Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dress me!

• 31-08-2009 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I never dress up, I live in jeans & hoodies, I try to avoid wearing heels excepting the odd wedding or interview.

For once though, I'd like to look good on a night out. But I'd still like to look like me and not look like I was trying too hard either. Skinny jeans do not suit me at all, and I find it hard to get skirts, dresses and jeans as they are always too long.

I havent bought clothes in ages as I cant seem to find anything that suits me, and I have started finding a lot of excuses for not going out as I never have anything to wear.

So do any of you budding fashionistas have any advice for me, based on what is in the shops at the moment?

(Im a size 12 - 14 if that helps, plus I said I'd go out on Friday night & I want to look nice... I'm already panicking about it!)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For a dressy casual look you could try black jeans, simple top (dark pink would be nice) any maybe a sequined blazer? Very on trend and classy. Add some bangles and a pretty hair band. If you're used to being in jeans and hoodies, it'll be more comfortable than heading out in a dress/skirt for the first time in a while!

These jeans are a really nice shape, not skinny, and not too flared http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&productId=1306088&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=

I'm in love with this! http://www.warehouse.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion//SEQUIN-BLAZER/13346

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

How tall are you? I'm asking because I'm 5ft 1 and I know how you feel about dresses and skirts being too long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Hey hun,

My advice would be, if it's your 1st time wearing something dressy then you have to pick something that you are comfortable with to begin with, there is no point to wear something that you wouldn't be comfortable with

i would recommend you wear a black dress,
    firstly it's classy, and black shapes your body if you wear it right
    you could wear those ones with the belt on it, make sure the belt hits the skinniest part of your waist , its gonna look fab!! to make up for the black-ness, you could wear some bling bling jewellery..and wear high shoes!! ok, if you are not comfortable wearing them then wear wedge, they are easier to walk in .. go to Tk max ..and have a look of the dress section they have good price dresses blackdress_shopbop.png

look at 1,3,5,6..a nono to 2 and 4

hope this helped! good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Avenuegirl

There are plenty of high-waisted skirts around at the moment that probably wouldn't be too long on you, because they are quite short on me and I'm only 5ft5! Or shops like Topshop and Dorothy Perkins do petite ranges which would be worth looking at.
    I wouldn't worry about not wearing high heels, especially right away, if you won't feel comfortable - that'll just make you feel worse! As Candy said wedges are easier to walk in, as are shoes with ankle straps, but flats can be very nice too. There are so many pretty, dressy flat shoes in the shops that many girls wear them out.
    The one thing I would say to you would be to try and be very open-minded when shopping. Go into a shop and take loads of things to the dressing rooms, even if you don't think they'll suit you, because you could be very surprised! There could be styles of skinny jeans, dresses, skirts etc that suit you, because there are many different varieties on the high-street. I'm regularly shocked at how much better/worse things look on me, rather than on a hanger!

Advertisement