Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orientation

Options
  • 31-08-2009 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

hey im heading into science omnibus.

im timetabled to start my orientation on wednesday..

am i meant to go in today or tomorrow?

i mean for the social stuff?

linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

hey im heading into science omnibus.

im timetabled to start my orientation on wednesday..

am i meant to go in today or tomorrow?

i mean for the social stuff?

linky
    Have a look at the calendar, see if there's anything that applies to you or would like to see. You still have Fresher's Week coming up, in the 2nd week of the semester, which is when it really kicks off with societies etc. In the first two weeks all kinds of things happen, but this orientation week is, well, orientation. I.e. getting to know a bit about UCD and your school before you dive in next week. Even the bits called "compulsory" aren't, really, but are still highly recommended.

Your notions of "compulsory" are about to change: no-one's forcing you to do anything, but many useful things will be offered to you, so you'll have to decide for yourself whether they will be to your advantage. Sometimes it's obvious (e.g. lectures, labs, exams), sometimes not so obvious (e.g. tutorials). If something counts towards your degree, and you don't do it, no-one's going to moan at you: you just don't get the credits. Other times it's a trade-off e.g. do you drag yourself into UCD for a tutorial. You get to decide, from now on.

PS: there's a comedy debate on Wednesday, 1PM, Arts Theatre M: "is an Arts degree worth the paper it's written on? Might be fun ... :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

nah im just going in on thrusday/friday for my orientation. Coming in on wednesday to get a feel for the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

You don't have to, but if your doing nothing else up there(assuming your living there) do go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I wounldn't bother going in today, I'll be looking forward to the bbq etc., on Wednesday maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Elol

Well I'm one ( and probably the only fool) to come in today when I only should thurs/fri, at least I got to know the area, don't know Dublin too well. Only regret for coming so early is that I don't know anyone and every one else seems to have someone to hang out with...oh well may as well head down and check the orientation things like a loner...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

its not that bad on ur own, sure most of the pople there that are joint at the hip wont be doing the same thing, so in some ways ur better off being by ur self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Koala09

Where exactly do i go on my orientation day? I come to ucd and what? where??

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Elol wrote: »
    Well I'm one ( and probably the only fool) to come in today when I only should thurs/fri, at least I got to know the area, don't know Dublin too well. Only regret for coming so early is that I don't know anyone and every one else seems to have someone to hang out with...oh well may as well head down and check the orientation things like a loner...:rolleyes:

Yeah I was kind of the same, everyone seems to know someone :pac:

Maybe that is just me being paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bistrosidecar

I want to go to some of the sample lectures with my friends but I have the misfortune of having a surname beginning with 'W', if I head in with the A-H people will I not be let in or is it pretty casual?

Yeah I was wondering about this since I am an R name.

Do you have to follow the timetable, even though it suits me ok. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JoeyH

Same here. I moved in today because I had to go to the "Laptop Clinic" in Quinn and didn't want to waste petrol driving home only to drive back here tomorrow night. None of my flat mates moved in and my friends are off campus so wont see them till Wednesday. Went to the bar to see if I could get chatting people but no luck. Everyone was in there groups.

JoeyH wrote: »
    Same here. I moved in today because I had to go to the "Laptop Clinic" in Quinn and didn't want to waste petrol driving home only to drive back here tomorrow night. None of my flat mates moved in and my friends are off campus so wont see them till Wednesday. Went to the bar to see if I could get chatting people but no luck. Everyone was in there groups.

Yeah, I studied Journalism in DIT last year with only 20 people in my class. I'll admit that it's easier the first week getting to know people if you're in a small group but in the long run you have so many more opportunities to meet new people in a big course. My advice would be weather through the first week, get some of your friends to go with you to freshers weeks and just slowly involve yourself. It's daunting but it gets much better as the weeks go by, just make sure to join socs and try to ignore the wandering packs of D4 wh*res. :)

It's daunting but it gets much better as the weeks go by, just make sure to join socs and try to ignore the wandering packs of D4 wh*res. :)

I don't want to ignore them I want to take them to bed with me :P :D

I don't want to ignore them I want to take them to bed with me :P :D

Well I suppose we all have our vices in life -orange as they may be... :D

Well I suppose we all have our vices in life -orange as they may be... :D

Ah what can I say I have a thing for blonde oompa lumpas :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

Koala09 wrote: »
    Where exactly do i go on my orientation day? I come to ucd and what? where??
    in the booklet where it gives you the time of your course orientation it should say where
    I want to go to some of the sample lectures with my friends but I have the misfortune of having a surname beginning with 'W', if I head in with the A-H people will I not be let in or is it pretty casual?
    Kournikova wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering about this since I am an R name.

Do you have to follow the timetable, even though it suits me ok. :):)
    not sure but i know if your doing science you can only go the time your given because of the peer groups.
    not sure about other courses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is this for Arts?

From what I can see, the same sample lecture timetable applies to everyone.

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/sl.pdf

Maybe he is referring to the Dean of Arts thingy which is a different times for different surnames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm in a similar situation tbh. Lets go to the bar!!

Ceili sounds like a bit of a laugh and a good enough way to talk to new people, unless everyone is in their own lil groupies for ballai luiimnigh!

Well I think I am getting used to the place, and it's better to be able to find good places to shop (forage) for food.. Btw it's actually kinda funny when you look out the kitchen window in Belgrove and see all the other lost souls (topless men, rapunzel-esque girls, and pot noodle eaters)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I had the study skills lecture today. Feargal Murphy was a bit of a laugh but I was half-asleep by the end.

Is there any point taking a campus tour? I didn't have time today, and tbh if they just lead you around the campus, saying "this is the arts building", "that's the science building", etc, then I think I'll pass.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation tbh. Lets go to the bar!!

Sure why not :D

And I suppose everyone will be shouting out their boards.ie usernames to find each other:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

well im good old logic123 and im moving in tommorow coming from UK, ill be in ROEBUCK hehe

And I suppose everyone will be shouting out their boards.ie usernames to find each other:rolleyes:

Hahaha yeah it would look odd if I was in the bar shouting " FUNGLEGUNK!!! WHERE ARE YOU?!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was up there today to try get free stuff. Went into Daedalus building, but was told to sign into induction course, so had to walk out a minute after entering:D I want a USB key godamnit.

Other than that, it'll be funny seeing some Freshers faces on Monday wwhen the place is literally packed. Arts block today...expect hundreds more milling about the same small areas, and then ye'll get confused again.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I'm not going to library induction and sports orientation on Friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

If ya get lost there's loads of orientation guides floating around the place! We don't bite!:)
    With regards to the campus tours..they're beneficial for ya. Usually take you down to the sports centre and try different things (like lacrosse and boxercise). Tours also go round the Arts block, handy if you're there for most of your lectures/tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

BlackMamba wrote: »
    If ya get lost there's loads of orientation guides floating around the place! We don't bite!:)
    With regards to the campus tours..they're beneficial for ya. Usually take you down to the sports centre and try different things (like lacrosse and boxercise). Tours also go round the Arts block, handy if you're there for most of your lectures/tutorials

I did the orientation as New ERA student, so I think it's just pointless to go again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Sure why not :D

Oops, only seeing this now. Theres always today of course! :D

Advertisement