Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed!

Options
  • 31-08-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Well basically my isp has changed their unlimited package to one with a 20GB cap,They also almost trebled the package speed just for a nice kick in the nuts....

I need to monitor all the traffic as the ISP is not going to supply a monitor on their site so I'm down to figuring it out myself

My Network looks like this:

EF50513BDD1549B18AB58FCB478D9CFB.jpg
    -The 360 is used for live gaming

Now you can see my issue I have 7 internet enabled devices and can only monitor the traffic on four of those,How do I monitor the whole network?
    Thanks for the help all.

Also upload is also capped so something that monitors both

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The ISP really needs to give you some method of monitoring this, if they plan to enforce a cap.

You could get a router that logs all traffic, don't know what this might be, but I'd imagine one exists. Failing that, use an old PC, with two Ethernet ports in it, as a gateway/firewall and get it to record usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

jor el wrote: »
    The ISP really needs to give you some method of monitoring this, if they plan to enforce a cap.

You could get a router that logs all traffic, don't know what this might be, but I'd imagine one exists. Failing that, use an old PC, with two Ethernet ports in it, as a gateway/firewall and get it to record usage.

I know i got some crap story from the tech director that they were planning to look into it,But when i emailed the tech service this morning they said there were no plans to implement it...

It's just stupid i now have to spend more money on my broadband service which is now worse that before either buying a router for like €60 or running an old pc 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I assume since they are going to start charging for overuse then they are capable of tracking it. Failing to provide you with a way to check what your usage is bad form.

Name and shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Replace the Dlink at the modem with either old PIII or Atom board with two network ports and ClarkConnect distro of Linux

OR
    replace the Dlink with a router running OpenWrt Kamakazie. Luci GUI on it has a nice usage monitor. Some Dlinks can even be loaded with OpenWRT.

OR
    Some Dlinks have a Traffic monitor in the Stats page ALREADY!. You need to write down the traffic and reset it each week on the Dlink as it just adds forever otherwise

watty wrote: »
    Replace the Dlink at the modem with either old PIII or Atom board with two network ports and ClarkConnect distro of Linux

OR
    replace the Dlink with a router running OpenWrt Kamakazie. Luci GUI on it has a nice usage monitor. Some Dlinks can even be loaded with OpenWRT.

OR
    Some Dlinks have a Traffic monitor in the Stats page ALREADY!. You need to write down the traffic and reset it each week on the Dlink as it just adds forever otherwise

It has stats but only this:

WAN 694570 Packets 174413 Packets
    LAN 327217 Packets 150076 Packets
    WIRELESS 11g 44449 Packets 49456 Packets

Anyway to transfer packets in kb?:pac: I think not...

• Advertisement

Xcellor wrote: »
    I assume since they are going to start charging for overuse then they are capable of tracking it. Failing to provide you with a way to check what your usage is bad form.

Name and shame!!

They will charge you to get your service back after it get's throttled!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Dlink listed bytes too... oh well,

watty wrote: »
    My Dlink listed bytes too... oh well,

What model have you got out of interest?Might have a look at picking one up used if it measures data

Advertisement