to do the acceleration. can they be put to the left side of the bike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

cena wrote: »
    can they be put to the left side of the bike.

It could be, but you have to remember that the front break is located on the right hand side as well. Do you have much movement on your right hand ?, enough to pull a lever ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

well my little finger and the one beside are curled in all the time. they well straighten out but they just want to curl back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

well my little finger and the one beside are curled in all the time. they well straighten out but they just want to curl back.

I never even have those fingers covering my levers anyway, index & middle fingers are more than enough to operate 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

you just need the two bigger fingers to pull in the lever anyway, so a little adjustment and you should be fine

thats good to know. so whats a good bike and thats good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Can you ride a bicycle? Can you operate the brakes on a push bike? Motorbike is the same.

Contact an approved instructor near you (do a search on here for some names) and arrange a first lesson. Some instructors have access to closed compounds so you don't even need a provisional license (Richard Thompson in Waterford for example). On your first lesson you can decide whether you can use the controls safely.

I knew a guy in Waterford who had lost his right leg and he rode an XT500. If you want it badly enough...

Go for it - let us know how it goes.

'cptr

yeah can ride a bike. i won't be getting one soon. but some were down the line i well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

thats good to know. so whats a good bike and thats good to know.

Get a lesson on an instructors bike and see if your hand feels ok, If not it is fairly easy to get the controls modified to suite you.

What kind of bike are you interested in? Riding position might effect how your hand feels.

cruiser/custom

Yamaha dragstar 250/650

commuter/naked

Suzuki Bandit 600/650 restricted

sports

Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i'm thinking a sport bike. i don't know much about bikes. i just seen nice bikes yesterday in athlone they were to do with make a wish. a suzuki gsx 1000. are they sporty. i mite go into a bike shop in galway the next time i go in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

i'm thinking a sport bike. i don't know much about bikes. i just seen nice bikes yesterday in athlone they were to do with make a wish. a suzuki gsx 1000. are they sporty. i mite go into a bike shop in galway the next time i go in
    Don't be starting on GSX-R 1000 Cena... IMO it's a bit too much to master at first... I'd recommend something with a little bit less "Oumpf" like a CBR 600 or GSX-R 600.

Either way you'll have to restrict it for the first 2 years of your full license (and you can only apply for a full license if you have 6 months of provisional license behind you...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I would agree with Steffano2002
    You would find it impossable to get a decent insurance quote starting on a GSX-R 1000 too.

Even the cbr600 and GSXR 600 insurance would be high starting off.

I would definitely recommend getting a few hours Training starting with a 600 sports bike and do the insurance assents too to get a discount.

A Suzuki SV 650s might suit you better starting off or you could get a decent Kawasaki zzr 400 fairly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you are near Galway give John Mullen a shout for some lessons. He has several bikes of different sizes and will advise you on your skill and capability.

John - 0868585280

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Is this gonna be a weekend/sunn day bike? or you gonna do some commuting on it? Either way, get the lessons, hire the bike from them, see if your hand is up to handling both the throttle and the brake, cause if you fall off in a testing area, you'll have good gear and someone who knows what to do, lessons first. If you're gonna commute, i recommend a yamaha ybr 125, start small, i have one for 2 years now, and it's a pretty alright bike, it's not a rocket, but it'll do 80-90kph no problem, if you're away from the motorways then this is all ya need.

Advertisement