Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Garda-Some Questions

Options
  • 31-08-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

Im 21 years old and currently training to be an accountant. This is not my dream job however, and as you've probably guessed, I want to be a Gaurd.

However given the current Eco climate, I intend to finish out my training. Therefore I will be 25 yrs or so before I apply. Is this too old?

Could some one give me a run down of a normal day for a Gaurd on the beat? Perhaps a current member of the force?

Also could someone provide a brief outline of the training involved in becoming a Gaurd?

Is there anyone hear who took the plunge and made a full career change to join the force?

All information appreciated.

Connery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DCTF

Q: Therefore I will be 25 yrs or so before I apply. Is this too old?
    A: No you can apply up until the age of 35.

Could some one give me a run down of a normal day for a Gaurd on the beat? Perhaps a current member of the force?
    It's not really possible to give a run down of a day because there is such a wide variety. Just tried to do a rough estimation;
    arrive station, parade, car or station duties or a post, files, court, calls, calls, calls. swap any of them except the first two around in any order you want.

Also could someone provide a brief outline of the training involved in becoming a Gaurd?

Garda College Templemore for 22 weeks, legal studies, language studies, PE
    Phase 2 Station for 6 months
    Garda College for 12 weeks, and attestation
    approximately 1 year later you do phase 5 end of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

check out this link

http://www.careersportal.ie/careers/detail.php?job_id=200

and watch the videos on the right hand side of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hi connery,
    Search the threads here and you'll find all the info you want. www.publicjobs.ie, www.garda.ie and link as shown above will have info for you.
    NGA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement