Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are TV3 showing movies so late?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hey all, over the last while I've noticed that the best films on tv (including film4 and all the sky movies) are been shown on TV3 at the crazy time of 3:30 in the morning. I recall Sneakers and Shaun of the Dead and loads more that escape me. It's no real problem, I can record them but I usually miss them as I rarely check that late. Any idea on their logic for showing great films at that time?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Maybe because they can't show them running up to 12 o'clock as Play TV is on then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It's for the nocturnal crowd that stay up to watch PlayTV or whatever. Amazingly enough though their ad breaks are still pretty long. Discovery only have very short ads during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Some people are awake when you sleep op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Some people are awake when you sleep op

That's all well and good, but to be honest vast, vast, vast majority aren't so I would have thought they would put their best movies on at a time when the largest viewing figures are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

That's all well and good, but to be honest vast, vast, vast majority aren't so I would have thought they would put their best movies on at a time when the largest viewing figures are in.

"Best" is relative.

Sneakers etc. are good movies, but to be honest, if they showed a 17 year old Robert Redford movie at prime time instead of whatever lowest common denominator crap they've bought in from the UK, I have no doubt that TV3's core audience would soon be flicking elsewhere for their entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have no doubt that TV3's core audience would soon be flicking elsewhere for their entertainment.

ITV

With magnificent machines like PVR's, VCR's and so on, the time a show is on makes no difference. Want to watch something but not available to watch when broadcast, record it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sneakers etc. are good movies, but to be honest, if they showed a 17 year old Robert Redford movie at prime time instead of whatever lowest common denominator crap they've bought in from the UK, I have no doubt that TV3's core audience would soon be flicking elsewhere for their entertainment.

I'd agree the likes of Sneakers are great films but they don't appeal to the average Joe who likes Corie or other such ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It is because of Play TV.

But I just was wondering what the quality Movies are ?

The Chronicles of Riddick
    Nothing To Lose
    She's Having a Baby
    Trial and Retribution (TV Series)
    Suspect Zero
    Flatliners

That is over the next 2 weeks or so.

TBH they just look like fillers for How Clean is your House and Jeremy Kyle.

Why is Jeremy Kyle on so late :mad: I love that show. (<<<<Sarcastic)

They could always repeat them on 3e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

The were showing a pretty bad movie with Scarlett Johansson in it last night when I got home at about 4am or so,was wondering why they were showing it so late,its usually just infomercials on at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They're not showing films anymore from Friday onwards anyway in the night time so ye've got ye'r wish! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They may have to replace them when Play TV is removed.

Advertisement