Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Toll Help!!

Options
  • 31-08-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I have a question about the toll charges. I have gone through a good few times and generally pay that same day or the following day. However, a friend told me that they send a notice to you re required payment so from then on I decided to wait.

However, come a year + later, I have still never received a notice. And I have gone through it a good few times.

I am afraid to ring them in case they say eh, you owe a sh!t load of cash.

Anyone know of what to do in this case?? I am currently just leaving it and doing nothing!

G00L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There are MASSIVE signs up at the toll area stating that you must pay by 8pm the following day or face penalty charges but a friend told you differently so you obviously decided these signs were just some sort of elaborate april fools gag?

You have either been extremely lucky and the system has not registered any of your unpaid trips or you are in for a large bill.

From the www.eflow.ie website (which incidentally is the first hit if you had googled M50 toll) :
    eflow wrote:
    Penalties

To avoid any penalties, we strongly recommend that you register for an electronic tag or a video (number plate) account. These are the cheapest and easiest ways to pay the toll.

For unregistered users, if you don't pay your toll before 8pm on the day following your journey, a penalty of €3 is added to the outstanding amount.

If you fail to pay the toll and this €3 penalty within the next 14 days, a further penalty of €41.50 will be levied.

Failure to pay the full amount due within a further 56 days will result in an additional €104.50 penalty. Then if you still have not paid the total amount due, legal proceedings will be initiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Vic_08 wrote: »
    There are MASSIVE signs up at the toll area stating that you must pay by 8pm the following day or face penalty charges but a friend told you differently so you obviously decided these signs were just some sort of elaborate april fools gag?

You have either been extremely lucky and the system has not registered any of your unpaid trips or you are in for a large bill.

From the www.eflow.ie website (which incidentally is the first hit if you had googled M50 toll) :

There are also signs up on the M50 going from the N3 to the N4 saying Toll plaza ahead, so you can't necessarily believe the signs either.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

if you got nothing in the post you should be safe enough but you should really register you car and laser/credit card online. even if you only use it twice a year it'd make things alot easier for you. they will catch you eventually if you keep not paying anf you will end up forking out a couple of hundred quid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

G00L wrote: »
    a friend told me that they send a notice to you re required payment so from then on I decided to wait.

They don't send you a reminder - they sent you your first fine notice, doubling the charge from €3 to €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

dannym08 wrote: »
    if you got nothing in the post you should be safe enough but you should really register you car and laser/credit card online. even if you only use it twice a year it'd make things alot easier for you. they will catch you eventually if you keep not paying anf you will end up forking out a couple of hundred quid

Well, they would have to prove that OP went through it for each instance. If they can't do that then obviously the OP doesn't have to pay anything.
    Course they might be getting posted out, but just being posted out to the wrong address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

any chance you changed cars or anyting recently? my da sold his car and whoever bought it never changed it to be registered to him so my dad was constantly getting letters bout fines for going through the toll and not paying!! this guy was always going through toll and just not paying but because car was still to my dad at his add he was the one getting the fines

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭G00L

Nope I have not changed cars recently. Have my current one for about 4 years now.

Its not like I have been going over it regularly. I would say maybe 6 times in the last year.

I dont want to ring them and register now because they may end up saying "Hey look, you owe us a few hundred quid". So not sure what to do.

Hmmmmm....

And yes I saw all the signs etc before. I used to pay it straight up in the opening days but a few I know got letters when they didnt. I tried the same but no letters for me!!! Which is where I am.

If I ring them I could be in for a nice bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well want do you want here? People to tell you that you'll be fine if you ring them? That they'll just let you off? Nobody here can answer that.

So if you want to continue to allow the outstanding amount to increase and hope they never catch you, don't ring them.
    If you want to get it sorted, ring them and take your medicine.

Your decision, your responsibility.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Guess who fell out of the wrong side of the bed eh?

I wanted to see if there was anyone else who has been in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

messrs wrote: »
    my da sold his car and whoever bought it never changed it to be registered to him so my dad was constantly getting letters bout fines for going through the toll and not paying!! this guy was always going through toll and just not paying but because car was still to my dad at his add he was the one getting the fines

Because your Da didn't register the car in the buyers name and address, like all sellers in private sales are supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

did you change address recently either?

i have a tag on the main car and thats worked out grand, went up the m50 in the other car to a wedding a few weeks ago, tried to pay the toll and the only shop that had the machine to pay the toll , was broken.

so didnt pay and haven't recieved an eflow notice yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭FACEPALM

I would call them to make sure if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

The letters have to be going to a different address but id bet my life on it that they've definitly been sent out either way.. Same thing happened me, my car was registered to my old address and I eventually had to pay over €500 in fines! You should ring and enquire anyway, you only have to give your car reg. You either owe them money or you don't, doesn't neccessarily mean you gotta pay it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

OP I wouldn't bother getting in touch with them - they have hundreds nay thousands of cases of misread number plates and cars going through on a regular basis that they have not been able to bill for one reason or another - this was widely reported a month or so ago - look it up in reports I think back in July; there is probably a thread on it somewhere in this forum. If they have not sent you a bill, and they have not chased you - any case would be thrown out - if it came to that - if they suddenly send you a bill for hundreds jsut tell them you paid each time in cash at an e-toll outlet and have thrown away the receipts - their systems have been in dissarray - there are so many horror stories about cock ups with E-flow anyone who challenges them is going to get off - If you haven't heard a dicky bird from them I would keep quiet about count your blessings and don't start paying a penny until they send you a 6 euro bill one day because they have suddenly noticed you, then you can join the rest of us being ripped off by this monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

They used to send out polite reminders in the initial period, and there were a few times when I forgot to pay on time and rang them up after the cutoff (8pm the next day) and they accepted the standard payment instead of double charge.

I also know someone who hasn't been paying for a while, but he didn't run up 500 euro in charges! He owed 30-40 euro, rang them up, and they agreed to waive all the charges if he signed up for an account.

So really, they are an easy company to deal with, but if you want to keep driving without paying toll it's your choice. When the bill comes we'll just tell you - "we told you so" !

I think I might go with Westtips thoughts. I rarely go through the toll anyway. But the next time I go through I may just pay in a petrol station as normal. If anything comes back to me, I will say I paid old tolls at an e-toll outlet.

Ringing and saying "by the way I havent' t paid for old bills, whats the story?", would only be setting myself up for the slam.

Cheers for the responses.

If I get smacked with a big one, I will be back to cry!

The system is a bit of a mess in fairness. Not like I chanced my arm by not paying. But now whether or not to pay future tolls is based on whether I am going to be smacked with a fine!

Choosing not to pay until I hear something could be the best thing also. Have a feeling I may pay the next time as i said in my previous mail.

If you think I am mad to do it, let me know. I just dont want a fine!

Advertisement