Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 versus N85

• 31-08-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I smashed my N95 at the weekend and I have insurance with Vodafone. They said they will give me a N85 as a replacement.

I had a look on GSM Arena and the N85 looks inferior to the N95, smaller screen etc. Is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dublin222 wrote: »
    I smashed my N95 at the weekend and I have insurance with Vodafone. They said they will give me a N85 as a replacement.

I had a look on GSM Arena and the N85 looks inferior to the N95, smaller screen etc. Is this the case?

Insist on a replacement - like for like. If they cannot arrange N95, insist on a trade up to N95-8gb. Superb;) handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dublin222

dodzy wrote: »
    Insist on a replacement - like for like. If they cannot arrange N95, insist on a trade up to N95-8gb. Superb;) handset.

Sorry, it was the black 8GB N95 that I had.

They said it has been discontinued and that the N85 is a like for like replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

They said it has been discontinued and that the N85 is a like for like replacement.

While both handsets are similar, the N85 does not have a large amount of onboard memory, so it's not exactly "a like for like replacement", as they stated.

Rsaeire is correct. If they want to play that game, I would insist on the N96 if N958gb was unavailable as this would be a closer match in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If they dont have your phone, arent they meant to give you the next model up?

I wouldn't be happy enough with the N85. Aim for the n97 now that they have it, even if you have to add a sub towards it. Dont let them bully you

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Rsaeire is correct. If they want to play that game, I would insist on the N96 if N958gb was unavailable as this would be a closer match in my mind.

They don't carry the N96 either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They don't carry the N96 either...

You dont want the n96 really, its worse than the n95

Davy wrote: »
    If they dont have your phone, arent they meant to give you the next model up?

They generally do.

Back in 2006, any customers who had their Nokia 8910i insured with Vodafone had the option of receiving a Nokia 8800 as a replacement; at the time, the 8800 was worth about €800. With that said, OP, I recommend you fight them on this. While the N85 is a good phone, the N95 is better and, as such, should be replaced with a comparable handset, e.g. the N97.

Useless bunch. I was always sure that they carried limited stock of items which has been superseeded, the nokia N95 would be one that I would have thought was a popular issue. Spanners..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 linryan

The n95 is end of life. The insurance company would have had some for this kind of occurance but not an unlimited amount. If Vodafone are offering the n85 instead they must have ran out.

The n85 is actually quite a good phone, feature wise there's not much of a difference, and its lighter and slimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

That's harsh. Push for an N86 or an N97, or a sizeable discount off same. Or ask can you source a sim free one yourself and get reimbursed by the insurance company. (If they say yes, pm me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

I am in this exact situation today.

My N95 8GB was badly waterdamaged at the weekend, so put in a claim today.
    asked the guy on the phone what i would get instead, he said n85 which i was unsure about, but went off to research it. Now it seems like a grand phone, similar in many ways to the n95, but i'm wondering if my insurance money is being well served.

I did ask him about me paying something towards an n97 , but he said that they wouldn't do this as it's against their policy.

I've paid vodafone insurance for the last 4 years on two different phones, and been a loyal customer for 8 years, I don't think it's much to ask of them.

Whats the best way for me to argue my case here ?
    argue the storage differences ?
    camera ?
    get down to numbers ( 85 being smaller than 95 ) :-)

any ideas ?

joedumper wrote: »
    Whats the best way for me to argue my case here ?
    argue the storage differences ?
    camera ?
    get down to numbers ( 85 being smaller than 95 ) :-)

any ideas ?
    I'd mention the huge storage difference for a start, as well as the model number difference. I'd leave out any mention of the camera, as the quality between the N85 and N95 would be basically the same.

good point, though i'd imagine they'll say that the n85 comes with an 8GB microsd card.

a tricky arguement me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 linryan

The best way is to argue with the insurance company rather than vodafone, its their policy you need to get around! VF will just go by the insurance proceedure. Ask to be put through to them

Good idea, I'll try that first thing in the morning.

Let us know how you get on Dublin222 ... whatever the result it has to be worth a bit of an argument

They say the N85 is also out of stock so they will give me a N97. That’s pretty fair.

DAMNIT....

Just spoke with the insurance people there, he was steadfast in his claim that the n85 would replace the n95, and said they were waiting on stock of the n85's in galway. :(

They say the N85 is also out of stock so they will give me a N97. That’s pretty fair.

That'll do! Can't be happier with that now can you? :cool:

Rsaeire wrote: »
    That'll do! Can't be happier with that now can you? :cool:

N97 arrived in the post today :D

• Advertisement

GRRRRRRRR.....

i still haven't gotten the N85 !
    :rolleyes:

N97 arrived in the post today :D

I hope you're happy with it. ;)

WOOOOHOOOO!!!

the delay in the n85's has resulted in them relenting.... i'll have an n97 by monday :D

joedumper wrote: »
    WOOOOHOOOO!!!

the delay in the n85's has resulted in them relenting.... i'll have an n97 by monday :D

It seems it's good news for you too; well done. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

25 replies, but 560+ views. I think Vodafone are about to get a slew of calls from people who mysteriously had their phones broken or stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Sorry..should have searched...

Mods can you close this thread.

Well i hope that they have no N85`s left.

Sorry again, so when my N85 arrives tomorrow, should i hop on the phone and say that i do not want it...or will they say that i accepted it over the phone?

Advertisement