Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rib-Eye steak.

Options
  • 31-08-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get properly priced rib-eye steak in Dublin? It seems to be priced the same as T-bone or even filet lately! I was under the impression it was a cheap cut.

Thanks in advance people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Aldi specially selected FTW. It's the best I've ever bought. Evah!

€11.99 for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I've tried the Aldi steak and found it tough. I prefer to go to my local butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

joolsveer wrote: »
    I've tried the Aldi steak and found it tough. I prefer to go to my local butcher.

I've had it about 10 times at this stage, and always found it very tender. And I've recommended it to others, who are now complete converts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

FX Buckleys on Talbot Street do it, about E9 for two good size ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

olaola wrote: »
    I've had it about 10 times at this stage, and always found it very tender. And I've recommended it to others, who are now complete converts.

I might give it another go but my wife will not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks people, much appreciated. I thought it was a cheap cut and that I would get them cheaper, I must have been wrong, I don't know where I heard that they should be as cheap as round or strip.

I will check out Buckleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

far from expert but think they'd be 2nd dearest cut
    maybe 3rd after trying ti figure this out
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Cuts_of_steak_explained_Which_kind_of_steak_is_best

finishes by saying............
    Buy the right steak
    If money is no object, go for the rib eye, the tenderloin, the Porterhouse/T-bone or the strip; but if you're looking for value for money tri a flat boned sirloin for a great beefy flavor, or even cheaper, a top round steak.

Cook it well (hot and fast) and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Cheers for that Soundham, don't know where I heard it was a cheap cut. My da probably.

Have you tried beef skirt? It has a number of different names, it's a muscle near the heart that is never used, lots of fat, has to be BBQ'd rare, really really really tasty, I prefer it to fillet sometimes. And.... dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lightening wrote: »
    Cheers for that Soundham, don't know where I heard it was a cheap cut. My da probably.
    he might have been thinking of just "rib steak" which is cheap. I usually have a good eye & memory for packets & names etc, but I only even heard of "rib-eye" about 3-4years ago. It is a standout name that I would have remembered if I had seen it, was it common in the 80's & 90's? didn't ring a bell at all when I first heard the name. Sounded quite american to me for some reason, thought it might have been the american word for some common cut here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

rubadub wrote: »
    he might have been thinking of just "rib steak" which is cheap. I usually have a good eye & memory for packets & names etc, but I only even heard of "rib-eye" about 3-4years ago. It is a standout name that I would have remembered if I had seen it, was it common in the 80's & 90's? didn't ring a bell at all when I first heard the name. Sounded quite american to me for some reason, thought it might have been the american word for some common cut here.
    I first heard the term rib-eye back in the early nineties in England. This Wikipedia article may clear up the usage of the term (or confuse matters further :o).

• Advertisement
Advertisement